Code of Conduct

Thread: CABIN FEVER

Default CABIN FEVER

This weather is killing me. Here in USA Tennessee, we've had the mildest winter ever, so far. Looks like spring, feel like spring, but it's NOT SPRING. I'm starting to get pissed off. I only have so much self-control. Today, I say f*** it, I'm starting seeds. This is strictly for mental health, by the end of April they'll be leggy and rootbound. But I say, what the h***, yes, what the h***, I say!

It used to be a secret, but now you all know, 'cause I'm fixin' ta tell ya....I have all the best spring scents, already. And mine are better than yours! That's right, uh huh! And I'm going to wear them all, possibly today.

DEEEP BREATH>>paranoia<< sets in.

What are your favorite spring scents? The ones you kinda 'save' for spring?

Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: CABIN FEVER

Cat, I sympathize. It's been nothing but slate gray skies here in central California for over a week. I'm fed up with gray! Bring the sunshine back for heaven's sake! I absolutely hate winters here. Rain rain rain.

My fave spring scents are Evyan's Most Precious, Fracas, Lauren, Blue Carnation (also quite heady in summer), Yerbamate, and a host of others that I can't quite think of right now.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Blog Entries

LOL - Easy tiger! Breeeaaattthh!

I used to only have two seasons: Winter and Summer thanks to the odd British weather. Now, with global warming we have a Spring - Yay and I am now enjoying sorting a formidable spring time perfume wardrobe from my extensive collection.

I am amused to find that even though I don't 'do' florals many of my possible perfumes are in fact very floral indeed! ;D

• Vintage Balmain Jolie Madame - leather and violets
    • Cerruti Image for woman - my sig HG foral..except it has no florals! ;D
    • The Body Shop Cotton White - light fresh and very long lasting
    • The Body Shop Japanese Musk - fresh, rich, 'clean' chypre (another HG)
    • The Body Shop Passionflower
    • The Body Shop Pink Pepper
    • The Body Shop Ananya
    • Halston Halston for women - amazingly fresh and green and CHYPRE (yet another HG)
    • Dana Chantilly - very similar to Dior Dioressence but softer and smoother.
    • Guerlain Mitsouko (EDT)
    • Ivoire de Balmain
    • Givenchy III - I shall be wearing this right through until next winter.
    • Cacharel Anais Anais
    • Gres Cabotine - lasts forever with the most amazing sillage!
    • Lanvin Arpege
    • Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass
    • Hermes Rouge

Quite a few to choose from heehee!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

When spring comes, I yearn for Apres L'Ondee, Gianfranco Ferre edt, Clarins Eau Dynamisante, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, La Chase Aux Papillons, Cipresso Di Toscano.
    There IS something about the grayness in winter. I'm used to winter being the most brilliant days of the year because of the snow (though the shortest), and I wear sunglasses more in winter than summer. But when I went to visit relatives in Seattle several years ago in November, I was surprised how gray, wet, dreary and dull it all seemed without the snow. I thought I'd really enjoy it, but that wasn't the case at all. It was actually a little depressing and I was only there two weeks! So now I don't complain (as much) when I'm shovelling snow.

We've had some lovely days in the 40's and 50's in Maine- very unusual for this time of year here. More heavy snow last night though, so I have no delusions that spring is actually on the way. I'm still in heavy incense & spice mode here- although once in awhile I'll break with a summer or spring fragrance.

I'm actually having a hard time pulling up tons of spring fragrances to mind- spring is so far off still here. What's coming to mind is: Bulgari Pour Femme and Paris. I don't seem to wear them at any other times of the year- but they are really, really great then.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Guerlain Après l'Ondée
    Monty Taylor's Ambra di Venezia - narcissus and jasmine with top notes of mango, mandarin orange and lime
    Parfums DelRae's Amourouse tangerine, cardamom, tuberose, jasmine, cedar, moss and honey. green and floral

And I am dying to sniff Hermesesence's new fragrance for women due out this spring, I will check my notes tomorrow for its name.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

What cabin fever?* I started on a low dose of Paxil last summer to head off perimenopausal potholes and prevent nighttime serotonin-drop anxiety attacks, and I'm here to tell ya, I love gray days, sunny days, dry days, wet days, icy days, and Wisconsin nights that are dark for 16 hours straight. * *Of course, I love La Chasse aux Papillion and Cucumber Baie for hot days because they're scrumptiliousus.*;D So, anybody want me to send you a sample vial of Paxil in a swap?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hmmmm, not a bad thought, Q. I'm 'only' 43 but nature is weird about such things. I'll keep that in mind if I don't feel better soon. In the meantime, I'm starting tomatoes wearing rose soliflores.

