Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would you refuse Angel?

I have some questions which are bothering me, and I thought you ladies may be able to clarify matters for me.

One of my staff has recently gotten romantically involved with a lady (they're both in their 50s). When Valentine's Day came along, he was wondering what to get her, and I suggested Angel, as I'd never met any woman who disliked it. He then got her a 50ml refillable bottle in that fabulous star shape.

Today he tells me, that she was over the moon receiving the present, but then gave him a long detailed explanation about how most scents don't work well with her, that she sticks to Opium, Este Lauder and a few other expensive obscure ones, and that Angel smelled like a man's aftershave on her. *End result, the Angel is going to someone else as a present.

My questions are,
    a. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for some women to actually dislike Angel?
    b. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for Angel to react badly with some women, such that they wouldn't want to wear it, though they might not mind it on other women?

Regards,
    Renato

Default Re: Would you refuse Angel?

Well, Angel is notoriously known as a "love-it-or-hate-it" fragrance... :-/

Hi, Renato!
    When Angel was new on the market (and "everybody" seemed to be wearing it) I had to ask at least two women what they were wearing, since I thought they smelled so gorgeous. They were wearing Angel. It didn`t smell quite the same on each lady, but still amazing. Of course I had to try it, but my dissapointment was huge, since it did not smell good on me. In fact it smelled awful, I had to scrub it off of my skin :P
    Some time later I tried it again, with the same result. Had a bunch of people sniffing my wrist, and they all did thumbs down. No more Angel for me, but I still think it can smell gorgeous on others...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Ahhhh that Angel and the forever-ongoing controversy! One person loves it, another one hates it! I completely agree with both cedriceccentric and musse on this one. Angel is a very tricky one… While it can smell like magic on one person on someone else it can be truly no more or less then musty dirt. Go figure!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

a). I do dislike because everyone seems to wear it, I prefer to smell different from the crowd, and I'm not overly fond of gourmand or sweet sweet scents, but lots of women are.
    b). There's a distinct note of mould/cold earth amongst the sweetness when I sampled it (I think it's the patchouli), so it doesn't work with my chemistry.
    I'm also not a blind buyer, chemistry problems, so gifting would never work for me.

My mum was given a bottle by dad, but she also is not fond of smelling edible, though it smells lovely on her.

Basenotes Plus

yep...what they said.
    Personnally Angel is a "scrubber".

Just wondering but couldn't they return the bottle for something she would like? If she refused the gift completely, then I think that there's something else going on here.

Just my 2 cent....
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

OMG! ANGEL has the reputation of being love or hate. About the LEAST universally loved perfume that I know. I thought it was the most vile perfume I had ever smelled...... I too am an Opium lover.
    Gotta say though..............because I bought a mini cause the star was so cute I did give Angel another chance. I now love it, but sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes I cannot stand it. It depends on the weather etc. I love the body cream the best but could never wear Angel on an everyday basis. It is one of my faves however.
    That lady probably HATES it. ;D

Thank you all very much for your candid and most informative responses. I guess my puzzlement arose from mainly from my last and current girlfriends wearing Angel and universally getting positive comments when we went out or went shopping - something that didn't happen with their other scents.

Anyhow, live and learn.
    Renato

I love Angel madly but can't speak for half of the population...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Renato, my experience with Angel went something like this: First time I tried it, HATED it. Second time, I was physically sickened by it. Third time, loved it. However, I have never, ever gotten a compliment while wearing it. I have smelled it now on three people and I have to say it was, all three times, vomit-inducing; so much so that I'm terrified of wearing it again in public for fear that's how I actually smell in it. I don't mind not getting compliments, but I do mind making folks ill. After years of my fragrances always getting compliments, that's not something I could live with. I'm like Glorious1, sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't, but I love the body creme. Angel is a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Renato, my experience with Angel went something like this: *First time I tried it, HATED it. *Second time, I was physically sickened by it. *Third time, loved it. *However, I have never, ever gotten a compliment while wearing it. *I have smelled it now on three people and I have to say it was, all three times, vomit-inducing; so much so that I'm terrified of wearing it again in public for fear that's how I actually smell in it. *I don't mind not getting compliments, but I do mind making folks ill. *After years of my fragrances always getting compliments, that's not something I could live with. *I'm like Glorious1, sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't, but I love the body creme. *Angel is a slippery slope.
    If you'd told me this three weeks ago, I'd have thought your reaction a bit extremely weird - as I'd never had such a changeable reaction to a scent.
    But oddly enough I just went through something similar with a scent called Black Marlin, where I started off giving it a pretty negative review in the Male Fragrance Discussion, then finally wound up buying it and thinking it's pretty good. And curiously, it has a bit of an A*men feel to it, even though its main component is apple.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I love Angel madly but can't speak for half of the population... *
    It's good to see that at least someone here unequivocally likes it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Well, Angel is notoriously known as a "love-it-or-hate-it" fragrance... :-/
    True. And I would personally refuse it. Not that I hate it, but it does not work well on me as no matter how little a put (I even tried to apply it with a roll-on bottle), it is always too strong to the point of nausea, and sticks to my clothes even after laundry!

I would refuse an Angel gift, though I would be delighted as it is such a thoughtful present and surely tells a lot about how the person feels towards me.
    I would probably not refuse Violet Angel though, it is a more friendly scent than Angel to me - but will prefer to wear it dabbed rather than sprayed...

I think your friend should not be offended - be happy that the lady recognized his thoughtful and romantic intentions by buying her such a gorgeous perfume gift, and buy her Opium in parfum or Estee or whatever else she likes in stead... Or: go with her for a romantic perfume shopping tour, and choose a scent that they both like, together...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

On me Angel smells like alcohol-soaked-graham crackers and Pine-Sol. So, if I got it as a gift it would quickly head out the door- to Tigs probably! ;D (Of course I'd be kindly gracious and wouldn't make a scene about it or anything- I just wouldn't wear it.)

I can't say I really hate Angel though, because I have whiffed it on others and it can be lovely and alluring.

I do love wearing Angel Innocent though. :-*
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Personally, I believe that men should refrain from giving fragrances to a woman unless they know her and what she likes very, very well. I've had more than a few disasters, and then you're stuck wearing the damn thing every time you go out with him so as not to hurt his feelings, and end up dumping him just because you can't stand to wear the stuff anymore. Laugh, but I'm dead serious. I have done this.

Which all the more surprises me - not you, Renato, you were sweet to offer your assistance - that a man would ask someone who doesn't even know the woman what to give her. She must be very much in love with him to even bother to explain. :

For the future - there is no such thing as a fool-proof fragrance. Not Angel, not any other. None. Zero. Zilch.

Say it with diamonds.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    Gotta say though..............because I bought a mini cause the star was so cute I did give Angel another chance.
    Same story, recently. I am still on the mini though ;D
    I don´t love the first 15 minutes after application yet, but after that I think it´s divine.

I agree with FroFro. *Perfume is such a personal choice that gifting it can be a disaster unless you know the recipient's likes and dislikes! *I love Angel when I'm in the mood to wear it, but I can understand why some dislike it with a passion! * :-?

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro

Which all the more surprises me - not you, Renato, you were sweet to offer your assistance - that a man would ask someone who doesn't even know the woman what to give her. *She must be very much in love with him to even bother to explain. * :

For the future - there is no such thing as a fool-proof fragrance. *Not Angel, not any other. *None. *Zero. *Zilch. *

Say it with diamonds.
    Oh I have met her a few times - she seemed pretty classy. The whole thing is complicated somewhat by the fact that they live over 150 miles apart, that they both work, and so he couldn't just jump in a car and go down to the city and get her to go with him and buy something.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Linda
    I agree with FroFro. *Perfume is such a personal choice that gifting it can be a disaster unless you know the recipient's likes and dislikes! *I love Angel when I'm in the mood to wear it, but I can understand why some dislike it with a passion! * :-?
    I think your attitude mirrors that of many of the guys at the male discussion site - there are numerous scents they just "hate". Whereas I'm in the camp where I hate none, there are some I dislike, a few I dislike a lot, but I like most. My current ladyfriend is pretty much like me - I've bought her about 20 she'd never smelled before, and she liked them all. Most of my female friends are like that, with the exception of one from 5 years ago, who was very particular and only into Chanel.

