Code of Conduct

Thread: Pure Turquoise

Default Pure Turquoise

This was launched fairly recently and I wasn't sure it was available here because of all of the hype and how exclusive I heard it is suppose to be. Well, I haven't seen the pure parfum, but the photos show an absolutely gorgeous design with a turquoise gemstone as the stopper. Now that is a lot more exotic than you would expect from Ralph Lauren, won't you say?

I tried it the other day (the EDP spray) and have been walking around with scent stripes in my pockets sniffing them every now and than. It smelled very pleasant and familiar when I first sniffed it. A nice and clean, fresh floral (almost in a watery way yet not calone sickening) with evident citrus top notes. I tried it on, paying attentnion to it only over a couple of hours, to be pleasantly surprised it did not turn into the usual powdery floral chemical concoction that frequently dissapoints me with new floral launches. That's a nice bonus in my book to start with, but there was something about it that I could not place that smelled strangely familiar - yet it took me a while to pinpoint exactly what it is. First I thought it was a bit like Champs Elysees - only cooler and somewhat more green and fresh. It only occured to me today what it is: Fructis hair products by Garnier. I think I have enough shampoo as it is.

I haven't quite tried to place the notes on this one, so I am going to list the promotional notes, though I wasn't able to notice most of them, except maybe the cassis (there is some fruitiness in the opening) and lilly of the valley, which I am sure is there as well. I can't trace any orange blossom absolute, maybe some neroli. I smell no rum, no vanilla or amber, and most of the obscure floral notes listed I never smelled in real life. Nevertheless, they all sound dreamy, exotic and tranquil, which I am sure is intentional. One last comment - it is also marketed as chypre floral, which an impossible classification. It is a fresh floral in my opinion. There is not a single element of oakmoss detectable in this perfume to make it a chypre in a million years.

Top note: Dewy Cassis, Violet Petals, Lily of the Valley, Cactus Flower
    Middle note: Night Cereus, Orange Flower Absolute, Desert Lily
    Base note: Patchouli, Silver Birch Wood, Polished Amber, Vanilla Bourbon, Rum.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Pure Turquoise

I've only sniffed a scented magazine insert, which was, as I recall, fairly nice. Haven't found any Pure Turquoise in my area yet to sniff, but soon, I hope. Thanks for another most enjoyable review, Ayala!

This is a huge dissapointment for me as I was expecting more. While the drydown is nice, it is in the same vein as ralph and ralph does it better. The tops notes are absolutely horrid! It has the stench of pure celery salt. To get to the decent de ja vu drydown, one has to suffer the top notes.

Celery?! Now that's interesting!
    I am glad that I wasn't expecting too much, but this one really seemed to have more potential. It's too bad they weren't as innovative with the notes as with their packaging for the parfum!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Celery?! Now that's interesting!
    I am glad that I wasn't expecting too much, but this one really seemed to have more potential. It's too bad they weren't as innovative with the notes as with their packaging for the parfum!
    I agree, If I had the money and resources, I would dare to dream and come up with something better than the juice of pure turquoise. I am not very impressed with the house of ralph lauren but I do love wearing the polo shirts!