Code of Conduct

Default Decanting 4711 Cologne From Gigantic Bottle

So I bought this gigantic bottle of 4711 cologne splash for $9.99 (was I out of my miiiind? LOL) at Filene's the other day with hopes of refilling my 4 oz. spray size. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish distilling 4 ounces of 4711 from a half gallon bottle into a little 4 oz. spray bottle?
    Where can I find a functional funnel in the Chicagoland area? And is it a better idea to pour the fragrance into a plastic cup and pour from cup into funnel to avoid spillage?
    Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Decanting 4711 Cologne From Gigantic Bottle

Hi Rita,

I personally would use a syringe or pipette, but then again, I work in a lab.

So I would suggest making your own funnel. You can make it out of tin foil. Cut a disk out, say around 6 inches or so. Fold in half, and then in half again. You'll find that you can open it up into a "funnel". You may want to tape the seam, just in case to prevent leakage. Then cut the very tip off with a scissors, and presto! [/macgyver]

Hope that helps!

#

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I personally would use a syringe or pipette, but then again, I work in a lab.
    Since I am clumsy and tend to make messes when trying to use funnels and such, I purchased syringes from a medical supply company. I don't have any right now, so I forget the sizes I used, but some were very slender and long and some were larger. No mess for me! I didn't buy the needles, just the syringes. If there's no medical supply company near you, you could check your local pharmacy to see if they can sell to you.

Thank you both! Lo and behold I DO own a syringe! I bought it to flush out a clogged ear, but the ear opened up before I could use it, and it's just been sitting around in its plastic bag, untouched.
    Thanks for reminding me - it never occurred to me that the syringe method would be easiest.
    If all else fails I will construct my own tin foil funnel.