Hmmm - if I'd thought about it, this woman who didn't like the Angel had certain striking similarities to the latter Chanel loving one.
    Renato

My take. *I think if a guy gave me perfume for Valentine's Day, I'd give it a few chances before telling him it wasn't for me. *Actually, I'm not sure if I'd ever react negatively over a gift that was based on such a sweet thought. *He did his best. *That's what would warm my heart. *And she could wear it just for him "on special occasions." *Who knows, it may have grown on her.

My husband gave me a bottle of Jovan's White Musk years ago when we first started dating, and I was repulsed by it's scent - and oh! *How cheap! *Is that all he could afford? *Whatever I was thinking, it occurred to me later that what I had wasn't the only one in town, and mentally I kicked myself for being such a shallow, self-absorbed snot. *I grew to love White Musk because every time I wore it (and still do), I think of how his handsome face lit up with a shy smile when he gave it to me "just because." *Y'know what? *It's a man magnet, cheap or not, and it led me to the man I fell deeply in love with and married. *Couldn't have asked for more than that. *;D ;D

"Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Oh I have met her a few times - she seemed pretty classy.
    He he he. Pray tell, Renato, are you suggesting that if a woman doesn't like Angel, she's not classy? I might take issue with that.

The whole thing is complicated somewhat by the fact that they live over 150 miles apart, that they both work, and so he couldn't just jump in a car and go down to the city and get her to go with him and buy something.
    Renato
    I never suggested that's what he should do. In fact, I specifically said (and I quote): "Say it with diamonds." True, that might be somewhat of an exaggeration; however, there are masses and masses of little cute girly things that would do fine - a pin, a necklace, a bracelet, a nice manicure set, little artsy stuff. And they'll last longer, too.

Perfume is, in my opinion, even more intimate than lingerie. Of course, that's just me. I'm weird.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    My take. *I think if a guy gave me perfume for Valentine's Day, I'd give it a few chances before telling him it wasn't for me. *Actually, I'm not sure if I'd ever react negatively over a gift that was based on such a sweet thought. *He did his best. *That's what would warm my heart. *And she could wear it just for him "on special occasions." *Who knows, it may have grown on her.
    He told me she did in fact initially suggest she'd keep it just for going out with him, but since it sounded to him like it was going to be an onerous burden, the ensuing discussion led to their agreeing it would be a good present for a party they were going to.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    [He he he. *Pray tell, Renato, are you suggesting that if a woman doesn't like Angel, she's not classy? *I might take issue with that. *

I never suggested that's what he should do. *In fact, I specifically said (and I quote): "Say it with diamonds." *True, that might be somewhat of an exaggeration; however, there are masses and masses of little cute girly things that would do fine - a pin, a necklace, a bracelet, a nice manicure set, little artsy stuff. *And they'll last longer, too.

Perfume is, in my opinion, even more intimate than lingerie. *Of course, that's just me. *I'm weird.
    I meant classy - as in cheap stuff wouldn't do - and I was right in that respect.

Some men and women must have differing perceptions of underwear. To me, I found a brand I like that fits well, and I spend $15 for a packet of 10 assorted colour ones every so often. End of story.
    The vagaries of those those frilly, different coloured, tiger striped, see through etc expensive women's ones seem to totally escape me, and has been the cause of some exasperation with me.
    Renato

They're pretty, Renato. Sometimes it's as simple as that. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Let's put it this way.....................Angel is VERY powerful. Positive or negative. I've had one man think it was the most wonderful thing he'd ever smelled.....one man never had to do anything but recoil! I could tell with his body language. MIND YOU......these men were other people's husbands....and I was watching their reactions from an objective point of view. Needless to say............they were not a romantic interest but it was interesting to watch and observe.......

