Code of Conduct

Default A little help please...

Well my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and because she is a lover of perfume, I figured I would try giving her perfume. Now my dilemma, her favorite fragrances are Amor Amor by Cacharel and Light Blue by D&G. So, if you could help me out by telling me some other scents that are like Amor Amor of Light Blue but that are different enough that she would have reason to enjoy them that would be a big help. I plan on going to my local mall (has a Dillardís, Perfumania and marshal fields) on Saturday and because I donít wont to be aimlessly led around by unhelpful S.A.s I would like to have a few in mind. Thank you.

Default Re: A little help please...

OK, here goes:

Lanvin Eclat D'Arpege (I already see you paying at the register for this one! :-))
    Cacharel Promesse
    Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto and Incanto Dreams
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    YSL Baby Doll (grapefruit on top)
    Escada Island Kiss
    Hugo Boss woman (red)
    Gucci Envy and derivatives
    Cerruti 1881 (give it a chance of a full day wear, please)
    Christian Lacroix Bazar (not Tumulte)
    Versace Versus Time for Pleasure (very kissable and lickable)
    Nina Ricci Premier Jour
    Paris Hilton for her
    Brittney Spears Fantasy
    Lancome Miracle
    SJParker Lovely

Good luck! Please inform of the result.

Ladylonestar

I was going to wait to respond until

(a) I found my sample of Amor Amor and sniffed it
    (b) I spritzed on some Light Blue again
    (c) I had time to make some commentary on the fragrances I suggest

but... Christmas may be here again before I get to do any or all of that so... here goes... and these may or may not necessarily be similar to Amor Amor or Light Blue... just some suggestions. *I'd like to say, however, that you're going to become overwhelmed very quickly, I'm sure, so just pick out some from any of the lists you get here and do a little preliminary research online as to notes or reviews. *There's no way, IMHO, you can sample every fragrance suggested in one day, plus all those that well-meaning SAs will suggest (and they will suggest.)

I want to send you to the Classics -- Lancome's Magie Noire; Estee Lauder's Private Collection, Knowing, White Linen, Estee, Cinnabar; Chanel's Coco, Nos. 19 and 22; YSL's Paris; Cartier's Must; Guerlain's Chamade, Apres l'Ondee; Dior's Dolce Vita, Hypnotic Poison; VC&A First (so beautiful)... but maybe another time.

Anyway, in addition to Timberwolf's list, here are a few suggestions:

Flowerbomb (definitely try to sample this one)
    Lolita Lempicka
    Alexander McQueen MyQueen
    Donna Karan Cashmere Mist
    Armani Sensi
    Bulgari Omnia
    Miss Dior Cherie
    Moschino I Love Love
    Estee Lauder Beautiful
    Tommy Bahama for Women
    Stella
    Pink Sugar (this one has a lot more depth than the name suggests)
    Philosophy Falling in Love
    JLo's Live
    Versace Crystal Noir
    Boucheron Trouble
    Hermes Eau des Mervreilles

Had enough? *

Edited to add Eau des Merveilles.

Ladylonestar

I used a link provided by Quarry in another thread -- to Michael Edwards Fragrance Adviser -- so here's a short list for you:

Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue:

- 360 for Women, Perry Ellis
    - Cerruti 1881 Pour Femme (on Timberwolf's list)
    - Beautiful, Estee Lauder (on my list)

Amor Amor:

- Allure, Chanel
    - Contradiction
    - Armand Basi in Red

Good luck!

Just a note to say that I fully endorse the Magie Noire recommendation. The Bourgeon de Cassis note in the top-mid and early dryout is among the the great creative strokes in perfumery, IMHO. Too bad it is so unsupported by Lancome, here. When I smell it, in Europe, it is distinctive and seductive, and I know, even when I can't see, that it must be coming from a beautiful women, as I discovered when I was going in and out of the shops in the Marais, trying to find the source of the Magie Noire.

Just doesn't get any better....

