Code of Conduct

Default sssssolifloressssssssss

Am i a rube? i just can't help it! i want to smell flowers. Several recent samples smell like something a

goat burped up. Discuss this issue with me, for me. Express yourselves and mention your favorites in

this category. And mention any that fell flat and were a big dissappointment!

Rube + educ.+experi.=

Refined intellexual. I never raised goats, BTY. I did have chickens--Auracona, they lay such beautiful

blue and aqua eggs. They were just running around the abandoned barn and I didn't really do anything

with them except throw out ground corn once a day. The eggs were in incredible demand--organic, free

range, and just plain pretty. People are the funniest animals.

Perhaps I need also test demeter dirt and earthworm......

Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: sssssolifloressssssssss

LOL!!!
    Oh dear.... sorry, can't help much as I'm not really into pure florals, but that post was hilarious!

May I ask exactly what smells like goat belch?

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    People are the funniest animals.
    Amen, sister. How about Goth Rosary's Gothic Rose? "Blood red roses... *The smell of unfurled deep crimson petals..." *I got the image of a deep red, dewy rose from their samples. And they have all-over shampoo, hair conditoner and lotion to match their fragrances. That'll give the roosters in your barnyard something to crow about.**
    http://www.gothrosary.com/fragrances.cfm

Perhaps I need also test demeter dirt and earthworm......
    Sprayed Demeter Dirt on an obnoxious teenager while in Sephora yesterday. Gone in 60 seconds. (The fragrance - not the teenager. Should have tagged him with good old No. 5.) Not familiar with Earthworm.

Thought about getting a pygmy goat as a pet but evidently goats - pygmy or otherwise - can't be litterbox trained. I imagined myself with my beribboned tambourine and gypsy outfit (see Maureen O'Hara in The Hunchback of Notre Dame) dancing down the sidewalk with little Esmerelda to the grocery store... *And explaining to the nice police officer why my 'dog' wasn't on a leash.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Super subject!

Lately friend M* has turned me on to PEONY. After sampling Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica (lovely), Florescent Pivoine, and a couple others, I thought nothing was going to have staying power. However, M's decants of Lauder's Pleasures and Lancome's Miracle were pretty effective at giving peony some mileage (or sillage). Still have to try Miso Pretty.

I'd like to read other's thoughts about linden (tilleul), tiare, and other florals. I know roses and lilacs have been somewhat addressed, but they could bear repeating under this thread.

*Friend M knows from goat guk, yak yuk, sheep slobber, llama lick--she raises rare farm breeds. And now that I've ignited the frag hag within her, them critters can smell her coming across the barnyard!

MORE-THOUGHTS UPDATE:
    Must include Jo Malone's ORANGE BLOSSOM amongst best single-note florals. Plus, it layers with anything and everything.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

So far the best soliflore scents have been Goutal's Le Jasmin. This scent is the epitome of femininity, and yes I have said that numerous times already. I love Jasmine now

L'Artisan's Mimosas pour moi. Have never smelled real mimosas but if they smell like this frag then I love them and even more so on a lady.

Goutal's Des Lys. This is one really nice lilly frag. Not much exp. with lilly scents.

For lilac, the only soliflore even worth mentioning is Highland Lilac Perfume. This stuff is potent and absolutely fantastic, right up there with En Passant, but a soliflore.

For rose...well there are thousands and most of them smell pretty similar. My favs are Goutal's Ce Soir au Jamais (althoug probably not really soliflore) and Creed's The Rose Bulgare

Haven't came across any tuberose scents that I like yet, still looking

eeaauuu yeah, Mimosa pour Moi is one of my relatively few full bottles. It 's spring in a bottle for me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

LET'S HEAR FROM MORE OF YOU.
    What's your favorite by-itself blossom?
    Whose products do you favor?

FREESIA
    GARDENIA
    HELIOTROPE
    HYACINTH
    IRIS
    JASMINE
    LAVENDER
    LILAC
    LILY
    LINDEN
    MAGNOLIA
    MIMOSA
    ORANGE BLOSSOM
    PEONY
    ROSE
    TIARE
    VIOLETTE
    WISTERIA
    :-?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I can't do many florals, especially those old bugaboos BWF's :'( But the ones I like:

I absolutely adore Lavender, so my favorite Lavender fragrance is the one that seems most realistic to me - Crabtree and Evelyn's Lavender Water.

Most people love rose, but I like Rose centifolia and alba better than Rose damascena (damascena can react on me with an herbagy note). The ones I like best - Fleur De The Rose Bulgare by Creed, Eau Rosee by Mariella Burani, and Rose D'Ete by Rosine.

I love the quiet, intimate little note violet gives, but I don't like it as a soliflore - I always like it best in a blend, where it adds depth and mystery.