Quote Originally Posted by glorious1
    Let's put it this way.....................Angel is VERY powerful. *Positive or negative. *I've had one man think it was the most wonderful thing he'd ever smelled.....one man never had to do anything but recoil! *I could tell with his body language. *MIND YOU......these men were other people's husbands....and I was watching their reactions from an objective point of view. *Needless to say............they were not a romantic interest but it was interesting to watch and observe.......
    I can't argue with that - my last girfriend landed me with Angel.
    What I can't fathom is any guy recoiling from someone on whom it smelled good (i.e. uncorrupted in the manner some women's skins apparently do corrupt it in) - I'd have to think something was seriously wrong with the guy.
    Renato

It was a lovely thought as a present. However, Angel is such a love it/hate it scent. I have Angel and the body creme, and I wear them and like them--however, weather is a factor, and I always apply it lightly. MY DH likes Angel lightly applied, but I doubt that he would like it if I applied it liberally since it is such a full-bodied fragrance.

It is good that she was up front with him--if he wants to give her scent in the future, he will know what works for her, and surely one of the ones she can wear can become special to him.

I would never think it was a good idea for someone to wear a scent they can't tolerate just because someone else likes it. How could this create good memories of their times together?

I, too, am blessed with "one of those chemistries". I can't wear everything that smells good on others.

In the past I've been know to gift someone with scent--but I've learned it is best to find out what their favorites are before I choose--or, if possible, go on a "sniffathon" with them to choose something they really like.

I'd only refuse Mitsouko. It wouldn't be polite, but I don't think I'd be able to hide my dismay.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I don't hate many fragrances in general, since I tend to appreciate different fragrances for different reasons, but I do have to say that there are quite a few that I categorically hate ON ME. I made the mistake of buying J'adore because I thought it smelled lovely on my friend, but I absolutely hated the way it smelled on me. I wouldn't recommend buying perfume as a gift--it's too much of a risk--unless of course you don't mind if the recipient doesn't actually wear it. I've never tried Angel (gasp!) and would love to get my hands on a sample!

Ladylonestar

While I agree that buying fragrances for others carries some risk, it's still a lovely thought. *I came to know and love 5th Avenue, Coco and Dolce Vita because they were gifts to me. *I had never even heard of any of them before receiving them.

My greatest fragrance mistakes for myself were actually made by... ME. *:-[

When BN members ask for fragrance gift suggestions/recommendations, I suggest what they should or may want to check out based on their knowledge of the recipient(s).

Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar

When BN members ask for fragrance gift suggestions/recommendations, I suggest what they should or may want to check out based on their knowledge of the recipeint(s).
    I've been having a pretty good success rate by going through the cheapies section at the local pharmacy, finding the few that aren't junk because they're made by proper designers, and buying them in bulk as presents.
    That's five or six women (relatives/friends) who have been over joyed with my selections based on this method - last year they were all overjoyed my attention to detail in having gotten Gabriela Sabatini's Wild Wind and Gian Franco Ferre's GFF for them.
    Renato

For my sister Angel is a gag-inducer garbage bin-worthy scent, loved the bottle. I havent tested either the male nor the female versions... :-?

Actually, Angel is one of the fragrances I have a reaction to. I had to leave an aisle that someone was wearing it in. I felt physically ill.

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    Actually, Angel is one of the fragrances I have a reaction to. *I had to leave an aisle that someone was wearing it in. *I felt physically ill. * *
    This keeps staying most interesting.
    I know I've had bad gag reactions to copies of Joop Homme and Le Male.

