Code of Conduct

Default Niche fragrances recommendations?

I can't buy or test in my country, any of niche fragrances mentioned on this board. I'll travel to Paris very soon and as I'm on "bussines trip", will have not so much time to look for a shop with niche fragrances by myself- so, can anybody recommand me where to go? And what to test - please, see my wardrobe. * Thanks.

Default Re: Niche fragrances recommendations?

i would definitely check out l'artisan. they have several shops in paris. see their site for details.

also see:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1098435715
    http://www.basenotes.net/shopping/cityguides/paris.html

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'd check out Annick Goutal as well. Very unique compared to other houses as they use alot of "pear" notes and I have not come across those anywhere else really I don't think they have a shop in Paris, but I would imagine they have perfume somewhere around there. Also check out Shiseido/Serge Lutens which is only in Paris.

If you want some more niche lines but don't have a lot of time, the parfumerie of the Galerie Lafayette would be a good stop. They carry L'Artisan and Serge Lutens (export, of course) as well as some others like the Different Company. I'm not recalling all I saw, but it might be a convenient stop. Also keep an eye out on pharmacies as you pass; many carry what are "niche" fragrances elsewhere, particularly Creeds.

I personally loved IUNX on rue de l'Universite, near the Musee d'Orsay. That place is just a joy to visit. You can buy half-ounce bottles of the scents, which are really interesting but also wearable since they're so light (great for summer). It's really tops for the experience, and they also carry shower gels, shampoos, lotions and home fragrance.

Have fun!

Thank you people!
    Definitelly I'll go to Galerie Lafayette. I don't know if I can find something in Sephora on Champs Elysses?
    I hope that I will have enough time - my scedule is very heavy!

Sephora on the Champs-Elysees has a very good selection of fragrances but not much niche. They carry The Different Company but I can't think of many other major lines. I would say Lafayette is a better bet, but Sephora on the Champs is right next to the flagship Guerlain store, which is great to visit.

Not so much niche, but a must when going to Paris is visit Caron and Guerlain's boutiques.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Not so much niche, but a must when going to Paris is visit Caron and Guerlain's boutiques.
    I know where is Guerlain, but don't know where is Caron? I'll try to find address on the internet.
    Since I don't have so much free time (one morning and one afternoon , will try to see as much as I can!

If you're going to Sephora and Guerlain, one of Caron's boutiques is quite close at 90 rue Faubourg St. Honore. It is so worth the visit. I'm in love with that house.

If you happen to go to sephora, please smell philosophy's holiday treats collection!! please! so you can tell me if they really smell like apple cider, or gingerbread...I know, not exactly perfume, but there's no harm in asking, right? :'( ;D ;D ;D

I'd go to L'artisan by the way, a must stop. hehehehehe....

pd: every time I read the word "niche" I chuckle 'cause in spanish, more specifically venezuelan spanish, niche means "something ordinary, low class, brass, not good at all... <----- said with a bitter tone of voice because I don't have the money to buy any niche fragrance....
    8-)
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation and 2% butterscotch ripple.
    The perfume group at vox: http://thescented.groups.vox.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Jime
    If you happen to go to sephora, please smell philosophy's holiday treats collection!! please! so you can tell me if they really smell like apple cider, or gingerbread...I know, not exactly perfume, but there's no harm in asking, right? *:'( *;D ;D ;D

I'd go to L'artisan by the way, a must stop. hehehehehe....

pd: every time I read the word "niche" I chuckle 'cause in spanish, more specifically venezuelan spanish, niche means "something ordinary, low class, brass, not good at all... <----- said with a bitter tone of voice because I don't have the money to buy any niche fragrance....
    8-)
    Certainly, I'll visit Sephora! Keep you informed!

Thank you everybody, again! Actually I'll be in Paris on 25th of January, back beginning of February you would be able to read where I've been.

Parfums de Nicolai : 80 rue de Grenelle (7th – Rue du Bac) Patricia de Nicolai is a grand daughter of Pierre Guerlain. A cult favorite for celebrities and fashionistas. (Her products are also available in New York at the Greenwich Village boutique Aedes de Venustas, America's best perfume shop bar none, gets new and exciting introductions before Barney's or Takashimaya.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier : 84 bis rue de Grenelle (7th – rue de Bac), Two doors down and a grand, luxe gem
    L'Artisan Parfumeur : 24 boulevard Raspail (7th – rue du Bac) AND Flagship Boutique : 2 rue de l'Amiral de Coligny. Jean Laporte, nose of Maitre Parfumeur above, opened this boutique, one of my all time personal favorites. Can't go wrong here.
    Editions de Parfums Fréderic Malle : 37 rue de Grenelle (7th – Sevres Babylone) Very modern, very hot, Not to be missed if it's niche you are looking for. Diptyque : 34 boulevard St Germain (5th – Metro Maubert Mutalitie). On the left bank. Extraordinary and their scented candles are simply the best. Baies Noir, a sensuous yet soothing blend of Black currant leaves and wine-lush roses is amazing -- loved by men and women, the twenty-somethings and the rest of us, too.
    Annick Goutal Boutique Address:. 14 rue de Castiglione, 1er, Paris, France. Phone:. 01-42-60-52-82. A range of tender, subtle fragrances, intense scents and sophisticated single-florals. They are introducing a new frangrance, Songes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Parfums de Nicolai : 80 rue de Grenelle (7th – Rue du Bac) *Patricia de Nicolai is a grand daughter of Pierre Guerlain. A cult favorite for celebrities and fashionistas. (Her products are also available in New York at the Greenwich Village boutique Aedes de Venustas, America's best perfume shop bar none, gets new and exciting introductions before Barney's or Takashimaya.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier : 84 bis rue de Grenelle (7th – rue de Bac), Two doors down and a grand, luxe gem
    L'Artisan Parfumeur : 24 boulevard Raspail (7th – rue du Bac) AND Flagship Boutique : 2 rue de l'Amiral de Coligny. *Jean Laporte, nose of Maitre Parfumeur above, opened this boutique, one of my all time personal favorites. Can't go wrong here.
    Editions de Parfums Fréderic Malle : 37 rue de Grenelle (7th – Sevres Babylone) Very modern, very hot, Not to be missed if it's niche you are looking for. * Diptyque : 34 boulevard St Germain (5th – Metro Maubert Mutalitie). On the left bank. *Extraordinary and their scented candles are simply the best. Baies Noir, a sensuous yet soothing blend of Black currant leaves and wine-lush roses is amazing -- loved by men and women, the twenty-somethings and the rest of us, too.
    Annick Goutal Boutique Address:. 14 rue de Castiglione, 1er, Paris, France. Phone:. 01-42-60-52-82. *A range of tender, subtle fragrances, intense scents and sophisticated single-florals. They are introducing a new frangrance, Songes.

