Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Would you refuse Angel?

I had a sample of Angel and I liked it but my husband wasn't crazy about it. He is not big in gourmand scents, prefers white florals and aldehydes like Fauborg 23 and such. The funny thing is, everytime I wore it I heard, oh, are you wearing Angel? That's sort of a kids scent, isn't it? or All the young girls wear that. Okay, I am almost 50, but really?? Anyway, here in Australia, I guess it has that connotation. Lots of women here don't seem to wear scent on a daily basis. Especially in the hot dry summer, I can see that it is hard to find something that seems appropriate, but I wish people other than the SA's wore scent. They all wear Angel and The One!!
    I also prefer Alien to Angel.

Post Thanks / Like

When Angel first came onto the market, I was a young teenager, and my mom's fashionable cousin wore it. I was heavily into Orientals (wore Spellbound, generally), and asked my dad to get it for me for Christmas. Imagine my surprise when he got me White Diamonds instead. He said, "I smelled something called Angel at the store, but it smelled so awful I knew that couldn't have been what you wanted, so I got you this."

It's a nice scent overall, but the fact that it is worn in such extreme quantities by nose-numb fans has somewhat turned me off over time.

I won't wear it now because my mom wears Angel Innocent. And who wants to smell like her mother?
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I have some questions which are bothering me, and I thought you ladies may be able to clarify matters for me.

One of my staff has recently gotten romantically involved with a lady (they're both in their 50s). When Valentine's Day came along, he was wondering what to get her, and I suggested Angel, as I'd never met any woman who disliked it. He then got her a 50ml refillable bottle in that fabulous star shape.

Today he tells me, that she was over the moon receiving the present, but then gave him a long detailed explanation about how most scents don't work well with her, that she sticks to Opium, Este Lauder and a few other expensive obscure ones, and that Angel smelled like a man's aftershave on her. *End result, the Angel is going to someone else as a present.

My questions are,
    a. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for some women to actually dislike Angel?
    b. Is it a not uncommon occurrence for Angel to react badly with some women, such that they wouldn't want to wear it, though they might not mind it on other women?

Regards,
    Renato
    I absolutely loathe Angel and it smells horrible on me. Also, it lasts FOREVER and is really hard to get off. I once made the mistake of sampling it, and I was running away from myself until I could get into the shower and get rid of it. So yes to both questions - at least from me. I hope that helps! :-)

Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I liked Angel, but at 1st it didn't like me. I don't know what happened, but I tried it again a few years later and it smelled wonderful on me. I love it. I can say that I know some who hates Angel. My cousin who often goes frag hunting with me, hates it with a passion. I wouldn't turn down any perfume to tell you the truth, no matter what it smells like.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

I won a bottle of Angel from a basenoter in a poetry competition and was
    delighted to try it at last. It's very feminine and certainly unique! I wear it on
    those occasions when I feel pretty and outgoing. It's a bit like candy-floss,
    lovely now and then, but not eevery day.

I've tried Angel a few times and if I can get past the initial stage, it really dries down very nicely (it takes a couple of hours) on me. I can honestly say that I don't like it much. For me the Garden of Angels - Angel Violette works much better.

I wouldn't refuse a gift given to me from the heart, however, I would gently ask if I could exchange it in for something more to my liking. And if I really would like to spend time with the Gentlemen, I would suggest that we shop together for something more suitable.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

I like Angel, bougtht it when it first came out. Haven't worn for long time now.
    A friend who worked for Givenchy recently changed jobs and is now a Mugler sa. Her words to me where,"Angel sells its self. Those who like it will buy anything!" By that she meant Angel wearers really buy into the whole package, hair mist, shampoos, shower gel and body creams.

I was chatting with her this morning and on a very wet early saturday morning in the space of 10 minuites she had sold £95 worth of Angel products. The refill of bottles is really big business too.
    DONNA

Actually i have refused an Angel that smelled like it turned, it was rank!
    Not everyone can pull off Angel that's for sure...

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Would you refuse Angel?

