Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Ladies, do you wear men's scents?

I'm wondering if I'm limiting myself by sampling only women's and unisex fragrances. Since I so like Rosine's Rose d'Homme* (homme is French for male), maybe there are others to try. The male basenoters don't seem to be shy about cross-gender sampling. Aren't we gals a little behind the times? Anyone want to nominate male-designed frags every woman should trial?

*Notes from Aedes.com: Dry blend starting out with bergamot, citrus, patchouli and vetiver followed by middle notes of vanilla, lavender and leather. Bottom notes of jasmine, mandarin and rose.
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th December 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Serpent

Default Re: Ladies, do you wear men's scents?

A friend of mine just got big decants of Pour un Homme and Zizanie when she went looking for a powdery scent. *I think those would be good for a woman. *Of course, many men's scents would have to be worn by the right woman, often with the right outfit or in the right circumstances (casual wear, or with tweed, for example). *I'll spare you the obvious culprits, Guerlain Vetiver and Eau Sauvage - too late. *Some others:

Givenchy Gentleman
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Dior Homme
    Bel Ami
    Hanae Mori for Men
    Must de Cartier pour Homme
    M7
    Égoïste
    The Dreamer
    Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    Habit Rouge
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Angel Men
    Rochas Man
    Envy for Men

And then there's Le Mâle. *Ladies, this is a women's fragrance. *It's Jean-Paul Gaultier's great joke on the male gender, and somehow, guys bought it. *It's not a men's scent at all. *Why dudes wear this is beyond me. *It's too girly even for most girls. *It's hyperfeminine. *It's supergirly.

I do

But shhhhhhhh!
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Ladylonestar

You may want to try a few or all of these:

Caron Pour Un Homme
    MPG Ambre Precieux
    Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    Coriolan
    Givenchy Pi
    Yatagan
    Yohji Homme
    Heritage
    Third Man
    Guerlain Vetiver
    YSL Live Jazz
    Carven Vetiver
    Estee Lauder Intuition for Men

And from Serpent's list, I'll second:

Givenchy Gentleman
    Bel Ami
    Must de Cartier pour Homme
    Égoïste
    Habit Rouge
    Mouchoir de Monsieur

Serpent

I can't believe I forgot Héritage!

I'll chuck Rush for Men on the list, too. I'm not fond of ol' Gucci Hamstercage, but some women seem to be. In fact, a girl in my office wears Burberry Brit, and it smells like pure cedar on her, so much so, that I always think she's in Rush for Men. Another one to check out that a lot of women might not think of, what with its top notes of petrol and rubber, is Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia. It seems more masculine in smell and notes, but I have a female friend who wears it, loves it, and smells wonderful in it.

I once found myself in possession of a bottle of Versace Baby Blue Jeans which I didn't think much of. I asked a female friend what she thought of it, she said really good, so I said she was welcome to it.

She later told me how various women at her gym and in shops had complimented her on it and asked what it was she was wearing.
    Renato

There's something about Tommy (Hilfiger) that I can't get enough of; I prefer it on a man, but don't have one of those at the moment (the only man I know who wears it is, er, taken anyway), so I have no choice but to wear it myself.

Both Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge are already mentioned, but repetition is a good thing I find Habit Rouge to be less cloying, but slightly similar to Shalimar on my skin. Miller Harris Terre de Bois is actually more masculine than Guerlain Vetiver to my nose (I still wear it), but that kind of woody citrusy fougères are strikingly unisex to me, almost more so than some *female chypres like Mitsouko and Miss Dior. I know that many would disagree about that though *

I must smell Givenchy Gentleman again. Years ago, when I was much less orientated in the perfume world, I would have called it the manliest (and one of the most distinct) scent I had ever known (perfumewise). But a lot of time, sniffing and experience has passed since then

