Code of Conduct

Default Bought Lovely today

So, I didn't really like this much when I first tried it. I wasn't comfortable with the patchouli note in it, and didn't think that the mix of notes was appealing. I found it intriguing though, and would occasionally sniff the magazine strip I saved of it, while still thinking it wasn't something I would ever wear. I haven't even noticed anyone around me wearing this. Then, this past Friday I was at a conference and someone in the crowd was wearing this and it smelled so good. Understated, sexy and a bit mysterious. It lingered in the air and had a definite presence, but it wasn't obtrusive. And lately there's been a lot of buzz about this fragrance on MUA, so of course reading about it all this weekend really brought my desire for it to a fever pitch. I tried looking in my collection to see if I had anything similar in feel, but no, nothing satisfied my craving for it. So, I broke my rules about 1) not buying fragrance based on how it smelled on others and 2) not buying a fragrance until extensively tested on my skin (i.e. no impulsive buys). I did walk around the mall for a while after spraying this on and yes, it was as I thought. I now liked this on me. One good thing is that I managed to get a good value with a gift set which included a full sized body lotion for just $7 more.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Bought Lovely today

I try Lovely every time I spot it -- trying to see if I can recapture that first lovely, gossamer-like spritz I experienced months ago at ULTA, when I sprayed it in the air and let it sort of fall on my arm. No luck. I hate it more every time I smell it. I'm beginning to wonder, however, if there are different batches out there, especially now that you like it, Plumeria. I feel that if you like it, it simply must be good and I should like it, too. But I don't.

How's the lotion compared to the fragrance? I ask because a few years ago, when I detested Angel, it was actually the lotion or creme (or both) that kept haunting me until I finally decided I loved Angel. I wonder if the same might happen with Lovely?

I bought Lovely when it first hit the dept stores. I liked it, but wasn't crazy over it. Then I bought a bottle of Narcisco Rodriguez, and I liked that better. Lovely is a nice scent, but for me, it's not an earth-shatterer like Nuit de Noel, Parfum Sacre. Still, I suppose I will wear the Lovely again once the springtime hits with a frilly, girly dress.

I really do like Lovely, and went through an entire sample debating weather I liked it or not, as well as spraying it on me everytime I saw a bottle at a department store or perfume shop. After a month or so of thinking about it, I finally decided I liked it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I'm beginning to wonder, however, if there are different batches out there, especially now that you like it, Plumeria. *I feel that if you like it, it simply must be good and I should like it, too. *But I don't.
    Oh no, it would be very unwise to ever use me as a guide for fragrance with my fickle nature :. I'm crossing my fingers that Lovely is not yet another passing fancy.

How's the lotion compared to the fragrance? *I ask because a few years ago, when I detested Angel, it was actually the lotion or creme (or both) that kept haunting me until I finally decided I loved Angel. *I wonder if the same might happen with Lovely?
    Hmmm, when I used it this morning it seemed pretty true to the edp. But I must add that I applied both lotion and edp with a very light hand today. I didn't want to be caught at work overwhelmed with an unfamiliar fragrance. I'll give an update on the lotion later on. I did notice somthing weird on my first wearing today. Halfway through the day, something about Lovely reminded me of Paloma Picasso. I just checked the notes, but I don't see any similarity.

I wear Lovely and bought a 100ml bottle for myself after receiving numerous compliments while wearing the sample. I have a male friend who was very interested in buying it for himself until I explained the name and the designer. It's a shame really, I tried to encourage him to wear what he likes, but he was simply afraid to use it. It dries to a very comforting lavender and patchouli skin musk on me, though the longevity could be better. I agree that there are some similarities between Lovely and Narciso as I have both, but I find Lovely to be slightly more sheer and less floral.

marlen

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Lovely is a nice scent, but for me, it's not an earth-shatterer like Nuit de Noel, Parfum Sacre.
    Actually, that's one of the reasons I like Lovely. I find the earth-shatteringly stunning fragrances difficult to wear on a regular basis with my very casual work attire.