My great great grandmother said, if you can't sleep at night, get up and scrub the kitchen floor. After that, the bed feels good and you can sleep late the next day without feeling lazy.

Today I washed my front porch railing. I know its not exactly the same situation, but action of any kind beats doing nothing! Plus, now at night I have a bunch of new perfumes to investigate!!!!

:-* :-* :-*Thank you all, my dears.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    * In the meantime, *I'm starting tomatoes wearing rose soliflores.
    Which ones do you wear?

My great great grandmother said, *if you can't sleep at night, get up and scrub the kitchen floor. * After that, the bed feels good and you can sleep late the next day without feeling lazy.
    pure genius...sorry to be eavesdropping on your conversations ladies, but I like to think it helps me understand women better...not that they're hard to understand in the first place. I should stop there.
    Plus I look forward to smelling spring frags on women ;D ;D ;D
    Bring on the Mimosa Pour Moi

Hmm I think my newly-acquired Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert is just dying for spring to come around. The blanc is definitely winter and The vert is definitely spring. At least, from where I stand.

From my pespective, you are welcome anytime, NoseOrgy.

Plus I look forward to smelling spring frags on women
    Bring on the Mimosa Pour Moi
    Now I thought if Mimosa Pour Moi because it is such a lovely and enlivening scent, but Mimosa are really summer flowers so I discounted it. You are right, I was being too literal. It has the energy and lightness of spring.

I would also like to add a meltingly pretty spring fragrance that I unaccountably forgot yesterday: Guerlain's le Muguet, particulalry delicious and sprightly with a full, fruity greeness. It has a simliar effect on most men as Mimosa pour Moi seems to have on NoseOrgy.

NoseOrgy and others. I stand corrected. It happens that Mimosa bloom several times a year, not just in summer when I have experienced it. So bring on the Mimosa pour Moi.

Here's an interesting excerpt from a bit about 'Women's Day" (Festa Della Donna) in Italy, a holiday that has been observed throughtout the years on a variety of days in early March. Originally a part of a Roman custom meant to welcome spring and the New Year (March 1 for Romans). Festa della Donna is a day sacred to Ariadne who helped Theseus slay the minotaur but was then abandoned by him (even women of antiquity had poor judgement about men.) *But that's all right, since she went on to marry Bacchus, demi-God in charge of wine and ecstasy among other things. A much better time was undoubtedly had by all.

Authorities don't agree how or why, but the custom started in Italy -- some sources say in Rome in 1946 -- of men giving their wives, mothers, daughters, and other women friends sprigs of bright yellow Mimosa flowers on March 8. Women have since also started to give Mimosa to each other. The flowers are intended as a sign of respect for the women and also an expression of solidarity... This mild year some Mimosa trees in Rome were already in bloom at the end of January, so there may not be much left by March 8. *

http://www.mmdtkw.org/VMimosa.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    NoseOrgy and others. I stand corrected. It happens that Mimosa bloom several times a year, not just in summer when I have experienced it. So bring on the Mimosa pour Moi.

Here's an interesting excerpt from a bit about 'Women's Day" (Festa Della Donna) in Italy, a holiday that has been observed throughtout the years on a variety of days in early March. Originally a part of a Roman custom meant to welcome spring and the New Year (March 1 for Romans). Festa della Donna is a day sacred to Ariadne who helped Theseus slay the minotaur but was then abandoned by him (even women of antiquity had poor judgement about men.) *But that's all right, since she went on to marry Bacchus, demi-God in charge of wine and ecstasy among other things. A much better time was undoubtedly had by all.