Lizzie,

I'm impressed! I'm not sure that I will have so much time to visit all these shops, but anyway, thanks for usefull information, for next visit to Paris.

How frustrating it must be not to have all your time to shop around! However, you MUST have the time to do the Champs Elysees - and not only the Sephora there carries Serge Lutens and others, but just next to it there is the Guerlain house AND an Annick Goutal shop! (left as you face Sephora, next to the entrance in the FNAC shop). Also on the Champs, there is a Marionnaud shop (Sephora's main competitor) that also carries Serge Lutens. I also recommend Frederic Malle, a personal favourite... but then again, so many frags, so little time... Try the Shiseido Palais Royal, if you enjoy the Lutens. 8-)

Editions de Parfums Fréderic Malle.... you can actually get some samples in the mail, if you fill in a questionare about yourself on their site. They'll offer you two perfumes. I highly reccomend it, it can be somethign to look foward to for when you come back from paris.

do the Champs Elysees - and not only the Sephora there carries Serge Lutens and others, but just next to it there is the Guerlain house AND an Annick Goutal shop! (left as you face Sephora, next to the entrance in the FNAC shop). Also on the Champs, there is a Marionnaud shop (Sephora's main competitor) that also carries Serge Lutens.

Blueberry has got the solution for sure! practically one-stop shopping. Save the left bank for later. Do try to make time for Guerlain -- a boutique, a museum and a temple, all in one. And they have hard to come by scents which I swear smell different and far better than the same ones here. Their Muguet, from 1906 I think, is a lovely soliflore Lilly of the Valley that is exquisite for spring.

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry
    How frustrating it must be not to have all your time to shop around! However, you MUST have the time to do the Champs Elysees - and not only the Sephora there carries Serge Lutens and others, but just next to it there is the Guerlain house AND an Annick Goutal shop! (left as you face Sephora, next to the entrance in the FNAC shop). Also on the Champs, there is a Marionnaud shop (Sephora's main competitor) that also carries Serge Lutens. I also recommend Frederic Malle, a personal favourite... but then again, so many frags, so little time... Try the Shiseido Palais Royal, if you enjoy the Lutens. 8-)
    Yes! Frustrating ! But, what can I do - enjoy as much as I can! Thank you for recomendations, it's good to know that some points which is worth to visit is close to each other. Since I do not know almost anything about all these brands you are mentioning (except Guerlain), I'm sad 'cause I will have not enough time to discover this new world. But, hope that I will visit Paris again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    do the Champs Elysees - and not only the Sephora there carries Serge Lutens and others, but just next to it there is the Guerlain house AND an Annick Goutal shop! (left as you face Sephora, next to the entrance in the FNAC shop). Also on the Champs, there is a Marionnaud shop (Sephora's main competitor) that also carries Serge Lutens.

Blueberry has got the solution for sure! practically one-stop shopping. Save the left bank for later. Do try to make time for Guerlain *-- a boutique, a museum and a temple, all in one. And they have hard to come by scents which I swear smell different and far better than the same ones here. *Their Muguet, from 1906 I think, is a lovely soliflore Lilly of the Valley that is exquisite for spring.
    Yes, you are right, I came to the same conclusion.

OK Kitty I read this on the BoisdeJasmin Blog today:

I have some very sad news for Iunx wearers and I so hope that I have been given the wrong news. According to their SA in Printemps - Iunx will apparently be closing down the boutique this spring and the smallish stand in Printemps. This is very sad news for a some of my friends here who only use a lot of Iunx waters.
    I am particularly sad because I adore their candles and Eau Blanche 09.

Posted by: parislondres

IUNX was chosen as one of the most beautiful shops in the world (2004) By WALLPAPER It is worth a visit. If the comment is true its almost a MUST.

The shop is located near the corner of Rue du Bac and Rue de l'Université. From there you could probably walk to Rue de Grenelle for F. Malle and again to Place Saint Sulpice where Annick Goutal have a little "Boutique" which was renovated just last summer. If you are a fan of Mr. Browns books the St. Sulpice church is also a nice place to murder a nun.

Of course you wll not miss the Guerlain Boutique on Champs Elisée - altough nobody will call this a NICHE Company.

Have a great trip - always a your service

EauxMag

Posted by: EauxMag
    If you are a fan of Mr. Browns books the St. Sulpice church is also a nice place to murder a nun.

;D ;D ;D!!!
    I've read a book, but not so a big fan! Definitely, St. Sulpice is place worth to visit!
    This weekend, I'll study Paris city map in order to plan my route.