I haven't figured out the iris/orris fragrance. All the iris fragrances I've tried smell like orris root to me. But my favorite is Bois D'Iris by Different Co.

Well, I love linden blossom and orange blossom essential oils - they're so light, ethereal and wonderful. But it's hard to make them major players with their disappearing acts. If there were some long-lasting perfumes based around these two, I'd love to hear about them, as I'm sure I'd be a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn
    Well, I love linden blossom...If there were some long-lasting perfumes based around these two, I'd love to hear about them, as I'm sure I'd be a fan.
    How about L'Artisan's...Tilleuls au Vent. *Even though it is a room spray, I heard raves about this frag and heard some people use it as a perfume as well/
    I know there are some orange blossom frags I just can't remember them right now.
    Maybe Serge Lutens' and L'Artisan's versions of Fleur d'Oranger. Haven't smelled any of these yet though >

• Iris: Hermes Hiris but still not satisfied...
    • Narcissus: ???
    • Peony: Pivoine magnifica but still not satisfied... also Le Basier du dragon contains a strong peony note to my nose...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks to Noseorgy's recommendation to sample, Highland Lilac of Rochester gets my vote for best lilac solifore.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Thanks to Noseorgy's recommendation to sample, Highland Lilac of Rochester gets my vote for best lilac solifore.
    Your Welome ;D Good stuff, huh?

haha ,about your post..... :P

On to soliflores:

Lily : SL Un Lys , AG Des Lys
    Gardenia : Y.Rocher pur desir de gardenia , Kai perfume oil (those are the only 2 true gardenia scents I have smelled - others are too sweet or too tuberose )
    Tiare : Chantecaille Tiare
    Lilac : Y.Rocher pur desir de lilas . I didn't like FM En Passant
    Lily of the valley : Diorissimo , Lilia Bella Guerlain
    Tuberose: Thebest is FM carnal Flower. Also Fracas Piguet , maybe even Blonde Versace (just one light spritz)
    Jasmine : SL A la nuit (the best!) , Creed Jasmal .
    Carnation : I hesitate to name Bellodgia because it would be unjust to its complex essences *, but it does smell of carnation mostly. Also L'artisan Oeillet sauvage , Terracotta Voile d'ete Guerlain.
    Rose : The most pure rose is Creed FDTRB. Also good roses that are dominantly rose (but I am not into roses that much) : Paris , SL Sa majeste la rose/Rose de nuit . I personally like FM Une rose (but it has other notes highlighted too) ,Montale Crystal Flowers and Rose d'homme Rosine.
    Iris : Hiris, TDC Bois d'iris . SL Iris silver mist was too much carrots for me.
    Orange blossom : SL Fleurs d'oranger (this is complex! and rich!) , 24 Faubourg (dominantly orange blossom), Jo Malone orange blossom
    Neroli(blossom of bitter orange tree) : Flora Nerolia Guerlain
    Violet : Meteorites Guerlain , Borsari Violetta di Parma. (SL Bois de Violette is very woody to be included as soliflore)
    Mimosa: L'artisan Mimosa pour moi
    Heliotrope : Etro Heliotrope (although I don't like this , it's full of it)
    Linden(tilleul ): L'artisan La chasse edt (clear linden ,but it has also other florals in there , so not a "soliflore" - I include it just because it's so pretty), L'artisan Tilleuls au vent

1,000 Thank you's, Helg! :-* :-* :-* Very helpful, especially the note that FM En Passant didn't thrill you.

It's rather a hard sample to find as I can't work up the nerve to Email FM and just ask them to mail a free

sample to the USA.

*It's rather a hard sample to find as I can't work up the nerve to Email FM and just ask them to mail a free sample to the USA.
    Actually you can ;D But if you live near a distributor they will tell you to go there. I tried to get some free samples by completing their questionnaire and they told me Barney's NY would answer all of my questions and curiosities. Sheesh! and I filled out that dumb questionnaire for a free sample of En Passant and Noir Epices.

I am not a huge soliflore person, although I deeply admire their loveliness from afar.
    I usually find soliflore not interesting enough and can't identify with them fully.

There are only two soliflore that I ever owned - Diorissimo (which I don't wear anymore) and Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger, which is not a very simple soliflore...I also love Viola, which is my own violet flower soliflore and not all that simple.

Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    Orange blossom : SL Fleurs d'oranger (this is complex! and rich!) , 24 Faubourg (dominantly orange blossom), Jo Malone orange blossom
    Neroli(blossom of bitter orange tree) : Flora Nerolia Guerlain
    Helg,

Both Orange Blossom and Neroli come from the very same flowers of the same species - citrus aurantium - which is the bitter orange tree. From the peel of the non edible fruit Bitter Orange Oil is extracted, from the leaves and twigs - Petitgrain Bigarade (commonly used in colognes and citrus scents).