Authorities don't agree how or why, but the custom started in Italy -- some sources say in Rome in 1946 -- of men giving their wives, mothers, daughters, and other women friends sprigs of bright yellow Mimosa flowers on March 8. Women have since also started to give Mimosa to each other. The flowers are intended as a sign of respect for the women and also an expression of solidarity... This mild year some Mimosa trees in Rome were already in bloom at the end of January, so there may not be much left by March 8. *

http://www.mmdtkw.org/VMimosa.html
    Cool little bit of info there. I have yet to actually see or smell real mimosas so I am not happy about that. It's good to know that Ariadne made out for the better in the end. I mean wine AND ecstacy. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

i will take this opportunity to again plug one of my alltime fav feminine scents. this is because i want as many women to wear it as possible, to increase my chance of smelling it randomly during the day.

Spring Flower
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Tomatoes are like fragrance, there is no perfect one for all occassions. Determinate tomatoes have compact vines and bear a ton of fruit all at once-good if you make huge batches of sauce for yourself to can. Indeterminate bear all summer, one or two fruits at a time, generally must be staked, and have the best sandwich flavor. Heirlooms have great flavor, hybrids are disease resistant. So, I grow Brandywine-I,Heir,sandwich. Stupice-I, Heir,early, cold tolerant cherry. Siletz-D,Hyb,early. Celebrity-D,Hyb,very disease resistant. Heatwave II, D,Hyb,heat tolerant, disease resistant. I like to grow the yellow pear tomatoes-Heir, and one called Aunt Ruby's German Green-Heir, which remains bright green when ripe...this year I'd like to try a grape tomato, and maybe Brandywine Black. And usually Burpee's Better Boy, and and Early Girl, whose stats I don't recall. I get seeds from The Tomato Growers Supply Company P.O. Box 2237 Fort Myers, FL 33902.

Uhmm, were you talking about rose soliflores? ;D ;D ;D

Hey!!! I also have some seeds here for Sensitive Plant-Mimosa Pudica. "A low, spreading plant with pretty,feathery leaves that amazingly react to the touch by *folding up*! Dainty pink mimosa-like flowers appear late in summer."

I wonder what they smell like?????

Shycat, I enjoyed your Rhapsody on tomatoes....

Have you ever tried Sisley Eau de Compagne? It has the sublime scent of warm tomato leaves. Not just my interpretation; it really does have tomato leaves. It is very nice and though made for men, i think, i wore it years ago as a summer casual scent.

Noseorgy --
    I mean wine AND ecstasy.
    yes, it was that AND part that made me cheer for Ariadne

Cool little bit of info there. *I have yet to actually see or smell real mimosas so I am not happy about that. *It's good to know that Ariadne made out for the better in the end.
    I sometimes see Mimosa at my florist. Ask yours if (s)he can get some in.

You can see a piture of European Mimosa, the scented variety, at the following url. *The image has no scale reference, so keep in mind each yellow flower is tiny, like the size of a pencil eraser if not a little smaller. It is a sprig with a cluster of flowers that grows on the trees. The trees have the same fern-like leaves as other mimosa varieties that when touched, fold in together from their central stem -- like a book closing or a butterfly closing up its wings.

*The N. American varieties have a long fluffy pink flower that looks a little like maribou (those fluffy, downy feathers that adorn 1950's style high-heeled mules one wore with girly-sexy pegniors and other lingerie). I dont think they have much scent.

http://static.flickr.com/4/7237770_422331d12a.jpg

I have AG Folavril on the way, maybe it'll get here today!!!

[smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] (I just wanted to see this one in a post.)

Hey!!! They're like little suns!!!! [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif] [smiley=blank.gif]I'm hot now!

Ladylonestar

"So, anybody want me to send you a sample vial of Paxil in a swap?," Quarry said jokingly. Let's not get Basenotes busted, Quarry.

I don't *save* fragrances for seasons, but it seems to happen naturally that I crave whatever makes me feel cool and fresh when temperatures soar into the 90s and 100s here in my corner of the world. One of my favorites is Ma Griffe. There's just something about this green-cinnamon liquid that's crisp, cool and classy.

Others are Bill Blass Nude, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica, La Nuit, Dolce Vita, Paris (especially when it rains), Oscar, Norell, Private Collection, Irma Shorell Rose, L'or de Torrente, No. 22, L'Air du Temps, White Linen (hopefully, I'll be able to find the EdT Ltd Ed again!)... to name a few. I'll most likely add Apres l'Ondee and The Hamptons this summer.