Marlen, that is too bad your friend is now afraid of it, because I think it could smell really nice on a man. I find it easier to wear than Narciso.

Hmm, I think I am going to go put some Lovely on my husband that is asleep at the moment

Ladylonestar, I've got the lotion on one arm and spritzed the edp on the other. The lotion is nice. It's not super-fragranced, but it's not too light either. It smells pretty similar to the edp, but smoother. It doesn't really accentuate different aspects of the fragrance like Angel lotion and body cream do, but it probably acts as a good base for the fragrance to make it last longer. As I keep sniffing, I realize that I'm liking Lovely more and more. To me it smells very natural and appealing.

KimChi, did you actually spray it on your husband? Did it smell good on him?

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria
    Ladylonestar, I've got the lotion on one arm and spritzed the edp on the other. *The lotion is nice. *It's not super-fragranced, but it's not too light either. *It smells pretty similar to the edp, but smoother. *It doesn't really accentuate different aspects of the fragrance like Angel lotion and body cream do, but it probably acts as a good base for the fragrance to make it last longer. *As I keep sniffing, I realize that I'm liking Lovely more and more. *To me it smells very natural and appealing.
    Well, I swear, Plumeria. I can't believe this but I've got to try the lotion now! I'm going to the mall this weekend so I'll see if I can find it to sample. Surely at least one department store will have a tester of the lotion. I may even give the fragrance one more spritz. ;D

I didn't spray it on my husband, because he still smelled like Musc Ravageur (which I had sprayed on him earlier)....hehe, I will have to try this again later.

I smelled Lovely a while ago when it hit the shops and everyone was loving /hating it (more the latter it seemed at the time) and I found it dreadful. It smelled confused, old, like it had been sitting in a sunny window for fifty years gathering dust. I washed my arm three times and swear I could still smell remnants of it. I was so geared up to love this fragrance as I am a huge fan of SJP's style and this fragrance promised to capture the essence of her ecclectic yet expensive tastes (I'm a sucker for a big glossy ad campaign). I still don't like it having tried it twice more but will persevere...maybe it's like wine and I'll 'mature' into it...?

Halfway through the day, something about Lovely reminded me of Paloma Picasso. *I just checked the notes, but I don't see any similarity.
    THIS is why I'm NOT keen on trying Lovely. *I had heard now and again that there is a chypre accord, lurking around in there somewhere. **Glad you've been enjoying it though. *
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by kissandmakeup
    I still don't like it having tried it twice more but will persevere...maybe it's like wine and I'll 'mature' into it...?
    Well, I'm still surprised that I like it now. Really, it seems just by accident that it caught me at the right moment. I'm hoping it doesn't revert back to my initial impression of it, which was not good. [smiley=undecided.gif]

Artisankey, that's interesting because I'm always drawn to chypres, but at full strength they don't work on me. Maybe it's the chypre lurking in Lovely that's part of the attraction.

Ladylonestar, if for some reason the stores don't have testers of the lotion, I'll figure out a way to get some to you to try.

Ladylonestar

Ladylonestar, if for some reason the stores don't have testers of the lotion, I'll figure out a way to get some to you to try. *
    Plans have changed and I don't think I'll make it to the mall this weekend, but where there's a will, there's a way, right? I appreciate the offer but let me see if I can find it locally first. Thanks! :-*

I've seen references to Lovely as a chypre, too. While it may very well be a chypre, I don't really get that at all. I know that chypres are a very complex group and there are numerous sub-categories but Lovely just doesn't come across as a chypre to me. The heart of this fragrance is patchouli, and at the heart of Lovely is patchouli and florals. The base is musky and woody, but more musky than anything. It's more like a floral semi-oriental to me. No idea if that's even a category.