The difference between the two is the method of extraction, not the plant they are coming from, which results in quite a different scent. When referred to as Neroli - this is an essential oil by steam distillation from the flowers (like rose otto). When referred to as Orange Blossom it usually means it's the absolute. The absolute is sweeter and more narcotic and floral, and shares some properties with jasmine absolute. The essential oil (aka Neroli - named after an Italian princess of Neroli that loved this oil and used it to scent everything that belonged to her), is lighter, more citrusy green and fresh and tart. Orange blossom can be so deep that it is a base note. Neroli is a heart to top note.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I'd appreciate comments on my little violet trilogy. I have L'Artisan's Verte Violet which I think is just delicious, so sweet and Green with a capital G! Also, Christiane Celle Calypso Violette which is more sweet and a bit warmer, reminds me of Kool-Aid, but nicely ; and lastly Penhaligon's Violetta which is green and delightfully bitter by comparison.

What do you think of these as violet scents and what should I eventually try when I'm ready to move on?

I am afraid I have't been able to try any of the violet frags yet but Annick Goutal's La Violette should be mentioned as well.

"The Violet : the "love at first sight" flower

Memories. Of small bouquets that we used to find on street corners. Of flowers in the middle of special meal tables, amidst the best white linen. Just like "La Violette" house, in Aveyron, of which Annick was so fond.

Pictures. Of a fanciful flower that used to decorate the low-cut dresses of the 1920's. And which served as a charming invitation for gentlemen to venture forth.

Delicacy. Tiny sugared flowers we savour before the cake is cut.

Metamorphosis. Flower, stem and leaf are used to make this sublimely green floral fragrance. With its delicate touch of rose, the violet is powerfully seductive. For just one night, life becomes one big opera - and you are the star!"

It must be fun writing this stuff for perfumes. I think it would be a fun job. ;D

I got some samples coming of L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger and Verte Violet and some other ones. I will post the reviews here. ;D

I received my parial bottle of Penhaligon's Bluebell a couple of days ago and it had leaked more in the mail, making it even more partial. It is a fresh, true, just blossomed hyacinth. The kind you go to your knees in the spring to smell because it seems a crime to cut.

I saved the package and put it in the bottom of my closet. It's been delightful.

I just received my full bottle of Mimosa Pour Moi :-* :-* :-*
    What a heavenly heavenly scent. It smells so wonderful. I don't know much about mimosas or the french riviera but wow, what a frag. I can also smell some green(maybe honeydew?) melon notes in there as well which probably helps give character and depth to the mimosa. Unfortunately its gonna have to sit in my bathroom cabinet till it aquires a female owner..sniff..sniff :-/

So far the best soliflore scents have been Goutal's Le Jasmin.
    For lilac, the only soliflore even worth mentioning is Highland Lilac Perfume.

Agreed & Agreed, NoseOrgy.

As for Jasmin. I am like-wise hooked on

Annick Goutal's le jasmin. It is on the opposite end of the spectrum from SL's a la Nuit. They are Jeckle and Hyde. I like both for different times. AG's le jasmin is a green, fresh jasmine with a little impertinent kick of ginger. Slightly dry (for a jasmine) and light enough for day. Lovely, tender, a bit mysterious somehow, definitely worn by girls/women who are a little hard-to-get and who have a bit of sass. One could say "Goat burp" while in le Jasmin, but not while in SL's a la Nuit.

SL's a la Nuit is for femme fatales; it is one heady, intense, voluptuous, night jasmine, dripping with sexuality. Nothing shy here and definitely for evenings. Even if you were not wearing something decolletee, you would seem to be if you were wearing this.

Highland Lilac is pretty nice. Indeed. Thank you, Nose Orgy. I got it on your recommendation last week.

En Passant is really not a soliflores, is it? *It was supposed to capture an "after the rain" Italian *steet moment smelled while nose Olivia Giacometti was walking by a bakery (En Passant: *In *Passing). *While it contains Lilac, it is but a whisper, more like a breeze that happens to have blown through just rained (rain accord is mentioined in their notes) on white lilacs (not nearly as strong as the purple) while on its way to your nose, said breeze also having picked up that wheaty fragrance from the bakery as well as some cucumber from the greengrocer's stall and a happy note of Orange tree leaves. So if one is expecting a Lilac fragrance qua Lilac Fragrance, one is bound to be disappointed. However if one wants Rain and can't get vintage L'Apres l"Ondee, then this is quite a delicate and enchanting fragrance.

AG Le Jasmine is on my gotta have it list, as is Highland lilac, when my sample runs out. I just get so distracted, here and there, with other frags that pop up! I must develop...lets see...what's the word?? Ahh...starts with a "d"....disciiiiiiiiii something or other.