But I'll also often wear Cinnabar, Theorema, Youth Dew, Opium or MPG George Sand, if I crave them and I often do even in the summer. Angelique Encens, Estee and No. 5 -- I wear year round. Messe de Minuit stays by my bedside, winter, spring, summer, fall.

Yes of course, Ladylonestar. Quarry knows I actually am a doctor, I think she just wanted to remind me I could be a patient, too. Certainly, that was a joke!

On the other hand, this IS Rose you've been talking about has my attention, the directory lists one IS frag, and discontinued at that. Can you tell me something about it??

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Certainly, that was a joke!
    Yeah, the Paxil swap was a joke. I thought the winking smile icon was a clue. Okay, you kids go back to talking about Opium now ...
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Yeah, the Paxil swap was a joke. I thought the winking smile icon was a clue.
    Of course, which is why I, too, included a "winking smile icon" at the end of my own post.

On the other hand, this IS Rose you've been talking about has my attention, the directory lists one IS frag, and discontinued at that. Can you tell me something about it??
    I haven't checked the Basenotes Directory, but you can find Irma Shorell Rose at Long Lost Perfume:

http://www.longlostperfume.com/irshorrosper.html

The description at the website says it all, and so much better than I can. IS Rose is a gorgeous rose-themed floral bouquet, IMHO, and the rose fragrance that changed my thinking, blew me away, and opened my mind to the world of rose fragrances. Before Irma Shorell Rose, I thought I hated all rose-prominent (or dominant) fragrances.

What cabin fever? I started on a low dose of Paxil last summer to head off perimenopausal potholes and prevent nighttime serotonin-drop anxiety attacks, and I'm here to tell ya, I love gray days, sunny days, dry days, wet days, icy days, and Wisconsin nights that are dark for 16 hours straight. So, anybody want me to send you a sample vial of Paxil in a swap?
    ;D ;D

An experience when I first got into essential oils - it was recommended to inhale each one deeply and carefully and write one's impressions on file cards to keep for later reference. Essential oils have psychoactive properties to varying degrees, and unbeknownst to me, I was practically mainlining via the olfactory system massive doses of Paxil-equivalents. By the time I was halfway through the florals, I was in fantasy land. Very pleasant but incapacitating.

I'm more careful now, but the 'Blues Blends' in aromatherapy really do work - they're great. Most have significant amounts of citrus eo, which work well, but my favorites are the ones with a good floral component.

I love all these recommendations. Time to start stocking up for spring... I also meant to add I adore fragrances with orange blossom in the spring.

I am more curios about these essential oils now. Isn't it possible that inhaling mass amounts of anything will induce subtle to extreme psychoactive episodes due to lack of oxygen. I know you can get a pretty dang psychoactive feeling from inhaling the residual CO2 from a freshly emptied 2 liter of coke.
    Is their scientific evidence that essential oils do in fact cause differences in mental state through chemical reactions and not psychological?

Well, I'm no expert, as a matter of fact, I don't know one single thing about aromatherapy. But I won't let that stop me from saying I bet it works. The scents may or may not have intrinsic properties, but scents are emotional. They should activate memories and trigger reactions in the limbic (emotional) system.

Concerning stress management and meditation, Pet scans (real time metabolic brain scans) show the same areas light up for remembering a picture, as for actually being shown the picture. In other words, at subconsious levels, the brain does not distinguish between now, and a memory of then.

I think this was post-traumatic stress sydrome stuff, but it demonstrates an interesting concept.

Plus, Nosy, everthing that is psychological is neurochemical. Maybe abnormal, as in neurochemical imbalance, proven by the drug which corrects its; or normal, such as bread baking makes my mouth water. It seems reasonable that other reflexes would exist in the human brain.

Plus, Nosy, everthing that is psychological is neurochemical. *Maybe abnormal, as in neurochemical imbalance, proven by the drug which corrects its; or normal, such as bread baking makes my mouth water. * It seems reasonable that other reflexes would exist in the human brain.
    I know...I have a degree in Biochemistry ;D
    I was just wondering if there was validity to the aromatherapy stuff without having to inhale mass quantities of it. *I was trying to point out that you can smell certain things, illegal or legal, and they will without a doubt cause a change in conscienceness whether you have a "psychological" reaction to them or not.
    In other words, one essential oil may or may not produce the same outcome for another person. *This would be subjective and dependent upon the individual's experiences etc...
    Everything that we experience is neurochemical...completely agree.