Sorry to *3rdGenScentr and Ladylonestar, I didnt get a chance to read your recommendations before I went to try things out today.
    There are a few I didnít even give thought to (Boucheron Trouble and Armani Sensi) because my mom wears them. Elaine (my girlfriend) already has Paris Hilton (she also enjoys it). Also, Timberwolf was right on with the recommendation for Lanvin Eclat D'Arpege, sadly I just found out that Elaine bought it for herself 3 days ago... Well anyway, now that I have part of my life's story out of the way (lol):

What I tried out:

Island Kiss - Let me put it this way, I would feel bad making her think she needs to wear this and smell like fruit punch in the dead of winter.

Incanto Dreams - Not bad. Not as over the top (IMO) as Island Kiss. I could definitely see Elaine wearing this. The only real reason I decided against this one is that it is indeed winter.

Omnia - Unlike anything I have smelled before. But I dont know if in a good way. While I didn't gag when I smelled it, I just felt it was lacking something... I dont really know what but it just felt incomplete. A shame really as I am sure Elaine would love the tea accord.

Allure (Edt) - Another one that I was indecisive about. I was somewhat neutral with this one. While I do believe it is good, its vanilla powdery-ness just does not fit Elaine's personality. (We are both 17 and she tends to go the opposite way I do in that she likes to "smell her age" light and fresh and fruity.)

Fantasy - The S.A. laughingly agreed with me when I proclaimed "Ah, bottled cotton candy".

Very Irresistible- I spent some time smelling and deliberating on this one. What finally turned me away from this anise and rose bouquet is that it started to give me a headache.

Touch of Pink - the S.A. told me that this one was very similar to Very Irresistible. So, hoping that it would be the answer to my question of what to get Elaine, I tried it. I do not get the connection. Ok it is in a pink bottle as well and it is a "fresh" floral. To me, this just is not anything special.

Envy Me - Perhaps because it was my last real try (everything after this smelled the same) but this just didnít impress me.

Other than that, the S.A. had me try all of the Claiborne scents, from the Curves to Lucky You. None of which are noteworthy (imo). However, Lucky You was a bit nauseating.

What I ended up buying:
    Cheap and Chic I Love Love: This one got my attention from the start. To me, it smells similar to D&G light blue (is it just me?) but I think that its fresh/fruity/citrus character does enough to take a step back from Light Blue. My decision was between I Love Love and Incanto Dreams but the dry down of I Love Love, something I found to have a warm quality convinced me this was the better deciscion considering the time of the year. So here is to hoping she likes it.

P.S. Thanks for all the help ladies. ;D

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture17
    What I ended up buying:
    Cheap and Chic I Love Love: This one got my attention from the start. To me, it smells similar to D&G light blue (is it just me?) but I think that its fresh/fruity/citrus character does enough to take a step back from Light Blue. My decision was between I Love Love and Incanto Dreams but the dry down of I Love Love, something I found to have a warm quality convinced me this was the better deciscion considering the time of the year. So here is to hoping she likes it.
    I think you made an excellent choice! It got my attention right from the start, too. I've been recommending this one a lot lately. No, it's not just you -- I, too, think it's very similar to D&G Light Blue, except it has the orange instead of the apple. Congratulations... and good luck! I hope Elaine loves it. You deserve a great big hug and kiss from her!

Envy Me - Perhaps because it was my last real try (everything after this smelled the same) but this just didnít impress me.
    I think the original one is far better! I love its vitis vinifera flower note! Give it a try!

Hi, I just thought I would add on a bit of a follow-up. Elaine loved her gift. Also, as we were out to the mall celebrating her b-day her friends commented on how good she smelled and asked what she was wearing. So looks like I made a good choice. Thanks again.
    -Justin

Ladylonestar

So looks like I made a good choice.
    Yes, it sure does. Congratulations! And thanks for reporting back to us. We don't always get feedback on our suggestions/recommendations. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]