Are you sure it was actual 100% Angel, rather than a similar smelling one (like the Sonia Rykeil one or Wish), or a copy scent version that caused your reaction?
    Renato

Yes, it was most definately Angel. It was right after it came out so it was very easy to recognize. I don't know what it is about certain scents. I have a very sensitive system and every now and then something will trigger it. Baby Phat did, and SL's jasmine scent. I'm talking physically ill. The same thing happened when I used Air Wicks Lavender plug in, my son got sick that time too. Headache, a little dizzy and my throat feels weird.

OK if another man jumps in here? ;D

I find this thread so interesting. I blindly(well, I have A*Men and am in love with it.) bought my DW of 41+ years her first bottle of Angel this past V-Day. I'd asked on another thread of mine the reaction(s) I might expect from her and got some of the same replies that are found here.

She had a terrible cold for a few days surrounding V-Day and didn't try it until a few days ago. Welllllllllllllll, she was underwhelmed but didn't vomit ;D. I, on the other hand was thrilled with the way her body scent blended with her Angel, deliciously eatable for sure :P. So, her final response is still up in the air but I have my fingers crossed.

To complicate things, I just blindly ordered L'Air du Temps EDP for her birthday next month.................. May have two bottles of juice for swappin' soon ?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    OK if another man jumps in here? ;D *

I find this thread so interesting. *I blindly(well, I have A*Men and am in love with it.) bought my DW of 41+ years her first bottle of Angel this past V-Day. *I'd asked on another thread of mine the reaction(s) I might expect from her and got some of the same replies that are found here. *

She had a terrible cold for a few days surrounding V-Day and didn't try it until a few days ago. *Welllllllllllllll, she was underwhelmed but didn't vomit ;D. *I, on the other hand was thrilled with the way her body scent blended with her Angel, deliciously eatable for sure :P. *So, her final response is still up in the air but I have my fingers crossed.

To complicate things, I just blindly ordered L'Air du Temps EDP for her birthday next month.................. *May have two bottles of juice for swappin' soon ?

Dan
    Hi Dan,
    Do you ever get the feeling that women aren't smelling what we're smelling when they wear Angel?

In a way, I'm glad so many women unilaterally refuse to arm themselves with the most potent male sensory assault scent on the market.
    Renato

The first time I tried Angel I found it overwhelming.That probably had to do with the S.A who litterally drowned me in the stuff.I got Angel last christmas, and I dunno if it's me getting older and taste changed ,or what,but I really like it now However,I only use one spray at the time.I always get compliments when I'm wearing it.People say it smells "clean"on me.It's somehow sweet,but not to the point of getting disgusting.The topnotes is peppermint and patchouli on me,then it settles down to a more woody,sweet thing.I DO however tend not to use it as often since it's defenitely my mother in law's signature scent.I find the scent already strong,and she uses at least 3 sprays ,and often reapply during the day.The house tend to smell Angel 2 days after she has left even!So...The result is that when my b.f smells Angel he alwyas thinks about his mom....I wish he didn''t,cause I love it,but .....Luckily we don't have the same kind of skin,so it smells different on her.More newly applied,so to speak.But still a bit ambivalent about Angel after meeting my b.f....

I dislike Angel, and I would be honest about it and ask if I could exchange it. Taste in perfume is like taste in music--highly personal. Do you think, when you buy a fragrance for a gift, that you could present the lady with a sample vial along with the box? That way, she could try the vial before unboxing the fragrance.

I first heard about Angel when Julia Roberts was on the Late Show with David Letterman. He kept telling her she smelled gorgeous and begged to know what scent she was wearing. It was Angel.

I was so intrigued by that reaction, I ran out to try it. Well, lets just say I'm not Julia.

So, I have to agree....body chemistry has so much to do with it.

I would have kept the Angel bottle as a keepsake even if I wasn't in love with the juice. Regifting it seems odd to me unless she knows for sure the person she's giving it to LOVES Angel. (I have visions of this poor Angel bottle going from person to person trying to find someone to take it home and love it....

For me, I fell in love with Angel in 2003. I turns soft and snuggly on me (I'm also very careful to only apply in small doses.) My hubby loves it on me also so it's a favorite to use for an evening bath or spritz on before bed. I feel very sensual and seductive wearing Angel, so I'm a little self consious wearing it in public (but I do sometimes.)

