Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Ideas For A Bohemian Type Girl

Searching for a fragrance for my niece, a college student. She's the Denise Huxtable/Lisa Bonet type of girl, dresses in floaty dresses one day & will don a fedora the next. She wears scents on the order of light/musk.
    Any ideas? I'd like to get her something different, something all the other girls aren't wearing.

Default Re: Fragrance Ideas For A Bohemian Type Girl

Karma by Lush?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Shiseido Relaxing and Energizing to suit her mood swings?

(Suggestion from an actual genetic Bohemian with the big peasant thighs to prove it.)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Just a guess, but in a recent search for valentine's choices I came across this fragrance that looks like it fits. *The namesake artist certainly does.

Niki de Saint Phalle Named for the French painter and sculptor, 1930-2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niki_de_Saint_Phalle

Reviews indicate that it is quite unique and favored by many.

http://www.perfumeemporium.com/Bulle...=W&ID=8632

And the bottle is beautiful and unique.

http://www.perfume-bay.com/niki062029.html

My sophisticated and artistic rebel daughters who also wish to *avoid smelling lilke everyone else are fond of many of L'Artisan's fragrances and also Serge Lutens. They also like Marc Jacob's scent for women. Also parfum de Rosine and Diptyques. You can get samples from Saks, Nordstrom or our favorite shop, Aedes de Venustus *www.aedes.com (for all but the Marc Jacobs.)

L'Artisan has many scents. Among their favorites are:

Mure et Musc *wild blackberry and musk

La Chasse aux Papillons * delicate melody of fresh cut flowers. Tuberose and Linden Blossom with hints of Jasmine and Orange Blossom, rounded with a little white musk

Th pour un Ete *Jasmine Tea and Green Tea, white flowers, blended with a hint of Citrus

From Serge Lutens they like:

Un Lys white lily petals disclose a delicious, almost aqueous freshness, sustained by a subtle green note of barely opened leaves. The sensual vanilla-musk infusion gives Un Lys a subtle, velvety quality

Fleurs d'Oranger Orange blossoms mingle with the essence of tuberose from india, white rose and white jasmin.

Also they like Parfum de Rosine's scents:

Pouserrie de Rose is especially lovely: a deep and engaging rose fragrance creating the impression of warmth and comfort with basenotes of sandalwood, cedar, opoponax, amber and musk, heart notes of rose frankincense, tea and cinnamon and head notes of prunes, apricots and ylang ylang.

And from Diptyques:

L'Ombres dans l'Eau * *Blackcurrant leaves and bulgarian roses. The fresh scent of a riverside garden. Light, lingering, haunting.

Dam Tao * bewitching and sensous scent dedicated to sandalwood, the most coveted of all sacred woods. The oriental Goa sandalwood chosen in this Eau de Toilette is pure, creamy and smooth.

Ladylonestar

What I immediately *see* when you say Denise Huxtable/Lisa Bonet:

L'Artisan - Vanilia or La Chasse aux Papillons

Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vanille (black liquorice, sandalwood and a hint of coconut milk), Datura Noir or Clair de Musc

Etro - Heliotrope

Carthusia - Ligea "La Sirena"

Loree Rodkin - Gothic I (however, enormously expensive)

Also, Fracas and Versace Crystal Noir.

Blog Entries

The Body Shop perfume oils:

Mostly Musk = soft warm 'clean' Egyptian musk, great alone and layered with other scents

Japanese Musk = soft chypre floral very 'clean' and comforting yet unusual and fresh!

Cinnamon Spice = light yet warm citrus floral with a subtle cinnamon note

Patchouli = Pure unadulterated hippy chic patchouli but also very 'clean'

Ananya = warm spicy floral but never heavy. feminine

Passionflower = fruity (berry) floral, fresh and long lasting

Pink Pepper = red berry top notes warm florals with a touch of soft 'pink' pepper.

Very affordable, so you could buy a few ;D

I would also recommend Halston Original it is similar to Niki de Saint Phalle but sharper and fresher with a more distinct 'fresh mint leave' top note. A wonderful chypre.

LUSH Karma is certainly distinct and original, though I recommend it used in small doses. Has amazing sillage.

I would also recommend Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria perfumes : Gentiana, Lilla Bella, Herba Fresca. Shalimar Light is also a wonderful light refreshing yet ultimately soft and sexy perfume.

Hope these suggestions help. *
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Fifi Chachnil - fresh, sexy, kind of innovative, kind of young.

Ah, she sounds like my kind of girl - or the one that I once was. All excellent recommendations. I would just add Narciso Rodriguez and the patchouli-heavy Aromatics Elixir.

"Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie

L'Ombres dans l'Eau * *Blackcurrant leaves and bulgarian roses. The fresh scent of a riverside garden. Light, lingering, haunting.
    This was the first one that came to my mind. Beauty of simplicity. I dont know if Id say its light, though? The greeness in it can be pretty sharp to my nose.

This was the first one that came to my mind. Beauty of simplicity. I dont know if Id say its light, though? The greeness in it can be pretty sharp to my nose.
    On both me and my 17 year-old, L'Ombre dans l'Eau *is light (but not invisible) and refreshing & piquant (but not sharp) and very spiritedly feminine.

Our differing experiences of L'Ombres though, makes me think a bit.....I have a suggestion, once made by another member here that struck me as a great idea. *

Since scent selction is so highly-personal, rather than purchasing a bottle of one scent, gather several samples of some of the scents posted here and put them all together along with a home-made gift certificate in a pretty bag with tissue or in some other presentation that pleases you and let your neice have fun trying scents until she selects the one for her.

Thanks to all for your wonderful suggestions. I've taken notes to check out all the fragrances mentioned that I am not familiar with & will no doubt use them for future purchases & gift ideas.

I have decided to go with Karma by Lush for my niece, and the pleasant surprise is that I have discovered that I love it for myself as well.

Lizzie: I think my nose is a little extra sensitive to green notes; they often seem to dominate for me, hence the sharpness. Must point out that I think it is a gorgeous scent though. And so little is needed for it to linger.

Rita Mae: hope your niece enjoys her Karma!

Well maybe she likes incense, if so, maybe she might want to check out the Comme des Garcons Series 3 : Incense..there are 5 frags i think....