Code of Conduct

Default So what are we giving them for Valentine's?

Anticipating their soon to be appearing queries, LadyLonestar thoughtfully started a thread in advance to collect and consolidate fragrant ideas for the gentlemen for Valentine's Day gift suggestions for their women sweethearts.

But should we not start a thread for frargrant gift ideas "For Him?" -- A thread that could cover two aspects:

1)Our fragrant suggestions for gifts to give our male sweethearts. (In this we are ignoring "True Blue Friends" and those of us with Lady sweethearts though...)

2)Suggestions for how to utilize fragrance to enhance and set the stage with style for a true romantic evening where sensual detail has been attended to joyfully, not manipulatively of course.

Here is a start on #2 and I can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas.

* Should we try out a new love potion-perfume of our own to surprise and arouse with a new scent?

Check out the thread started by LadyLonestar aimed at the ggents:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1138217446

* Start simple: scent your atmosphere in a variety of ways from gently (very gently) scenting your bed linens to burning Diptyque's beautiful Rose and blackcurrant fragranced Baies Noir candle.

* Or perhaps be inspired to a whole scent theme by Agraria's classic Bitter Orange candle or diffuser. Bitter Orange smells like good orange marmalade and roses. So after making a beautiful arrangement of roses for the bedroom, spending a glorious night, next morning offer a light breakfast in bed (Gonna have to do this on the weekend before since Valentine's Day falls on a Tuesday) -- a continental breakfast of fresh, hot croissants baked in your own oven (order 1 week in advance from William Sonoma http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...&cmsrc=sch) -- can anything beat the fragrance of pastry baking? In deference to the theme, please serve with an excellent seville (bitter orange) marmalade (geat one from Tienda http://www.tienda.com/food/pop/fp-04.html) Then, I am sure you can think of additional Valentine's Day uses for the extra marmalade .

* Not a morning person? Float a few pink or red rose petals and a teensy drop of rose water in a Kir Royal made with Champagne of course and either Framboise de Bourgogne or the classic Cassis, (I have other rose petal recipes, especially a French one for poached peaches in a light rose petal syrup.) LIghtly scatter the extra rose petals on the pillows and the sheets of course (in which case you have scented your linens with the extra rose water too, perhaps?)

* Enhance a fireside mood & the fragrance of your inviting fire by adding small pieces of juniper, balsam, cedar or pinon (my favorite) incense cones from Incienso de Santa Fe to the fire. http://www.aromasunlimited.com/incienso.htm

* it seems like basenote's Ayala has a luxurious and fine desert moment in mind when she makes a few non-fragrance suggestions in LadyL's men's thread above that would be good for us to hear , too. She asks you to consider artisanal chocolates and thrillinglly chilled ice wine from Canada.

*Ayala then rather comprehensively lists her love potion picks for us ladies to wear -- lots of fabulous Rose. Thank you, Ayala.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1138217446

* For more in the Rose personal fragrance vein, go to Bois de Jasmin's January 26th entry http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com

To follow in Ladylonestar's vein inspired by Allure -- fragrances which explore the traditional scents of Valentine's Day (Cocolate, roses or flowers, candy) yet are not excessively gourmand, here are three of my choices for us women and then a few for men below that:

Ormonde Jayne Ta'if Top notes Pink Pepper, Saffron, Dates; middle Notes Rose Oil, Freesia, Orange Flower, Jasmine; base notes Broom, Amber.
    http://www.ormondejayne.com/shop_by_...women.php.>

Molinard 1849 Nirmala (EDP) Top notes of mango, passion fruit, grapefruit and mandarine.; middle notes of jasmine, rose, fleur-des-isles; base notes of tonka bean, sandalwood, rare orchid vanilla and cedarwood.
    http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_d=1764

Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises Praline Powdery notes, rose petal, jam notes, saffron , ambrette
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...0&section=[/b]>

* The fragraces that deliver flowers and chocolate for the guys:

Gendarme 7 Sinful Scents: Excess How apt. Top notes
    Spice pepper, Rum, Dark chocolate; middle notes Jasmine, Patchouli , Vanilla; base notes Sheer Musk, Sandalwood.