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    The male basenoters don't seem to be shy about cross-gender sampling. Aren't we gals a little behind the times?
    I have worn Égoïste since 1990 and if you check out my wardrobe you'll find many men's scents there. No label can stop me from wearing a scent I like. So I'm not a member of the a/m "we". :
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Before joining BN, I had never even used a shared scent...Just hadn`t thought of it, I guess. Now I`ve become interested in checking out men`s frags, too.
    Got a sample of David Beckham`s "Instinct" the other day, and really liked it!!!
    I will try wearing that a couple of days.
    BTW: My daughter snapped it, and wore it for school today...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Very often.
    Here are my favorites in constant rotation:

Eau Savage
    Gendarme
    Yatagan
    Trumper's Leather
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Pour Un Homme
    Habit Rouge
    Marc Jacobs For Men
    Eternity For Men

I think basically anything is wearable for anyone: if you like the scent *whatever* on you, then go for it!

I recently purchased Iquitos by Alain Delon. It is extremely femine scent made for men, and it would be very interesting to hear has any woman ever tried it, and what did you think of it..??

To Serpent: I don`t think Le Male is that femine. To my nose it holds quite much Fougere elements, and that keeps it masculine. And then it`s just (animalic) musk, which is completely unisex, that I admit.

When Paloma Picasso came out with Minotaur, this with male and female scents really turned upside-down for me. Her female fragans, Mon Parfum, I never liked, but Minotaur I adored on my husband and I had it sometimes myself, too. It is much more soft and almost sweet compared to Mon Parfum.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Sometimes I do...

Givency Pi (already mentioned)
    Rochas Men (already mentioned)
    Joop!
    Magnetism
    Just Cavalli
    Boss Soul

to name a few....
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    And then there's Le Mâle. Ladies, this is a women's fragrance. It's Jean-Paul Gaultier's great joke on the male gender, and somehow, guys bought it. It's not a men's scent at all. Why dudes wear this is beyond me. It's too girly even for most girls. It's hyperfeminine. It's supergirly.
    Supergirly? Most definitely not on me. I'll agree that it has a soft side, but at the same time there is a very masculine sharpness in there that makes my nose burn if i sniff it too long. Wouldn't want to smell that on a woman...

The only men's scent I own and wear is Sables by Annick Goutal. *I bought it thinking that it was a feminine fragrance, and have since learned that her square bottles are masculine or unisex - right? *Anyway, I enjoy wearing it which to me is all that matters! *[smiley=wink.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by perfume
    The only men's scent I own and wear is Sables by Annick Goutal. I bought it thinking that it was a feminine fragrance, and have since learned that her square bottles are masculine or unisex - right? Anyway, I enjoy wearing it which to me is all that matters! [smiley=wink.gif]
    I have two bottles of Sables ~ one in the men's bottle and one in the women's ~ the same juice is in both.

About ten years ago I noticed a bottle of Grey Flannel on my sister's dresser amongst bottles of Joy, First and Channel No 19 and I thought it was slightly odd that she wore a men's fragrance. She told me that some days she just wanted the scent so she wore it. At that time I wasn't quite as obsessed with fragrances as I am now. Now I completely understand my little sister's attitude, and love her even more for it.

I enjoy many shared fragrances and quite a few men's. I like more of the men's Creeds than I do the women's: Original Vetiver, Bois du Portugal and Silver Mountain Water are great on anyone, IMO. I love the entire CdG Incense Series, Odeur 53, Sequoia and CdG2. There isn't a Miller Harris fragrance I don't adore, particularly in the Nouvelle line, and Bond No 9's New Haarlem, Little Italy, and Wall Street are big favorites too. Armani Prive's Bois d'Encens and Ambre Soie are in heavy rotation now and so is Tumulte pour Homme. Villoresi Vetiver and his Musk are big favorites as well.

As has been said before, the distinction between men's and women's fragrances is basically a matter of marketing. I try to ignore it and do as I please.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Opium pour Homme EdP- don't think anyone has mentioned it. Just fabulous on a woman. In some ways I like it better than the women's.

I'd say any of the Etros- what an interesting line.

Ormond for Men- another gem.

Casran- surprisingly refreshing with a sweet, warm dryout.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Quarry, Quarry, Potpourri.
    Banana, anna, vetiver.
    Fee, fi, fougere.
    Quarry!