Sometimes I can't stand the stuff. Other times I crave it and must wear it. So it isn't "love it or hate it" with me, rather love it AND hate it. I suppose my bottle has lasted so long because my craving times are fairly few and far between. I have smelled it on a couple of ladies on whom it was so incredible that I didn't even recognize it. Angel is a classic in the making, if it's not already one.

Post Re: Would you refuse Angel?

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue

My husband gave me a bottle of Jovan's White Musk years ago when we first started dating, and I was repulsed by it's scent - and oh! *How cheap! *Is that all he could afford? *Whatever I was thinking, it occurred to me later that what I had wasn't the only one in town, and mentally I kicked myself for being such a shallow, self-absorbed snot. *I grew to love White Musk because every time I wore it (and still do), I think of how his handsome face lit up with a shy smile when he gave it to me "just because." *Y'know what? *It's a man magnet, cheap or not, and it led me to the man I fell deeply in love with and married. *Couldn't have asked for more than that. *;D ;D
    Just wanted to note that I think this is such a beautiful post. When someone special gives me perfume as a present the fragrance is already enhanced by the fact that they chose it for me. Now I don't like Angel but if it was given to me as a present I would at least try to give it a fresh chance.

In general, I think that refusing a present is rude... I mean, did this woman never have a well-meaning aunt or grandmother who gave her hideous sweaters for Christmas? (Knitted raindeer? Snowmen? Cats in anthropomorphic outfits? The holiday season is coming, people... be prepared.) I think that's one of the first lessons you learn as an adult - thank them, wear it once when they visit, and then put it away if you don't like it.

And Angel is not a tasteless sweater perfume. It's just very complex, and it has a lot of mood swings... last night, I wore it to bed, and smelled only chocolate. Some days, I smell patchouli, or red fruits and caramel, or vanilla and cold metal, or any number of different things. No matter how sophisticated my nose becomes, Angel always seems to have a new side to show me, and not all of those sides are pleasant. It's actually a "love it AND hate it" scent for me. If I have a bad day with it, I'm off the stuff for weeks, but when I finally come back around, it's the most beautiful thing I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Ahhhh that Angel and the forever-ongoing controversy! One person loves it, another one hates it! I completely agree with both cedriceccentric and musse on this one. Angel is a very tricky one… While it can smell like magic on one person on someone else it can be truly no more or less then musty dirt. Go figure!
    I realize that in my pervious post I never really answered the original question. The question was: Would you refuse Angel?

My answer is: Heck no!

There were times when I loved it and times that I did not. I've owned a bottle I bought for mysef but ended up giving it away to someone who at the time loved it far more then I did. Now I own a bottle again and adore it... my hubby loves it and I doubt I will be parting with it again.

Besides it's quite rude to refuse a gift, especially one that's given from the heart.
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 1st December 2006 at 02:19 AM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

IMO, this fragrance smells heavenly on Persian and Armenian women. Must be body chemistry.

well, today is the first day I have spent with angel on my own skin, and i like it much better on myself than I did on others!... go figure. I could see how this one evokes such strong positives and negatives.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Talking Re: Would you refuse Angel?

My questions are,
    a. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for some women to actually dislike Angel?
    b. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for Angel to react badly with some women, such that they wouldn't want to wear it, though they might not mind it on other women?

Regards,
    Renato
    (Interesting that this thread has come alive again! Having just sampled Angel the title caught my eye and I thought I'd jump right in. :bounce

Three questions, really.

Answer to thread title: Another BNer addressed this for me: It is rude to refuse a gift.

Answers to a.) and b.) You already got 'em.

Now, MY question....how'd the romance work out??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thumbs down Re: Would you refuse Angel?

I would definitely refuse Angel. Ohh, that smell is too overbearing and heavy. In my opinion, there is no way to "lightly" apply Angel. The packaging is cute...but it stinks.

