Code of Conduct

Default l'air du temps edp or edt?

all i've ever smelled has been edt which i like a lot

what is the edp like? is there a big dfference or not??????????????

in trying to research this i have read that the edp is less "sharp" which i suppose is to be expected. is the edp *better* or just *different* ?

Ladylonestar

Default Re: l'air du temps edp or edt?

I used to wear the eau de toilette exclusively, until I finally splurged on the eau de parfum. I just find the edp more intense, I suppose. Occasionally, I've worn the edt as an all-over fragrance and then refreshed with the edp at the throat and wrists. Lately, I reach more for the edp. Sorry that doesn't answer your question. I've never analyzed the differences.

Well actually it does sort of answer it because the difference must be pretty negligible if it's not that noticeable, right? This is a b-day present for my sis and she is sooo picky and although she expressed appreciation for l'air du temps edt i thought an edp that was less sharp might be even safer but then i thought it might be LESS safe because goddamn, she is picky, etc, and i should just get her the exact same thing that she expressed appreciation for

well i hope that's the case at least, we'll see

(if she doesn't like it, believe me, i will know)

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    Well actually it does sort of answer it because the difference must be pretty negligible if it's not that noticeable, right?
    Well, to me, it's L'Air du Temps any way you turn it. *Again, I haven't studied the differences, but it might be just as you say -- for me, if there are differences (other than intensity), they're negligible at least as to basic character.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    This is a b-day present for my sis and she is sooo picky and although she expressed appreciation for l'air du temps edt i thought an edp that was less sharp might be even safer but then i thought it might be LESS safe because goddamn, she is picky, etc, and i should just get her the exact same thing that she expressed appreciation for

well i hope that's the case at least, we'll see
    L'Air du Temps is one of my sister's favorite fragrances, right below EL Spellbound and right above Armani Sensi. *She buys a bottle a month. *Or so she says. *She also uses the lotion. *I treated her to a large bottle of the edp awhile back. *She said she loved it but she can't afford to buy it every month. *However, if your sis loves the edt, you may want to go with that and maybe a bottle of the lotion.

Ladylonestar

Lonefish, I want to borrow something from Serpent that he posted under the Yohji thread. The moment I read it, I realized that it's what I was trying to say about L'Air du Temps edp: "It's just a more concentrated, elegant experience, one for real devotees of the fragrance."

Hm, I think I understand what you mean. Although, I was thinking about this lately -- sometimes I wonder if EDT is in general a little underrated. I thought of this when I put on some Mitsouko EDT. I mean, I love the EDP as well, but the EDT is in some ways superior -- since it's not as powerful in many ways it's easier to really analyze it closely. Maybe I need to just put less EDP on from now on, who knows. But I suppose in other ways you really can't beat a higher concentration. Without being able to smell the EDP of l'air du temps I can't say which one it would be for me, but judging by your description it seems to fall in the latter category. Maybe because L'air du temps isn't that intense of a fragrance to start off with, it doesn't knock you down in high concentrations like Mitsouko.

well i ended up getting her a 100 ml bottle of the edt. didn't think to get her the lotion though. i suppose that might make a good present at some point, assuming she actually likes this (which is a pretty big if). in some ways the lotion probably would have been a safer gift -- since she wears lotion but doesn't really wear perfume. and she is definitely someone who doesn't really like to change her ways . . .

Definitely the EDP for me. And for certain the parfum extrait if you can afford it. The EDT just gets lost on me.
    The L'Air Du Temps bath oil was my favorite. I used it as perfume also, to anchor the EDP. It was beautiful and I was so sorry they discontinued it. The full floral bouquet was in the bath oil.
    When I wear L'Air Du Temps, I start out with the shower cream, spray on the EDT, rub on the body cream, dot pulse points with the genuine parfum, then finish off with a spray of EDP. I find that the fragrance will last about 5-6 hours on me without touching it up.

Regarding L'Air: I would appreciate some opinions of L'Air who have been devotees of it for years, (or like you, LadyLonestar, who have a close family member who has been devoted to it for years)--do you think the fragrance has had any changes over the years?
    I have worn it on & off for about 30 years. I was down to a half-bottle of the pure perfume (1/4 oz.) which is about 30 years old, and my husband bought me a new bottle of EDT for Valentine's Day. So, of course perfume and EDT will have a somewhat different feel--even though one is vintage, and one new--because of concentration. My new bottle of L'Air EDT seems to smell as it did 30 yrs. ago.

Does anyone think it has changed--or do you think it has remained the same through the years?

Ladylonestar

Sue Ellen, I wore L'Air du Temps long ago and for a long time, but then sort of forgot about it until 1999 when I went through bottles and bottles of it. And I've been wearing it regularly since then. My sister has been wearing it continuously since she was a teenager, so for probably 30 years. I've never heard her ever mention it smelling differently, and it smells the same to me.

However, in Chandler Burr's book, The Emperor of Scent, Luca Turin does mention that there has been a substitution of expensive ingredients with cheaper ingredients, making today's L'Air du Temps (in his opinion) "a pale new reflection." He says there's a lot less benzyl salicylate, making L'Air du Temps "like a dozen other fragrances." I would never question his knowledge or inside information on this, but I disagree that even today's L'Air du Temps is like a dozen other fragrances, at least not smell-wise. He does say that today's L'Air du Temps is more chemical, due to cheaper ingredients. Of course, to me, it's still uniquely and enchantingly L'Air du Temps.

Laura, thank you for posting your opinion regarding L'Air du Temps through the years. Since you have been acquainted with it for a long time, and your sister has worn it for about 30 years, you are able to give a unique viewpoint about the scent. It is good news to me that neither of you have noticed a perceptible differencen in how it smells. I also appreciate your inclusion of Luca Turin's information on L'Air.

I am glad L'Air du Temps is still such a beautiful fragrance! I enjoy it now as much as I did 30 years ago.

I've never tried the EDP but do have the EDT, which I love and wear frequently. It doesn't get lost on me at all, and I catch whiffs of myself during the day, which makes me feel ultrafeminine. There's something so magical and classical about this one. Guys seem to love it. Yet it's another one of those love it or hate it frags.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

FufuLaRue, my favorite version is also the EDT. I love the light, spicy, powderiness of the EDT--and while it is light, it still has a lasting quality on me.

well i just wanted to say i gave it to my sister and she was actually very pleased =-o on a side note i personally was not pleased at all with the quality of the bottle -- the cap just rests on top of the bottle without really having a good tight fit -- is this just a fluke or are all bottles like this? -- but she didn't seem to mind that. so hopefully she will continue to like this perfume and maybe even after awhile put on a noticeable amount (right now she is at the stage where she doesn't want to "overapply" so she sprays it away from her and maybe leans in)

LoneFish, my new EDT bottle has the plastic doves on top as the cap with the glass bottle base. The cap fits fairly tightly, with a click. The EDT is available in several types of bottles, at least on websites, I've noticed. Which bottle-type is the one you purchased?

It's the plastic top - glass bottom thing you described. Just like the one you see http://store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0057-awnin34s.html.

Is this the kind you have??

I can't fathom why this one's top won't stay on then :-[

LoneFish, yes, this link shows a bottle just like mine.