Also bread baking might not make someone else's mouth water. But, hypothetically, the smell of bread baking could produce a certain reaction in the brain causing that person to become euphoric, or whatever, no matter what there experience has been with bread aroma.

Biochemistry! Groovy! No wonder you wonder!

As to anwering the question you are actually dicussing, I've come full circle back to dunno! :P I bet there are people around this board who do, though.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    I was trying to point out that you can smell certain things, illegal or legal, and they will without a doubt cause a change in conscienceness ...
    Tee-hee.
    If you feel guilty about using an illegal inhalant, it'll cause a change in "conscienceness." :-/
    If you alter your mind, you'll get a change in "consciousness."

;D Don't shoot the proofreader! :-*

Tee-hee.
    If you feel guilty about using an illegal inhalant, it'll cause a change in "conscienceness." :-/
    If you alter your mind, you'll get a change in "consciousness."

;D Don't shoot the proofreader! :-*
    Hey at least I spelled it right...and um I was in a rush
    [smiley=dankk2.gif]

I'm not the best person to expound on the causality of essential oils in relation to the biology of psychology, as I don't have expertise in that area. I think this all started with my use of the word 'psychoactive', which may have been the wrong term to use, scientifically speaking.
    I don't know what the strict definition of psychoactive is. I was probably using it in the broader sense. Maybe what I SHOULD have said was the olfactory input from the essential oils via the limbic system, was MOOD-ALTERING. I know the limbic system is involved in the emotions. I don't really know - I know the reaction I got, but not why or what physiological process it used. And probably, within certain parameters, individual responses would vary, like it does with most things (perfumes, drugs, etc).

I know EOs are made up of many different chemical components and have hormonal and biochemical effects upon the body and brain, but whether that adds up to a strict definition of psychoactive I'm not sure. Essential oils reach the bloodstream as a result of aromatic molecules being inhaled into the lungs through the tiny air sacs to the surrounding blood capillaries by the process of diffusion, as well as by absorption through the skin. Once in the bloodstream the aromatic molecules interact with the body's chemistry. Marijuana, inhaled into the lungs where it enters the blood stream is considered psychoactive. I don't really have a problem accepting EOs do interact with the body's chemistry. I guess I'm not certain though what to specifically call it.
    They definitely have effects on moods though. Like I said, Blues Blends really do lift your spirits, which is kind of neat. The evening I 'OD'd I think it was the cumulative effect of some heavy duty interaction between about 12 different test strips. Each EO made you feel a little different, and see different colors and textures in your mind. The rose centifolia made me feel as if the world were made of happy, sweet cotton candy, and I saw colors of baby pink and blue in my mind. The jasmine made you think of cashmere, pearls, lipstick and was smooth, the color of sable (NO fluffy cotton candy clouds or sweet baby colors!). I tried an artificial jasmine fragrance oil I bought later (because Jasmine concrete is so expensive) and it just wasn't the same - no cashmere, no sophistication, just sort of a rinky-dink beach-type jasmine. But I'm getting carried away here...

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    The rose centifolia made me feel as if the world were made of happy, sweet cotton candy, and I saw colors of baby pink and blue in my mind.
    That's why I was getting really curious. That sounds like fun! [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    I was just curious to know if this was a standard reaction that most people would get? I was thinking maybe there was some sameness to a certain point like maybe after smelling for awhile everyone would feel the world was made of happy sweet cotton candy but maybe not see the colors or vice versa.
    I was just goin' off on a tangent, don't mind me. Your word choice was fine.

Interesting (to me) is, I ask my 11yr son to smell my wrists occasionally, usually by jamming my arm against his little angel face and saying, "Ooo, smell this one". Reactions vary. But for Mimosa pour Moi, his face lit up and he said "That smells light blue". I'd never thought of expressing fragrances as abstract color until I read others do it on basenotes. I still thought they were kinda just being poetic, knowing the notes, etc. But I can say I'll never forget the beautific look on his face, and I'm sure I'll always like Mimosa just a little bit more because of it.