Code of Conduct

Default Rube question # 382

Soooo....uhmmm....ya know the "the" in Fleur de the Rose Bulgare? It's actually The' isn't it? Heh, heh, heh. I just thought it was, well....the! Someone on chat was remembering the good ol' Apres London post and what a moron he thought I was...(yeah, it was fun for me...) And really, it was not mean-spirited at all, but kinda nostalgic. :-*

And then this issue came up! And I'm thinking, OMG, am I reallly a moron? ;D ;D ;D I have a bottle of it! I have to know! Pride be d*@#ed!

Is it, in fact, French for Tea (which seems reasonable to me) and if it is, how do you pronounce it?

If anyone (Christ, is that one word, or two?) is interested, I am a highly intelligent, well educated woman. I am not a moron (of course...that's just my opinion)!

I'm a Rube!! ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*..................... :P

Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: Rube question # 382

That's actually cute. I would have loved to see your face when you realized your mistake ;D

I know I mispronounce a lot of fragrances, so bad that I'm afraid to ask for them in person or over the phone. Same with make up. Steela instead of Stila, how would I know that by reading it????

Blog Entries

Hi again. For my two cents worth, french class might pay off after all...I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Tay" to rhyme with "hay". Probably a real fluent speaker will correct me. The (with an accent over the E) does mean tea. "Le" is the word for "the", "Les" is plural,by the way. I have just become interested in all these fragrances and it has been a real education in foreign languages! I love trying to figure out what the titles really mean. Especially the french phrases are so beautiful and descriptive. Actually, one of those phoenetic dictionarys for tourists would come in handy for this, now that I think of it.
    kumquat

Thanks, ladies! From now on I'll know: Fleur de The' Rose Bulgare!!! FdTRB!!!

Flower of Tea Rose Bulgarian/Flower of Bulgarian Tea Rose.

I did take two semesters of french in college. I was absolutely hopeless! The professor was wonderful. He typed out letters at the end, giving students a clear idea of their weaknesses. My letter was three pages long.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Tay" to rhyme with "hay"
    this is not correct! if you pronounce thé like hay people will not understand you!
    the correct pronounciation would be without the final "y" linked to the a you said...in any case thé is pronounced like the first TE from words like Terranova, or teller or terrain , with an emphasis on the e, because it has an accent.

The (with an accent over the E) does mean tea. "Le" is the word for "the", "Les" is plural,by the way
    all of this is correct.

Blog Entries

Thanks for correcting me. It has been a while!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    I know I mispronounce a lot of fragrances, so bad that I'm afraid to ask for them in person or over the phone.
    I'm the same way, and even if I know the proper pronunciation, by the time I finish pronouncing it with my very southern-Texan drawl, it's not recognizable as a word anyway -- just some sort of noise.

You might try this site. I've seen it posted here before. There may be another site that helps with French pronunciations, but I can't think of it. Perhaps someone else will know. I think it's scansoft... something like that.

http://www.nuance.com/realspeak/demo/

Write a list, take it to the store, hand it to the salesclerk and say, "I'm sorry, I forgot my glasses." I do that at the hardware store a lot. And I don't even wear glasses!

French perfumes are always so iffy though aren't they?

anyways . . . but they are just hard to pronounce! Even if you know how they should sound, actually doing it is another story!

Sorry for that dissertation . . . as background info you should know I have spent the last 5 days avoiding my responsibilities and at 3 am there is absolutely nothing left to do but post excessive things about perfume . . . sorry . . . wait . .. this really had nothing to do with perfume either . . .

i was just thinking how lucky we are that there don't seem to be any big chinese perfume houses. that would be even more confusing wouldn't it?

edited: i just deleted the more ridiculous parts of my post, no need to thank me

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish

i was just thinking how lucky we are that there don't seem to be any big chinese perfume houses. that would be even more confusing wouldn't it?
    LOL !!! ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D
    ROLF!!!

Après london.... fleurs de the rose bulgare... ;D ;D ;D

Oh, please Shycat, post it in the OFF-TOPIC section NOONE thread!!!

Not unless squirming has become an Olympic sport. ;D