No offense to those that love it.
    When I smell good, I feel good! Sounds easy doesn't it? It is...a pleasant scent is great for good moods!!

Hi - a year later but...
    I was enchanted the first time I sniffed Angel but it can be cloying & heavy-handed. I worked with a woman who wore it day after day much to the annoyance of the rest of us. The gourmand nature of it is not necessarily something one wants to inhale at 8:30 am on Monday morning. I am wearing Lolita Lempika at this moment so I'm not faint of heart.
    I think Angel is better for evening wear by far & a tailored or shy lady might find it enters the room before she does & find that unacceptable.

Angel smells like grapefruit and BO on me, but I don't mind smelling it on others. The problem with accepting something and acting good about it is that he'd probably go out and get her some more. I don't know if the bath and lotions exist but she might find herself with a whole lot of something she doesn't want. Best to be honest from the start, but in a very cautiously nice way. My husband can't stand Angel. I got a bottle because of all the rants about it, and will keep it because some day I might change my mind, like some do with Mitsouko.

Slightly off topic, but you don't hear much of a buzz about Alien nearly as much as you do about Angel. I think Alien is a lovely scent. When I first tried it, I was a little put off and not sure. I would keep smelling my wrist and it would confirm that it really is a pretty scent. What do you think of Alien? Oh, and, no. I would not refuse Angel as a gift.

I love Angel and bought it for myself when it first arrived in the UK, but soon everyone was wearing it, so I stopped. Now a decent period of time has elapsed, I am wearing it again, though I also have some Rose Angel, which I also enjoy.

Perfume, though, is a very individual thing and I would not like to receive it as a gift unless it was a bottle of something I already knew I liked. A lot of men run out to the shops and buy something like Chanel No.5 because they've heard of it (which, incidentally, I detest). They would do better to let their ladyfriend/wife choose for herself!

Angel...hmmm someone mentioned it already "it is love it or hate it"
    It is not a perfume for weak as it is quiet strong/sweet so if you are not in that type of perfumes (add here something along the lines of Nymphea, Cococabana etc, hell Marc Jacobs as well!) Angel will not work for you...unfortunately!
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet
    I love Angel and bought it for myself when it first arrived in the UK, but soon everyone was wearing it, so I stopped. Now a decent period of time has elapsed, I am wearing it again, though I also have some Rose Angel, which I also enjoy.

Perfume, though, is a very individual thing and I would not like to receive it as a gift unless it was a bottle of something I already knew I liked. A lot of men run out to the shops and buy something like Chanel No.5 because they've heard of it (which, incidentally, I detest). They would do better to let their ladyfriend/wife choose for herself!
    agree on both statements!;-)
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),

Thumbs down Re: Would you refuse Angel?

I cannot wear this fragrance either. It smells like old socks and honey on me, but unfortunately smells like that on most everyone else that wears it if I happen to catch a sniff. On some woman, it can also have a very distinctive BO and suger scent. My best friend has been wearing this for years and I really wish she would fall in love with something new! If someone bought this fragrance for me, I would have to be honest with them and probably return it, as it's too expensive to throw in a drawer and never use.

I haven't tried Angel on my skin yet - I tried it on a card at the shops, and didn't think it was too bad. But now that I have a sample of it, I will be trying it at some point

Red face Re: Would you refuse Angel?

I personally LOVE Angel with a passion.

When I first tried it I found that it worked great with my skin and the sweeter gourmand notes were what stayed with me the longest, however these days I'm sad to say that my skin chemistry may have changed and Angel doesn't work as well for me now as it used to - the musky notes are what come through on me and it reminds me a little of B.O.

I'm so devestated by this because I know what a fantastic scent it can be, I just think it depends on the person using it and how it works with their skin. I think I'm going to have to give Angel Innocent a go instead and see if that can work better for me.

I still couldn't refuse Angel as a gift though, it's such a fascinating fragrance.

ppl can hate angel??? :O:O:O