Happy Nosy! Congrats on the Mimosa pour Moi ! But, in your case, it's Mimosa pour unidentified GF. What the heck are you gonna say to this woman when she arrives?? And are you going to screen applicants to rule out flower-haters? How many dates before you reveal your women's collection? What if she wants to take Mimosa home with her????? I suggest, respectfully, you hold out and present the fragrances as a honeymoon gift.

I got my TDC Jasmine de Nuit yesterday. I generally like anise accents and generally wrinkle my nose at clove, so today I have the happy work of doing a wristoff with SL a la Nuit, of which I have a decant.

How could any girl not like those scents? It's impossible. Besides, I still get to smell them too. ;D

Wristoff report- I'm already liking Jasmine de Nuit better than a la Nuit. Not to mention the way cool bottle, which weighs about a pound.
    (sings) Heaven, I'm in Heaven, and my heart beats so..!*sigh*

I didn't mean to shake you Nosy, old pal. True enough, the lovely florals you lean to will be loved by any girl you choose. You still do need to get Fumerie Turque, though, just for her smoldering, dominatrix side.

Oh, Shycat, you are no rube nor should anyone fall for that "must be complex not to be boring or unsophisticated" rap. As any French chef worth his salt will tell you, the supreme accomplishment of the kitchen is a perfect omlette.

The same is true for a soliflore.

Lys (Lily)

Editions de Parfums by Frederic Malle's Lys Mediterranee
    Recall the orange lilies on sunny hillsides and by cool, green-shaded roadsides in the height of summer, bowing gracefully in the ocassional breeze? I feel certain this wildly evocative fragrance could cure Seasonal Affect Disorder single handedly. Combines varieties of lilies (including ginger and water) to give fullest expression to a warm, magnificent lily fragrance. A touch of white musk gently adn discretely enhances the sun-coaxed feel of the flower scent. (I think I hear bees buzzing.) Agelica root at the heart adds a fresh, peppery, woody, herbaceous scent that perfectly calls to mind the fields, gardens and hillsides stepping down to the Mediterranean Sea on the Cote d'Azure. A fresh marine, though not ozonic, aura completes this perfect portrait of a lazy summer day cooled by refreshing sea breezes.

Magnolia

Profumi di Firenze Magnolia Dolce. Creamy, well-rounded, white floral, not as sweet as SMN (which I find cloying), a hint of woods and perhaps iris in the dry down. *I agree with their own use of the word Soigne to describe this scent.

Muguet (Lily of the Valley)

This much abused, much maligned scent has some truly graceful, fresh examples which make me and many men melt. Muguet is the prime note in Diorissimo (composed by renowned master nose Edmond Roudnitska) and is used to good advantage in Ralph Lauren's Blue and Shiseido's Energizing Fragrance. Avoid its more insipid, soapy, cheap or vulgar cousins augmented by one-dimensional synthetics, i.e., Anais Anais, Jessica McClintock. Ick. No wonder many are tempted to think this magical fairy flower banal.

Guerlain's le Muguet -- an exquisite, sparkling, tender, yet full floral pushing both the green and fruity expressions, almost like a Sancerre wine sipped in a spring garden. Perhaps there is a touch of rose in here? A magnificent wild lily-of-the-valley. Not soapy at all.

Vintage Coty Muguet des Bois. *Edmond Roudnitska said of Muguet des Bois:

...Coty had a lily that was called Muguet des Bois. No better lily note was ever made. It pushed the green note of the flower. As a lily note, it was magnificent. It was much better than the one I had made myself. I wondered how they had managed to create such a masterpiece in the Thirties, with so little means. *(quoted in Michael Edwards Perfume Legends, p. 113)

Thank you ever so, Lizzie. Boiled eggs are even trickier, IMHO. Did you know truly fresh boiled eggs are impossible to peel? They are best two weeks old, if you plan deviled eggs.

Now, back to the wristoff, SL pulls ahead in the dry down, maintaining a bright floral note while TDC gets fuzzy with powder.

I didn't mean to shake you Nosy, old pal.
    Wasn't shaken, just stirred ;D

You still do need to get Fumerie Turque, though, just for her smoldering, dominatrix side.
    I have a sample of that. I had a cold when I was smelling all of my new samples, but I will try that one again.

As far as lilly frags go, I am afraid I haven't quite liked them all too much. They seem to all be somewheat headache inducing after a few minutes. I've sampled quite a few different ones. They are lovely indeed but they just don't raise my pulse rate, ya know. My old roommmte used to wear Estee Lauder Pleasures (continuously) and I think that's what killed it for me. Same with Laila if you have tried that.