Like Narciso, Lovely is a "nouveau chypre". Nouveau chypres tend to replace the tradional oakmoss (the classic chypre accord is rose, patchouli and oakmoss) with musk.
    Because of the patchouli Lovely is for me even closer to the real chypres than Narciso, Lovely reminds me a lot of Coriandre by Jean Couturier.

Recently, there was even a fruity "nouveau chypre launched" under the name of Armani City Glam for Her (pink bottle).

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    ... Lovely is a "nouveau chypre". Nouveau chypres tend to replace the tradional oakmoss (the classic chypre accord is rose, patchouli and oakmoss) with musk.
    I understand basic chypre, basically put, with the citrus top (often bergamot), floral heart (often rose) and earthy base of oakmoss and most likely patchouli. There are a number of chypres that don't *feel* like chypre to me, but when you take out oakmoss and sub in musk... a key component is lost and at that point it can be... just about any category fragrance. At least that's my humble opinion.

Because of the patchouli Lovely is for me even closer to the real chypres than Narciso, Lovely reminds me a lot of Coriandre by Jean Couturier.
    Ah, I see. Well, I guess to me, with such a preponderance of patchouli at the heart of Lovely and such a preponderance of musk at the base... it's just another fragrance. I know that Narciso turns to pure camphor on my skin, and so it could very well be that these "nouveau chypres" will never work for me.

Recently, there was even a fruity "nouveau chypre launched" under the name of Armani City Glam for Her (pink bottle).
    Haven't sampled that one yet. I know Miss Dior Cherie has been called a "gourmand chypre." I guess new categories must be created to accommodate these *new* creations. Afterall, they must be put somewhere, right?

I've loved Lovely from the first sniff at the department store. I bought a large bottle that night and now I'm on my 2nd 3.4 oz. bottle. I get complements all the time. I guess I'm lucky that it works well on my skin.

Ruby

Hi ya, Ruby! Welcome to the boards! This post of yours inspired me to do a full test of my Lovely today! Its really a delight, going to be a great, refreshing summer scent.

notes: mandarin, bergamot, rosewood, lavendar, apple martini, paperwhites, orchids, pathchouli, cedar, white amber, woods

So far, in my first hour, I get an eye opening, good morning [smiley=blank.gif] world grapefruit and lavender, appropriately dry and a touch bitter. I know its a winner for me when I find a smile slipping onto my face for no other reason than I'm catching a whiff of it.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

[quote author=cedriceccentric link=1137457365/15#15 date=1137745251]... Lovely is a "nouveau chypre". Nouveau chypres tend to replace the tradional oakmoss (the classic chypre accord is rose, patchouli and oakmoss) with musk.
    I understand basic chypre, with the citrus top (often bergamot), floral heart (often rose) and earthy base of oakmoss and most likely patchouli. There are a number of chypres that don't *feel* like chypre to me, but when you take out oakmoss and sub in musk... a key component is lost and at that point it can be... just about any category fragrance. At least that's my humble opinion.

Well, I guess to me, with such a preponderance of patchouli at the heart of Lovely and such a preponderance of musk at the base... it's just another fragrance. I know that Narciso turns to pure camphor on my skin, and so it could very well be that these "nouveau chypres" will never work for me.

I know Miss Dior Cherie has been called a "gourmand chypre." I guess new categories must be created to accommodate these *new* creations. Afterall, they must be put somewhere, right?
    [/quote]
    Nouveau chypre is a new concept to me. I just can't see chypre without oakmoss. That's the one must-have ingredient. Musk and patchouli as a substitute does turn it into just another fragrance. I think an artful blending using vetiver/patchouli might be able to approximate the oakmoss, but I'm a little nervous. Are the classic chypres, with their awesome ash smoke qualities, inching towards becoming Long Lost Fragrances?
    I think of the chypre accord as Bergamot, Rose/Floral, and Oakmoss.
    I'll have to try Lovely again - my one sampling was in a department store and I wasn't taken. At the time, I'd heard it described as a chypre, and was expecting something different. It seemed quite forgettable.