I have discovered that I CANNOT wear chocolate -- it smells like something not politely describably on me. The patchouli is OK...but I would have to turn down a bottle of Angel, doesn't work, smells like something nasty on me...I'd donate to someone who can wear it!

I enjoy Angel for a change of pace, but wouldn't call myself a strong supporter of the fragrance -- but then I was never a fan of orientals until just recently.

I think there are other reasons, though, that a man should thing twice before giving fragrance as a gift to a woman in a new relationship. Many women will suspect the guy wants her to wear the fragrance because he's smelled it on some other woman in the past and wants her to smell the same. The only way I would want fragrance as a gift from a man is if he took me shopping and we selected it together (or he asked one of my friends what I was longing for!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I enjoy Angel for a change of pace, but wouldn't call myself a strong supporter of the fragrance -- but then I was never a fan of orientals until just recently.

I think there are other reasons, though, that a man should thing twice before giving fragrance as a gift to a woman in a new relationship. Many women will suspect the guy wants her to wear the fragrance because he's smelled it on some other woman in the past and wants her to smell the same. The only way I would want fragrance as a gift from a man is if he took me shopping and we selected it together (or he asked one of my friends what I was longing for!)

I agree that men should think twice about buying perfume, especially for the likes of us perfume lovers. I think it would be harder to buy for us because buying perfume for us is a science. We analyze a frag down to the flower it came from to the way the bottle sits on our counter. We study our body chemistry and match them to various frags by trial and error. So, to have a man just walk in and ask a SA what he should buy makes me tremble in fear that I will get something that resembles Jean Ne Ta(sp) or something lol.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good for her for being so honest AND very importantly for rejecting the gift in a nice way by explaining 'I have strange chemistry'. Hopefully the gent does not feel rejected - and she's even told him what she does like, so he's got a good shot the next time he wants to buy her something nice.

I completely agree with her. I find Angel vile on my skin - exactly like a cheap 1970s aftershave - it's a complete 'scrubber'. Hate it. Would definitely reject a bottle. (And I'm very polite.)

No I would not refuse Angel. It would be hard to send back a perfume that a man picked out for me. I had a man pick out a cheap perfume that isn't great and I don't love it but I keep the bottle around to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Angel picks "you" rather than the other way around!
    I have a dear friend who invited me to her 50th birthday
    celebrations. As I leaned in to kiss her, she smelled divine- literally
    wonderful. She was wearing Angel and it suited her so well. She
    smelled like the Belle of the ball.

I wore it in the car once, whilst taking my son to a meeting.
    He commented :"I can smell some nice flowery smell in here!"
    "Yes, it's my perfume," I replied.
    Other times I have caught a whiff of Angel on escalators or on
    public transport and thought "what a nauseating smell!"
    Go figure.....

Here's the thing: I actually think that on the right skin type,judiciously applied
    on a crisp wintery night
    there is little to beat Thierry Mugler's most famous creation. However,
    in a crowded space, on the wrong skin-type and over-applied this scent
    is "de trop!" as the French would say.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many of the previous and older replies, I had a HATE IT response to the original Angel for a long time. It honestly turned horrible on my skin. Even my fav SA at Bloomies was befuddled by how poorly it smelled on me. In fact only with relatively recent purchases has my opinion and relationship been changed to a positive one. The change is a result of finally finding the right Angel for me. A couple of years ago I purchased Angel Innocent. Light and fruity and really barely resembled Angel at all. Perfect! As my journey thru this fragrance world continued I tired of Angel Innocent and felt ready to take on the challenge of a more intense version of Angel. But once again when I tested Angel - it was a no go! However, I persevered and found Angel Liquer de Parfum. It is pure LOVE! The rough areas of Angel have been smoothed out. It is like a fine cognac. It is quite lovely. If I could purr I would

I can appreciate Angel (sometimes I like how it smells on others), but I cannot wear it.

Anyway, the original post reminded me why it's usually not a good idea to give perfumes as presents even in a more established relationship. Taste in perfumes is extremely individual and subject to change. If people are comfortable with the idea, it will be better to go on a sniffing tour together.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 5th November 2011 at 12:42 AM.