Code of Conduct

Default The Hairspray/Deodorant Accord

Ok, I now know I'm not the only one who experiences this because I read all of Calchic's reviews last night after discovering that her first several trial experiences with Stila Creme Bouquet resulted in "ew, gross, air freshener-bathroom cleaner-cheap powder." I wanted very badly to like Stila Creme Bouquet - all the notes are right up my alley. But on me it never, ever fails to smell like the ugly stepchild of a hairspray and deodorant marriage. Worse yet, I have had the exact same sensation with Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum and Nanadebary Pink, as well as a few others. What's the deal with this? Does anyone have any idea what makes this happen? Does anyone else have watch list of hairspray/deodorant fragrances? I realize it could be that I use a powdery deodorant and I haven't used hairspray since like the 80's, so I might just be stuck in some sort of olfactory time warp. But this -whatever it is- is ruining perfectly wonderful fragrances for me.
    "...all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."
    Molly Bloom's soliloquy, Episode 18 - Penelope, Ulysses by James Joyce, 1922

memory & desire: musings on poetry & perfume

Default Re: The Hairspray/Deodorant Accord

Condolences :P

Yes, nearly everyone (except a blessed few) gets that reaction from time to time. Some more, some less.
    For me, I get it most often with modern florals. Some call it the 'department store smell'. I don't quite get the powdery deodorant note, just the hairspray.

I assume it comes from artificial floral chemicals, as I handle old florals fine. But I don't know which chemicals are responsible. I just know it when I smell it.

Glamorous by Ralph Lauren is one that comes to mind as especially bad, though there's many that are unwearable for me because of it. The few Elizabeth Ardens I tried also reacted on me. I got it also with the Nanadabary Pink. I have a list, but it's much too long

Some fragragrances also have ozone, which is a purposeful fragrance accord that doesn't sit well with many people, but it's a little different smell than the hairspray. A lot of oceanic, fresh air, and water scents have this.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I get that note a lot from Orlane B21!

Hey, from a guy's perspective- i love that 80's hairspray kind of smell on a woman. Rive Gauche pour homme has a bit of a vintage hairspray note and girls love it on me. I miss that smell from the 80's when all the girls had teased hair and all that jazz. For a hormonal boy, the smell of a girl's hairspray was heavenly!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

I think I get this from Ralph Cool - may be the worst fragrance for a woman, IMO...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Hey, from a guy's perspective- i love that 80's hairspray kind of smell on a woman... *For a hormonal boy, the smell of a girl's hairspray was heavenly!

Well! This IS indeed interesting. I would never have guessed. Of course I have to know what it was/is about hairspray that is so alluring, since I personally find most hairsprays gag-worthy. Does it have something to do with being aroused by the fantasy of a woman's grooming routine? Is it something else all together different? The more quirky and off-beat the better I suppose. It's all so INTERESTING. ;D
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Hey, from a guy's perspective- i love that 80's hairspray kind of smell on a woman.
    Wow. Wow. I have never even thought of this as a possible turn on. Hmmm....
    "...all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."
    Molly Bloom's soliloquy, Episode 18 - Penelope, Ulysses by James Joyce, 1922

memory & desire: musings on poetry & perfume

Hmm...What is it about that "hairspray note?"

well, I do find the smell of a woman's hair very arousing. So I think when I smell hairspray, its a bit of a "tease" heh-heh. I can't really explain in intellectual terms what it is about that smell, but it just works for me. And maybe because when I was a teenager, some of the girls' hairstyles required alot of Aquanet, so there's a association.

The sexiest scent I've smelled on a woman is actually Gendarme. It kind of smells like a combo of hairspray and a nice clean freshly shampooed scalp smell. Wonderful on a girl!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton