Code of Conduct

Default Celadon by Estee Lauder

Does anyone remember this? I remember thinking the bottle was cool with its dark green base. Can anyone tell me what it smelled like? thanks
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: Celadon by Estee Lauder

This was one of a trio of fragrances launched by EL for layering in the late 1970s. The only one that survived was White Linen - I cannot recall the name of the third scent. I only smelled it once, but recall it as a green scent (surprise..). I bought White Linen but would have purchased Celadon if I'd had the extra $$.

Interesting you should ask - how did you hear about it?

Serpent

Apparently the scent was called Pavilion.

OMG! I didn't know about Celadon and Pavilion! Please tell me more...

Edit: They are in the basenotes directory! There is a picture of Celadon.
    I also found a picture of Pavillion: http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=214901590

Fragrance trios are never a good idea, they almost all flopped.
    Flops = very rare = very collectible = I want Pavilion and Celadon NOW!!!

Celadon: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124757.html

it comes up ebay every few months

These really pre-dated Jo Malone's idea of intentional layering fragrances. From what I've been told by a friend who worked at Lauder at the time, they knew only one would stick. White Linen was the obvious best seller, which continues to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent
    These really pre-dated Jo Malone's idea of intentional layering fragrances. From what I've been told by a friend who worked at Lauder at the time, they knew only one would stick. White Linen was the obvious best seller, which continues to this day.
    Oh, ok. That's a bit like now with the new Marc Jacobs Splash trio ( http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1138970086 ), Coty already predicts that Rain will be the bestseller.

I also remember Bill Blass fragrance trio: Basic Black, Hot and Nude. I think Basic Black was by far the bestseller, no?

And back to Estée Lauder: from Dazzling, which one is more popular Silver or Gold?

Serpent

It probably didn't help that they also had to compete with a fourth release from Lauder that year, Cinnabar...

Basic Black from Blass was the best seller, but nothing compared to any of the Lauder fragrances. I have a feeling the Dazzling duo has not been very successful for them as they are never listed on the WWD top 10 or even top 100 fragrances, if I recall. Are they any good? I do not remember them being distinctive.

I loved the Celadon by Lauder. I purchased it as my choice of the three when they were first offered. I can't think of anything that compares with it scent-wise. It had a sweet top-note, to me, yet a greenness of character. I remember Pavilion as more of a basic floral bouquet--not as sweet as Celadon, not as sharp as White Linen. To me, White Linen was the more crisp floral scent of the three. I have since worn White Linen, although I don't have it on-hand now.

I don't know whether Dazzling Silver, or Dazzling Gold is more popular now, I think the only items Lauder offers in these scents now is EDP spray, though in several sizes. They may have offered sets in these at Christmas--I don't know.

Though Cinnabar was launched nearby in time to the trio, it was so totally different from them with its pronounced Oriental spiciness.

I loved Celadon.....does anyone know what basenotes were in it? Or what flowers? Im trying to find a similar scent that is on sale now =tho I have yet to find one that I like as well as Celadon.

Dazzling Silver & Gold are so awful, I think Luca Turin wrote favourably about one of them and my jaw dropped when I read it. I worked for Lauder when those were released- horrible stuff.

I found this ad for the Estee Lauder "New Romantics" Trio:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Z9EC...0linen&f=false

Hope it shows up. What neat idea. Ahead of her time again, the public was most likely not ready to layer perfumes in 1978

Eep! Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-CELADON-E...3286.m20.l1116
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 1st October 2009 at 04:34 PM.

To my mind, Dazzling Silver was the better of the (unremarkable) two. Discontinued now, of course.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

So strange, I have no memory of that trio whatsoever. Of course I know and remember White Linen. Maybe it's because I was a teenager in the '70s when those three were released together. I wouldn't have touched an Estee Lauder fragrance with a ten foot pole when I was a teen (now, I wear EL all the time).

Luca Turin loved Dazzling Silver because he said it had a quality like a "sucked silver spoon". I keep meaning to try it some time and see if I get that impression, too. I think he must go for odd stuff a lot of the time, not necessarily what's wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    To my mind, Dazzling Silver was the better of the (unremarkable) two. Discontinued now, of course.
    Aha! Is it truly discontinued or just one of those testers they keep hidden in the back somewhere?
    Last edited by lilybelle; 1st October 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Aha! Is it truly discontinued or just one of those testers they keep hidden in the back somewhere?
    I have seen it in my humble little country town Pharmacy recently, so its apparently still available here in Oz...

I've seen both Dazzlings at my local department stores out here in the Midwestern prairie. They're also on the EL website.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis