Code of Conduct

Default Why separate boards?

Please feel free to move this topic if you do not feel this is where it belongs.

Granted, I've only been here a week, so please don't take this as my trying to set new rules here; however, I find that this division into male/female boards somewhat unnecessary. *In fact, for some topics, it's positively counterproductive - I find myself and a few others cross-posting all the time. *Particularly in the "SOTD" topic.

I've also found that - surprizingly - I post way more to the male board, yet am not that fluent in the "male scents" category (probably more than the average person, but certainly far less than the vast majority of the members here).

Additionally, I've found a lot of cross-[s]dressers[/s]smellers among the members. *Men wearing (and discussing) female scents and vice versa (heck, I've been known to wear men's scents from time to time, too).

The only reason I'm asking this is because I would like to understand where I should place my messages - for example, the "signature scent" thread, a topic on which I would like to hear both the male and female members' input.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't it make sense to post everything regarding fragrances to one board and - if this is an issue - use message icons to determine which scents this refers to. *For example, the same ones used for the fragrances in the database, and the unisex icon can be used for unisex fragrances and topics that are related to fragrances in general, not particular ones (like the "singature scent" one).

This is not even a suggestion, more of a question. *
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Default Re: Why separate boards?

i suppose it's just for convenience. i would guess that although there is a lot of overlap, in general, men will mostly be interested in men's scents, and women in women's. men will also tend to know more about men's scents, and women more of women's. (at least that's how bn started out). seems to work pretty well. i agree that there are many generic fragrance topics that could really be on both boards. i dunno. you could post the main thread on one board, and a link to it on the other board if you want to.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Segregation! ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Because when the boards were labelled Human and Simian the monkeys whined about having to share with the men.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Because when the boards were labelled Human and Simian the monkeys whined about having to share with the men.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    I don't cook, clean, or put icky things near my mouth.
    i do all of those things.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

For historic reasons

When Basenotes in 2000 it was started it was a men's fragrance site. We added Women's fragrances into the directory and a corresponding discussion board in 2004.

Why wasn't women's fragrances added to the men's discussion?

Because there are many busy fragrance boards on the net. Perfume of Life is busy, MUA is busy, Perfume Addicts is busy. If I combined the boards I would have:

a) eventually a perfume board no different to the others.
    b) alienated most of my members (at that time 90% male) who came to Basenotes for men's fragrance discussion.

This is why they are separate. It works well in the main. The boards aren't really about men's fragrances only, and women's fragrances only but it provides a good starting point to narrow down the threads you wish to read about.

I agree - there are a few things in which it is difficult to work out which board to post in. Unisex fragrance may be a case in point. But if you want to discuss women wearing it, go to the women's board.

Cheers for taking an interest

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=FroFro link=1139428347/0#4 date=1139432067]I don't cook, clean, or put icky things near my mouth.
    i do all of those things. *
    [/quote]
    Ah! We're meant for each other!!! ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Ladylonestar

Sounds like you're almost in pain, FroFro. Such a dilemma.

This topic comes up for discussion from time to time. I've no idea the outcome of the discussions, however. Some like the separate boards, some don't. I may be imagining this but I seem to recall someone even conducted a poll quite awhile back. Hmm... :-? Can't remember.

Oh, I'm fine either way, was just wondering in terms of maybe I shouldn't be posting some stuff where I post stuff.

And I do feel rather awkward cross-posting. However, if something interests me, I'd be more likely to put it on the male board since it gets more traffic; but then I'd feel like a traitor... Hence the cross-posting...
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes
    For historic reasons...<snip-snip>
    Thanks! I appreciate it, this is very helpful.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I too wish the female/male boards would be combined into one. I wear alot of "womens" scents but post mainly on the mens board because that gets the most traffic. I think it would work out very well and would not get lopsided into discussing mainly womens or mens scents.
    Awesomeguy

For historic reasons
    Historically, girls have been known to have cooties.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Basenotes link=1139428347/0#6 date=1139432273]For historic reasons
    Historically, girls have been known to have cooties.[/quote]

Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Basenotes link=1139428347/0#6 date=1139432273]For historic reasons
    Yes, I do believe Joel is correct. The boys were concerned over "girl germs", according to DustB. ;D

Actually, originally, the female fragrance board wasn't even located here with the guys. We were down the road a-ways at our own site... for a brief but lovely, glorious time. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=Joel_Cairo link=1139428347/0#12 date=1139510751][quote author=Basenotes link=1139428347/0#6 date=1139432273]For historic reasons
    Yes, I do believe Joel is correct. *The boys were concerned over "girl germs", according to DustB. *;D

Actually, originally, the female fragrance board wasn't even located here with the guys. *We were down the road a-ways at our own site... for a brief but lovely, glorious time. *Sigh... * *[/quote]
    That's because they're afraid that their germs will get smitten with our germs.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I guess I'm the minority of one who doesn't check the guys' site very often. My husband isn't really big on men's frags, and I don't wear many of them, either. Personally, I prefer the split boards.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I like the split boards as well. It seems a tidy bit of organization. I reply over there whenever I like, but I post only on female fragrance discussion so far, and it will probably stay that way. I don't know so much about men's fragrance, and though I gotta say it's funny over there, and entertaining, I don't have much to really contribute except audience appreciation and laughter. I figure people posting on a forum want other people to read it.

Plus, they make me want to smell their fragrances, just so I know what's up. I can't afford that!!! Except...maybe Kouros. You'd never catch me wearing musty urinal, or for that matter checking out the men's room for a sniff-- yeek. But...the lemming...she is a different woman...
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Actually, originally, the female fragrance board wasn't even located here with the guys. *We were down the road a-ways at our own site... for a brief but lovely, glorious time. *Sigh... * *
    Do you know - I'd forgotten all about that !! [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Ladylonestar

Do you know - I'd forgotten all about that !! * [smiley=embarassed.gif]
    How could you forget that I cried when you were going to have to move us? I loved it. I know someone else who remembers it fondly and misses it. Besides, I think a few of my best reviews are buried there, somewhere. I didn't make copies of them. :'(

Let's see... Basenotes was HERE. We, the female fragrance folks, were THERE. Then you moved the entire Basenotes to our location, but there wasn't room... something like that, so you had to move all of us back HERE. Something like that.

Ah - this brings back a few memories!

http://web.archive.org/web/200312031...umereview.com/
    http://web.archive.org/web/200406051...?board=perdisc

I have the archives on my computer, and I plan to (one day) put them on the site, along with the missing archives for the men's board.

Ah - this brings back a few memories!

http://web.archive.org/web/200312031...umereview.com/
    http://web.archive.org/web/200406051...?board=perdisc

I have the archives on my computer, and I plan to (one day) put them on the site, along with the missing archives for the men's board.
    Its also bizare to see that if you click on a thread Mr Basenotes is logged as a guest!

Well x 3!

;D

Serpent

Ah, yes, the ill-fated beta site is what LadyL. is thinking of! (Not Perfume Review.) *All of Basenotes was to be there, and the women's board went there first. *And, when the men's board followed after a crash here, the women's board was so robust and humming, they were actually jealous of the activity. *The women's board was the hot ticket. *Sadly, when the beta board also crashed (So many crashes!) and we then came back here, this one, being so new, just never regained momentum...

Too bad.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Ah, yes, the ill-fated beta site is what LadyL. is thinking of! *(Not Perfume Review.) *All of Basenotes was to be there, and the women's board went there first.
    That's the one. Thanks, Serpent!

... the women's board was so robust and humming, they were actually jealous of the activity. *The women's board was the hot ticket.
    I remember that now. Someone even posted a concern on the men's board that the female fragrance board was beating them in threads posted or post count, or both.

Great fun, good times.

I remember that now. Someone even posted a concern on the men's board that the female fragrance board was beating them in threads posted or post count, or both.

Great fun, good times.
    I bet they're gloating now. We have to redeem ourselves!
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Ah, yes, the ill-fated beta site is what LadyL. is thinking of! *(Not Perfume Review.) *All of Basenotes was to be there, and the women's board went there first. *And, when the men's board followed after a crash here, the women's board was so robust and humming, they were actually jealous of the activity. *The women's board was the hot ticket. *Sadly, when the beta board also crashed (So many crashes!) and we then came back here, this one, being so new, just never regained momentum...

Too bad.
    Oh, God - I'd forgot about that too -- I'd forget my own name if I wasn't made to wear a name badge.

Ladylonestar

Oh, God - I'd forgot about that too -- I'd forget my own name if I wasn't made to wear a name badge.
    That's the one I was talking about. It was right after PerfumeReview. I think I began posting either late June 2004 or July 2004. Can't remember.

Oh, this Community has quite a history allready! Very interesting reading, thank You for sharing!

I am totally comfortable with sepatate boards for female and male fragances, as I´m not reading the male fragance board. It would be more difficult for me to find what I´m interested in if the boards where mixed.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Oh, I'm fine either way, was just wondering in terms of maybe I shouldn't be posting some stuff where I post stuff.

And I do feel rather awkward cross-posting. * However, if something interests me, I'd be more likely to put it on the male board since it gets more traffic; but then I'd feel like a traitor... *Hence the cross-posting...
    Fro-Fro,

i'm a guy and i realy enjoy that you want to share with us dudes. *In fact, *it was your cross posts and some posts by some other smart women like shy cat, kim chi, lizzie, ayala, cclogne junkie that lured me to check out the conversations on the female side. i'm glad I did. those girls all rock. at first iI felt like i might be eavesdropping or maybe unwelcome, same stuff youre struggling with but i see so many dudes here on the female board and girls on the guy side and so many cross posts that i agree with the posting up top: the divisions are mostly for convenience because probably most people don't read both. nobody seems to mind, including the head dude King Basenotes. (king? *;D you mean this isn't a democracy?) *even your moderator lady lonely star doesn't really mind despite missing the good ol' days of gals only. * :'(

i think having the general division is good for focus but i don't take it that there is anything wrong in people mixing. its more interesting. why should you feel bad about cluing us men in on things? *we love it. keep those posts and cross posts coming. *i really like them on those best of posts (best evening, best summer, best oriental, best leather, best vetiver). it's really nice to hear your viewpoint.

and tell the truth, wouldn't you women miss cedriceccentric and noseorgy and magnnum and pm and me and all the rest?

8-)

[quote author=baiesbaby link=1139428347/15#28 date=1139666320][quote]
    tell the truth, wouldn't you women miss cedriceccentric and noseorgy and magnnum and pm and me and all the rest? 8-)
    /quote]

We would miss you all!!! Your input at the women`s forum gives it an extra dimension, imho.

:-*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I totally agree with the previos speaker!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

imho i dont see the reason to have different board cos i buy indifferently men or so called women frags ,if this is a board for perfumes lovers why all these barricades between us ,actually i have to say that my most beloved frags are for women :-[ :-[ :-[mitsouko,l'heure bleu ,jicky,narcisse noir etc .etc

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by baiesbaby
    your moderator lady lonely star
    Please tell me you just misread her handle, because that's not funny. It's just kinda childish and mean.