OK, so it needs some work.

I want to apologize for not thinking of the perfect St. Valentine's Day gift for Mr. Quarry sooner: Guerlain Vetiver. Then you could have stolen from him to your heart's content. Just keep the compliments coming and he'll never know what hit him.

Play your cards right and you can have every damn Guerlain IN THE WORLD!

I wear several, most already mentioned --- Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Sables, Bois de Portugal, 4711

I don't see Sisley's Eau de Compagne, Richard James, Hierbes de Ibizia, Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo, Laura Biagotti's Uomo, Carthusia Mediterraneo, Calvin Klein's Obsession for men (Black), so let me recommend those.

I like many men's scents, but don't wear them often... I like leathery tobacco and fougere scents a lot. My most men's favourite scents that I would happily wear:
    Feuilles de Tabac
    ArbitRary (perfect for summer)
    Dior Homme
    Eau Sauvage (much preferred over the "feminized" version Diorella) - really nice in warm weather
    Egoiste (not available here anymore, but if it was I would wear it)
    Heritage (have you noticed that Prada is very similar to this one? I prefer Heritage!)
    Bvlgari Black
    The Third Man
    Tabarome (Creed)

For some reason, though, I don't usually purchase men's perfumes for myself though. I have started playing with the idea of buying them for my boyfriend though and "borrowing" from him, starting with The Third Man (but I feel guilty using it, so I don't, I only did that when it just got in, I bought it unsniffed, and had to give it a test drive before giving it as a gift! I loved it!)
    I am considering getting Dior Homme sometime soon, I am in an iris mood...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Basenotes Plus

I love quite a few of the masculine scents: Guerlain's Heritage, Sables, Bulgari Black, Lolita Lempika's Au Masculin, Divine's L'homme sage, Gendarme, Passage d'Enfer & Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company. *All of these are samples, not whole bottles but I do love them!

Oh, oh...how could I forget LV Sandalo. I do have a bottle of this one. 8-)
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman
    About ten years ago I noticed a bottle of Grey Flannel on my sister's dresser amongst bottles of Joy, First *and Channel No 19 and I thought it was slightly odd that she wore a men's fragrance. *She told me that some days she just wanted the scent so she wore it. *At that time I wasn't quite as obsessed with fragrances as I am now. *Now I completely understand my little sister's attitude, and love her even more for it.
    I completely forgot about Grey Flannel. I adore it. I love it on a man but once in awhile I can't resist the temptation to spritz some on my wrists.

While I can't say I regularly wear any men's scents, although I do have a bottle of Fahrenheit 0 Degrees that I spritz occasionally

(although one time I was at home and while wearing it I was met with a horrified "why are you wearing a man's cologne?" by my very judgmental sister

although one time while I was wearing Shalimar my incredulous other sister asked me if I was wearing men's cologne . . . )

there are a few men's colognes that I have tried on and smell very nice if I do say so myself

One of them is Burberry for Men -- so minty fresh!

The other is Body Kouros -- so sweet and fresh!

I want to experiment more with niche fragrances that seem geared towards men but this probably won't happen in the near future. (<---that right there is me setting more realistic goals for myself, one of the prerequisites of breaking destructive perfectionist patterns of thought)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

A big "mwahh" kiss on the cheek to each of you for your helpful suggestions. The endless possibilities make Scent Quest a pleasurable game.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    ... endless possibilities make Scent Quest a pleasurable game.
    Right now, I'd settle for some lovely parting gifts and an at-home version of Scent Quest.

I've tried Le Male, Merchant Loup and Marc Jacobs for men. While they do smell nice, they just smell sooo much better on my husband. It must be a body chemistry thing.

[I am considering getting Dior Homme sometime soon, I am in an iris mood...[/quote]

Dior Homme would smell awesome on a woman. Probably better on a woman than on a man.
    Awesomeguy

Yes, why not!

Dune pour Homme
    L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    Givenchy Pi (winter time only)