Hanae Mori H.M Top notes,Lemon, Lavender, Blackcurrant, Green notes; middle notes, Iris, Jasmine, Muguet, Bulgarian Rose; base notes
    Moss, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Cedarwood, Chocolate, Amber

Animale Parfums Animale Animale for Men Top notes, Bergamot; middle notes, Chocolate, Moss; base Notes
    Vanilla, Sandalwood

Sensual scents that seem popular with our ladies as per the various threads on this topic of *scents that drive us wild*:

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan Top notes Oregano, Bay leaf, Coriander; middle notes myrtle, Angelica Root; base notes Sandalwood, Siam Benzoin, Patchouli.

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur Top notes Lavender, Bergamot; middle notes Clove, Cinnamon; base notes Gaiac wood, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Tonka

Boucheron Jaïpur Homme Top notebergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Lime; middle note Carnation, Cinnamom, Rose, Jasmine; base note : Cedar, Patchouli, Tonka, Benzoin. There is also a Jaipur Homme Fresh.

Caron Le 3me Homme (Third Man) Top notes Lavender, Rosemary, Anise, Bergamot ; middle notes Geranium, Jasmin, Rose, Fern, Carnation; base notes Amber, Musk, Moss, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Tonka, Vanilla

Caron Pour Un Homme Top Notes Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon; middle notes Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood; base notes Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

[There is also a more modern re-interpretation called Impact Pour Un Homme by Caron which has recieved favorable reviews among basenote members but I cannot quickly find the fragrance notes.]

Creed Tabarome (Vintage or Millisimes?) The original was one of Winston Churchil's fave's. Notes for the current version are top notes Bergamot, Green Tea; middle notes Tobacco Leaves, Jasmin, Ginger; base notes musk, vetiver.

Yves Saint Laurent M7 Top notes Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosemary, middle notes Vetiver, Agarwood ; base notes Amber, Musk, Mandrake root.

Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme Top notes Star Aniseed, Blackcurrant; middel notes, Chinese Galanga, Szechwan Pepper; base notes Fresh Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu Balm, Atlas Cedar.

Guerlain Habit RougeTop notes Bergamot, Lemon, Rosewood, Basil, Pimento; middle notes Sandalwood, Carnation, Patchouli, Cedar, Rose, Cinnamon; base notes Vanilla, Amber, Moss, Leather, Benzoin, Labdanum, Olibanum

Guerlain Vetiver The classic. Top notes Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Coriander; middle notes Vetiver, Cedar; base notes Tobacco, Nutmeg, Pepper, Tonka bean, Capiscum

Hermesessence Vetiver Tonka The nose says this is meant to suggest wool (like a swetaer on a cool country morning walk) Notes of vetiver, neroli, bergamot, grilled hazelnut, dry fruit, nutty grains and tonka bean.

Chanel Anteus Top notes Clary Sage, Myrtle; middle notes Patchouli, Sandalwood; base notes Labdanum, Beeswax Absolute

Chanel Egoiste Top notes Sicilian Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood; middlde notes Coriander, Damask Rose; base notes Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed.

and many more but those are my edits of the ones that kept popping up (sorry, but I cannot bring myself to include Aramis which showed up a number of times but I have bad associations.)

Frangrant products for men other than EDT, EDP, etc.

