Code of Conduct

Thread: Can't decide...

Default Can't decide...

...whether I like Bois de Iles a lot or so-so. Godzilla, you should write an essay on Bois des Iles as you did for Cuir de Russie. ;D

Ladies:

It reminds me a lot of a more refined Ma Griffe. Has anyone else noticed a similarity here?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Default Re: Can't decide...

Ah, I'd love to do that. But sadly, I have not had the pleasure of smelling Bois de Iles yet.

Oh, darn! Then I'll have to continue loving Cuir de Russie, I think... ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Serpent

You love Bois des Îles! *How could you not? *It's marvelous stuff! *That cool alpine top, slightly medicinal, floral and crisp, gliding into that meadow of white flowers, until you tumble into that warm vanilla-woody base, like the roaring fire in a cabin at the end of a day of hiking on a mountain... *It's wonderful! *No other scent sends me on a mental journey like Bois des Îles. *I envision Norwegian fjords, encircled by snowy peaks and endless pine forests, flowering meadows, ending in a small little cabin with a roaring fire at the drydown. *So cold and remote at first, distant and glacial, then so warm and inviting at the end: *It's a very special fragrance. *The eau de toilette is less floral and less sweet, a bit more masculine. *The parfum is so rich, unbelievably brilliant and more feminine with the added jasmine. *This is the pinnacle of Chanel's perfumery, that multi-layered elegance that just wraps around you. *It's both hard-angeled and whisper-soft as only Chanels are - that paradox is at the heart of the Chanel mystique.

You love it! *Buy three bottles!

N.B.: *Most people know this, but in case you didn't, Bois des Îles provided the blueprint for Égoïste. *Égoïste has lavender and a few other changes, but the two scents are very, very similar. *Try that one, too. *Never mind that it's for men. *Anyone can wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    You love Bois des Îles! How could you not? It's marvelous stuff! That cool alpine top, slightly medicinal, floral and crisp, gliding into that meadow of white flowers, until you tumble into that warm vanilla-woody base, like the roaring fire in a cabin at the end of a day of hiking on a mountain... It's wonderful! No other scent sends me on a mental journey like Bois des Îles. I envision Norwegian fjords, encircled by snowy peaks and endless pine forests, flowering meadows, ending in a small little cabin with a roaring cabin at the drydown. So cold and remote at first, distant and glacial, then so warm and inviting at the end: It's a very special fragrance. The eau de toilette is less floral and less sweet, a bit more masculine. The parfum is so rich, unbelievably brilliant and more feminine with the added jasmine. This is the pinnacle of Chanel's perfumery, that multi-layered elegance that just wraps around you. It's both hard-angeled and whisper-soft as only Chanels are - that paradox is at the heart of the Chanel mystique.

You love it! Buy three bottles!

N.B.: Most people know this, but in case you didn't, Bois des Îles provided the blueprint for Égoïste. Égoïste has lavender and a few other changes, but the two scents are very, very similar. Try that one, too. Never mind that it's for men. Anyone can wear it.
    Well, three bottles may be a bit much - I probably should finish the one I have first. You're right, of course - I do like it. It's just that I'm not really used to scents like this - I usually wear heavier, earthier scents. That's partly why I can't decide just how much I like it - while I do like it a lot, it's somewhat out of character for me.

But I may have to re-evaluate my position after your post. Thank you.

As for Egoiste - I'm sorry to say, I'm not a great fan of the fragrance. While I agree that it smells pretty great on some, as a standalone it's not one that I would immediately think of. Maybe with time I'll mature into liking it more
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    As for Egoiste - I'm sorry to say, I'm not a great fan of the fragrance. *While I agree that it smells pretty great on some, as a standalone it's not one that I would immediately think of. *Maybe with time I'll mature into liking it more
    You're thinking of Égoïste, not the fake, phony, awful Platinum Égoïste? The two smell nothing alike.

Anyway, that's fine. After all, you have three bottles of Bois des Îles to work through. And No. 22! Buy some No. 22 while you're at it...

No, the original. With the ad (which I loved) of all those ladies slamming their balcony doors...

I never really liked it for some reason, even though I really-really wanted to.

One of Bios des Iles, one of Cuir de Russie, and #22 I love, but the one I had is now empty and I'm reluctant to buy yet another one - I have a lot of stuff as it is to work through. But I'll probably buy it anyway. I have no self-control.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Serpent

I guess I'll be nice and not add Gardénia to the list, then.

Cuir de Russie is so wonderful. With Bois des Îles as a floriental, Cuir de Russie as your leather chypre, and No. 22 as your dazzling aldehydic floral, you're good to go! Great stuff, all three. Chanel really is a marvelous house, the best women's fragrance house, in my opinion. (Take that, Guerlain!)

You know, I don't think I'd like Gardenia, judging by the description. Gardenia and vanilla... hmmm...

I certainly wouldn't buy it without trying it first (as i did with both BdI and CdR).

Chanel certainly is a wonderful house, however, I don't like a lot of their scents. On me, I mean. Those three are probably the only ones that do smell nice on me, the rest more or less suck.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    You know, I don't think I'd like Gardenia, judging by the description. *Gardenia and vanilla... hmmm...
    There's no real gardenia in Gardénia. Jasmine is the predominant floral note in that one, with a bit of vanilla in the base (not much). All the notes blend together to make an impression of gardenia. Keep in mind this scent was formulated in the 1920s, long before things like headspace technology. Gardenias are so expensive to extract, Chanel used jasmine and vanilla and other notes to create a sort of impressionistic soliflore of gardenia. If you sniff it to try to pick out the individual notes, you can get them. But if you just try to see the forest and not the trees, it really does smell like an impressionistic gardenia, so much so that it's better, I think, than any synthetic, technology-derived gardenia, which is every other gardenia on the market.

Give Gardénia a try. It's marvelous stuff.

Godzilla, you should write an essay on Bois des Iles as you did for Cuir de Russie.
    Ah, I'd love to do that. But sadly, I have not had the pleasure of smelling Bois de Iles yet.
    Can't wait till you do.