Code of Conduct

Thread: Advice?

Default Advice?

Hi! I'm going down to Sephora in a couple of days to buy my girlfriend some perfume, and I need some advice on what to get her. She's tall, 5'9, she's a redhead and she's a soft and curvy kind of girl. She's sweet and very intellegent. Any ideas on what to get her? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Serpent

Default Re: Advice?

Could you give us anything else regarding her olfactory preferences? *What has she worn before? *What has she told you she likes or dislikes?

If this is the first fragrance for her, that's fine, but it would help if we have some more information. *For example, what has her mother worn? *I've found many women don't want what their mothers wear, e.g., if their mothers wore heavy white florals, don't you dare buy them a white floral. *By "soft and curvy," is she, ahem, zaftig? *I'll be lynched for this, but many heavier women do better in orientals, while slim girls can just drown in a scent like Dior Addict. *Vice versa, a light scent like L'Eau par Kenzo will burn off on a heavier girl but work well with someone thin as a rake. *What's her fashion sense? *Modern? *Vintage? *Casual? *What designers/labels does she like? *Her personality? *Is she sporty? *A museum-goer? *Junior leaguer in training? *Bohemian? *Professional-type? *Goth? How old is she?

More information means a better profile for us, better recommendations for you, a better gift for her, and, ultimately, better lovin' for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Could you give us anything else regarding her olfactory preferences? *What has she worn before? *What has she told you she likes or dislikes?

If this is the first fragrance for her, that's fine, but it would help if we have some more information. *For example, what has her mother worn? *I've found many women don't want what their mothers wear, e.g., if their mothers wore heavy white florals, don't you dare buy them a white floral. *By "soft and curvy," is she, ahem, zaftig? *I'll be lynched for this, but many heavier women do better in orientals, while slim girls can just drown in a scent like Dior Addict. *Vice versa, a light scent like L'Eau par Kenzo will burn off on a heavier girl but work well with someone thin as a rake.

More information means a better profile for us, better recommendations for you, a better gift for her, and, ultimately, better lovin' for you...
    She's worn Flower by Kenzo. I think that her mother wears Joy. Is she zaftig? Well, she's tall and curvy. She's not skinny, but she's not exactly heavy, you know what I mean? I like to tell her that she's lushly built. Let's see, what else... Well, she wears red boots and short dresses, or blue jeans and sneakers. She wears a lot of red. She doesn't wear a lot of jewelry, but what jewelry she does wear is usually small and silver. She likes listening to punk rock or alternative music. Hope this helps!

Serpent

Did she like the Flower by Kenzo? *I work with someone who wears it, but it was a gift, and she doesn't really care for it. *But it was a present, and she won't waste it. *How does she feel about it.

Someone who wears a lot of red. *I wear a lot of red. *I smell a girl who needs a bottle of Kingdom. *(Just kidding.)

Are you stuck shopping only at Sephora? *Their selection sucks. *I take it this is somewhat last-minute Valentine's Day shopping. *What are your shopping options so we can know what purchasing options are open to you. *What city are you in so we're not telling you to go buy Etros or Armani Privés you have no way of getting your hands on in Terre Haute.

Miss Dior Chérie pops immediately to mind, but I think that, given her denim-and-rock style, it might be too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Did she like the Flower by Kenzo? *I work with someone who wears it, but it was a gift, and she doesn't really care for it. *But it was a present, and she won't waste it. *How does she feel about it.

Someone who wears a lot of red. *I wear a lot of red. *I smell a girl who needs a bottle of Kingdom. *(Just kidding.)

Are you stuck shopping only at Sephora? *Their selection sucks. *I take it this is somewhat last-minute Valentine's Day shopping. *What are your shopping options so we can know what purchasing options are open to you. *What city are you in so we're not telling you to go buy Etros or Armani Privés you have no way of getting your hands on in Terre Haute.

Miss Dior Chérie pops immediately to mind, but I think that, given her denim-and-rock style, it might be too sweet.
    She likes Flower okay. She likes the Bulgarian Rose note. I could go somewhere else then Sephora. I could also go to Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales or Perfumania. I live in Minnesota. I'll have to check out that Miss Dior Chérie, thanks for the suggestion!

Serpent

Seriously, Flower is all about the violets and sugar. Rose my foot! :P Flower smells just like Choward's violet pastilles, through and through. I love it, though. I'd stay away from MyQueen because of the similarity to Flower, in fact.

Dune came up in another thread, and I think she might like that. It's sweet, but not too sweet, floral, but not too floral. It gives the impression of the seaside without employing marine notes at all. It's a really lovely fragrance, one someone who like Flower could appreciate, I think. Moreover, it's sold at many Sephoras and not one a lot of women wear. It's got a casual quality to it, too, I think your girlfriend would like. It's not heavy or stiff at all.

If she likes roses, then Stella is one of the best rose fragrances is years. It's just lovely, lovely dewy English roses kissed with amber. It's not heavy or musty like many rose fragrances tend to be. It's the rose fragrance for, again, a casual, modern woman. The one problem with Stella is that its longevity can be the pits. But it's a wonderful scent, so you might gamble that it will work on her.

I don't know why I'm recommending this, but something in the back of my head is saying, "Gucci Eau de Parfum" over and over. This one has terrible press on these boards, but, in my practical experience, I know so many women who love this scent. Yes, it seems to be missing something. Yes, it's an odd duck. But I seem to find the right women - an older lady I worked for in college, a former coworker, even my mom - who adore this scent. It's sort of sexy and fun. It takes itself very seriously, but it's not worth taking seriously, a sort of Fellini film of a fragrance - rich and empty, all at once. I can't explain why, but I just have this strange gut instinct to recommend this to you.

There are many more I could and probably will recommend. Here's a start.

Thank you! I'll try all of those out!