The Art of Shaving has product in three understated and high quality scents -- lemon, lavendar and a particulalry appealing sandalwood, all layerable with other related fragrances -- as well as an unscented, hypo-allergenic version. Choose a single product like their wonderful after shave balm & moisturizer or perhaps select the starter kit which contains all "four steps to the perfect shave" -- shave oil to make stubble stand up, shave cream, a beautiful badger shaving brush to apply the cream and a moisturizer to calm and protect skin afterward. They also sell handsome razors.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/home.php
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos/starter-kit.php

L'Artisan Boule d'Ambre (Terracotta Amber Ball) These distinctive, dark-brown, andsome objects d'art are home fragrance at its most beautiful. They look like elegant Tahitian wooden artifacts, but are realy incised & pierced hollow terracotta balls filled with delicous-smelling, sweet amber crystals. Although they look like a gentleman's library sort of thing, I have given them to men and women over the years for various ocassions and they are always a hit. In fact, most all order more to start a collection. Maitre Parfumeur et Grantier also make a similar, no less handsome product, though they are of different shapes.

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=449
    http://www.barneys.com/index_flash.html

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=449

Pilgrim's Handiworks of the Himilayas has fragrant, carved sandalwod boxes in three sizes for dresser, desk or bedside.
    http://www.pilgrimshandicrafts.com/s...lwoodboxes.htm

I wish I could find a lead on sandalwood or sandalwood-lined boxes that were uncarved. I got an elegant, long sterling silver box deliciously lined in fragrant sandalwood that my finacee adores. If anyone knows of a source for this sort of thing, I would apreciate hearing of it.

So what are other folk's ideas for fragrance or frgrant body, bath or home product for him and -- more fun for me -- ideas on what fragrant steps we creative basenote women can take?

Default Re: So what are we giving them for Valentine's?

I've never given a Valentine's gift to a man. I think it's a terrible precedent to start!! ;D ;D ;D
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I've given VDay gifts to men. But it was nothing I feel comfortable posting about on a community board

I've never given a Valentine's gift to a man. I think it's a terrible precedent to start!! ;D
    Shycat, you can't be serious. Loving gestures are always right. *:-*

I've given VDay gifts to men. But it was nothing I feel comfortable posting about on a community board
    SocalWoman! *

I love, love, love giving something to my guy for Valentine's Day. And I also enjoy sending flowers to both sets of parents to honor their love and my Godmother, a widow who does not have a sweetheart anymore and at 89 may not again.

Please tell me that not all basenotes women are looking only to reeive and not to give for VDay?

It's true!! But I am a sweet and loving person! I'm not greedy or selfish, I swear. (Much...) I give loving gestures, for no reason at all, just not on Valentine's Day. I love flowers, but I just can't see giving them to a man for Valentine's day. Maybe my men have always been too hard driving, macho types...like me, I guess. I need therapy.

Touche', Socal.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Earth Bars: They are THEE MOST WONDERFUL bars of soap from www.asoapgarden.com.

Visually, the bar is almost black: http://www.asoapgarden.com/view.cfm?photo=274.jpg

Texture-wise: It is embedded with black tea leaves which provide that wonderful scratchy, scrubby feeling in the shower. Plus it's made with moisturing hemp oil.

Aroma-wise ... Merciful Zeus! Essential oils of lavender, cedarwood, patchouli, and sweet almond oil.

I can't imagine any man--from the fragrant-sophisticated to the I-don't-care sort--not enjoying this practical gift. Trust, me, ladies and gentlemen. The only drawback is the blah label--but you could put your own wrapping and message on in its place.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Wow! Thanks so much for all these neat suggestions, especially to Lizzie. That had to be a lot of legwork.

My only suggestion is what NOT to buy.
    I posted on the men's forum about this, but absolutely don't go near Stud by Phat Pimp Clothing Co. While it might seem like a fun, cheesy Valentine's gift, the juice is absolutely creepy!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

I had my boyfriend try it on last night, ahead of Valentine's Day, because I didn't want to spring it on him on that special day, and he said something about cheap ******* and such. Totally smarmy.

OkayOkay! No STUD. Wow flathorn, you're psychic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    OkayOkay! No STUD. Wow flathorn, you're psychic.
    I am saving you from yourself, trust me on this one. Don't do what I did ;D
    I just sniffed it in the bottle again, and it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. It's getting creepier and creepier.
    So.... are you still interested in that studly little bottle? Some people actually want samples of this oily leftover from a pimp's clothing, but I'm not sure I want to mess with decanting it. PM me if you're interested.

