Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Similar Fragrances (Ladie's Choice)

MonkeyManMatt has a great thread going on the Men's forum of fragrances which smell similar to each other. All suggestions are of course personal opinion but I find it fascinating to see how the world of perfume is so totally diverse and yet still has very common recognisable themes. I would love to see a similar thread develop collating women's perfumes and fragrances which are similar for another interesting resource. Please add your personal findings. All are welcome.
    • Coty L'Aimant = Chanel No.5 - though L'Aimant is less elegant, wordly and 'groomed' than the Chanel.
    • Caron Nuit de Noel = Guerlain L'Heure Bleue - L'Heure Bleue is more floral, romantic and less aloof but they are very similar in nature / expression
    • J C Brosseau Ombre Rose = Coty L'Aimant - extremely similar but Ombre Rose is much more powdery, with a distinct honey accord and is more 'innocent'.
    • Chanel Coco = Fendi Donna - very similar bronze, amber, baroque spice perfumes.
    I have many more but would love to here from others.
    Last edited by moondeva; 5th January 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Similar Fragrances (Ladie's Choice)

Samsara --- TUSCANY PER DONNA, maybe even Euphoria

Ruby Lips --- Paul Smith London

Lovely --- Narciso Rodriguez

"Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I thought Chopard Mira Bai, Ginestet Botrytis, and Micallef Les 4 Seasons-Automne occupied a similar niche.

Mira Bai: black currant, freesia, peach, praline, vanilla, sandalwood

Botrytis: honey, candied fruits, quince, pain d’epice, white flowers.

Automne: bergamot, mandarin, “fruits rouges” (strawberry, raspberry, gooseberry, blackcurrant etc.), lily of the valley, nutmeg, patchouli, vanilla, white musk, sandalwood
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Halston & Niki de St. Phalle (Halston dry down is more powdery on me though)

Ma Griffe & Rive Gauche

Voleur de Roses & Agent Provocateur (more spice in Ap drydown on me; more patchouli anchoring VDR)

Yardley's Oh! de London & Yardley's Sea Jade (one in the same, I say)

Shalimar & Emeraude (vintage Emeraude)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Halston & Niki de St. Phalle (Halston dry down is more powdery on me though)

Ma Griffe & Rive Gauche

Voleur de Roses & Agent Provocateur (more spice in Ap drydown on me; more patchouli anchoring VDR)

Yardley's Oh! de London & Yardley's Sea Jade (one in the same, I say)

Shalimar & Emeraude (vintage Emeraude)
    I agree with most of these and you have just almost quashed a long term lemming of mine!

Niki de St. Phalle = Halston Classic I find that the Niki de Saint Phalle is slightly warmer and more feminine due to the tuberose and other white florals in the mid notes but much prefer the sharper more chypre Halston. Niki de Saint Phalle *also lacks the amazing 'fresh mint leaves' top note that really zings in the Halston less longevity too.

Coty Emeraude (vintage Emeraude) = Guerlain Shalimar *- (I have both) I enjoy the more complex fougere note in Shalimar and find Emeraude more simplistic and linear.

Carven Ma Griffe = YSL Rive Gauche - I have and love the Ma Griffe but have not yet tried the Rive Gauche so am unable to do a direct comparison. However I am aware that Rive Gauche is very aldehydic and has been reformulated into a more acceptable white floral... which puts me off. I shall gladly stick with the original unique Ma Griffe for my citrus chypre kick.

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to many more...

Q: Is Creed Silver Mountain Water similar to L'Artisan's Mure et Musc or Mure et Musc extreme? TIA

Last edited by moondeva; 5th January 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Calypso Mimosa
    Philosophy Baby Grace

&

Benefit Maybe Baby
    Antonias Floret

Obsession = Spark by Liz Claiborne - but Spark is somewhat brighter and more youthfull.

Escape = L'Eau d'Issey - But Escape is warmer and less sharp than L'Eau D'Issey.

Dior Hypnotic Poison and Hugo Boss Deep Red, taht's only a slightly lighter version of HP.

Light Blue - D&G = I love Love - Moschino
    Angel - TMP = Wish - Chopard

Blog Entries

• Christian Lacroix Bazar = Dior Addict2
    • YSL Y = Ivoire de Balmain - Y is lighter and doesn't last a minute on me *:-/
    • Prada Prada = Thierry Mugler Angel - Prada is much less gourmand (no caramel) but same intense musk patchouli dry down

Please keep them coming ladies - remember they are personal impressions / opinions and (hopefully) will not be judged harshly by others who don't agree....

Now I'm off to check out the Boss Deep Red...
    Last edited by moondeva; 5th January 2007 at 05:01 PM.

Well, I still think Velvet Rope(-it's vanilla note) = SJP Lovely. Of course, losing the vanilla makes a huge difference.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Hannorah's Genny and Diva; Lolita Lempicka and Pink Sugar. Someone asked me "Are you wearing Obsession?" when in fact it was Anne Pliska. Then there's Tabac Blonde and a tart, obscure scent called White Witch. Vent Vert, which I swear smells exactly like Alfred Sung's Sung.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Although I am wary of such threads (don't always find the ones mentioned THAT similar )I have to say Samsara and Tuscany per donna indeed begin on the same plane.
    Avon Tomorrow is very much like Poeme.
    Light blue and Be delicious are both so based on apple it's uncanny.
    And D&G By men's is very close to Allure homme (or is that my nose playing tricks on me?)

Rive Gauche and Havoc (Mary Quant).
    AG Gardenia Passion and Fracas, AG being a bit softer and greener in the opening.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Obsession & Susanne Lang's Cashmere smells almost identical to me. Cashmere is a little creamier/smoother.

Two that came to mind just now :

Fracas and Versace Blonde : really close , Blonde being a tad sweeter and a little less rubbery

Ta da!!

I discoverd that Crown Rose's eau de russe (a WONDERFUL scent) is the male equivalent of shalimar!

it's the bergamot! although for the crown rose one the bergamot is somehow more "manly" than the shalimar

ahhhh the legend says this scent was devised for nicholas ii. although an avowed russophile i don't think i am unusual in finding many things about that man, as well as most of his predecessors, quite distasteful. i wonder if he really did actually wear this.

Wink Re: Similar Fragrances (Ladie's Choice)

Similar IMHO (Ladie's Choice)

Fantasy Britney Spears = Clavin klein Euphoria
    J Lo Still = G of Giorgio B H

Chanel 5=Coty L'Amant
    Guerlain Champ Elysees=Bvlgari Femme
    Lolita Lempika=Avon Men's Tomorrow

It is so odd how much our noses can differ, makes it interesting.