Hate to be all Bah Humbug(well the valantines equivilent!) but why is there always the assumption that there is a second half?

So funnily enough, not high on my agenda as I'm terminally single.

:

I'm actually planning on getting decants of the scents I have in heavy rotation on myself, for her to sniff on whenever she misses me. I hope I have time to do that, otherwise it will be some kind of extra birthday gift.

col2, is that by choice? Most girls should melt just for that waving kitty pic.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I'm actually planning on getting decants of the scents I have in heavy rotation on myself, for her to sniff on whenever she misses me.
    A very good idea! Should work the other way around, too: me decanting my scents for him to sniff! Love that! Thank you, Shifts!

But should we not start a thread for frargrant gift ideas "For Him?" -- *A thread that could cover two aspects: Our fragrant suggestions for gifts to give our male sweethearts. (In this we are ignoring "True Blue Friends" and those of us with Lady sweethearts though...)
    Hate to be all Bah Humbug(well the valantines equivilent!) but why is there always the assumption that there is a second half?
    Oh, Col2, that's why I apologize at the beginning! There was no assumption of a second half or that all of us "paired" ladies here on the female fragrance discussion board were necessarily paired with men. But to post a comment, instead of just clicking over to something more interesting, means the whole thread bothers you. *I am sorry.

But I did suggest another heading/category that might interest you:*True Blue Friend. *Perhaps I should elaborate or maybe I should start a thread about that: V Day gifts if one is single or one's True Blue Friends are single.

I started a tradition of exchanging V Day gifts among a band of close single friends a few years back. *Another girlfriend and two men-friends and I all happened to land single at the same time. Two of us divorced, one is usually single and the other had broken up. *I felt wretched that first post-divorce Valentine's Day, never felt so left out and marginalized in my life as happy couple-dom dominated the cultural thinking and every location I frequented. I almost felt unreal or less real because I was alone. Even standing in line at the deli counter of the local gourmet temple of food, I noticed nothing but couples and I swear couples even got waited on before me. At that point, perhaps I was becoming single-paranoid. *But maybe not. *Anyway, it felt terrible.

So I started a tradition for our band of True Blue Friends celebrating V Day together in our own way. We exchanged small tokens of affection, sometimes flowers, or a favorite chocoalte or a book or something small, 2) some of us exchanged cards ( I did) in which I told each what I found special, endearing and inspiring about them. I expressed my affection and admiration -- and gratitude that I had each of *them as friends. And I told them how it made me feel especailly alive to be around them. Finally, 3) we got together for a nice, fun dinner -- a practice that has not survived each and every year but was fun, nevertheless.

One year, I gave a V-Day party and invited a whole mess o' people, even couples. That was great. I discovered that not all people, even those in couples, love the holilday and were relieved to have an alternative. *But, hey, any excuse for a party. Now, typically I avoid New Year's Eve as amatuer night, so this has become (the years I do it) my substitute New Year's.

And I counted my blessings another year when the "ladies" at my children's school decided to schedule the annual school fundraiser dinner/auction on V Day so they would be sure and have something to do that night. So flat, stale and passionless had their marriages become that they would go to such lengths to avoid disappointment or having to be alone with their hubbies. Hmmm... in divorcing I had obviously made a lucky escape in the nick of time!

Take care, *Col2. *:-*

With love and passion for life to all, whether coupled or no,

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I've never given a Valentine's gift to a man. I think it's a terrible precedent to start!! ;D ;D ;D
    heh heh, yeah i wouldn't expect a vday gift from a girl. call me old fashioned. although if she wanted to "do something special" for me, i sure wouldn't complain. but no flowers or chocolates please.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have never gotten anything for V's -ever- , so i plan to get a box of bombons for myself :P