Code of Conduct

Default Apres London inspired BenGay

Am I the only one who thinks so? Because mrliberfarb is actually looking for a BenGay scent, and I just got my decant today.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Apres London inspired BenGay

Okay. Are you talking about Guerlain Apres l'Ondee? If so, are you saying that you think it smells like BenGay? I'm sorry -- I don't quite follow. :-[

Yes, I fear so! The aniseed and hesperidic notes combine to give a wintergreen topnote to my nose. It fades with time. I know its a favorite of basenoters! And wintergreen isn't the worst thing to smell like, so don't be offended, after all I can't even spell it!! There's a guy looking for wintergreen note on the male side. My brother is wheelchair bound with a childhood bone disease and if there's one scent I'm sensitive to, it's BenGay and wintergreen! Be rather amused at the diversity of noses. I believe minty notes and I will be at odds!!!

I also have L'Heure Bleue and Nahema on the strength of basenoter opinion, and they are gorgeous!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    ... And wintergreen isn't the worst thing to smell like, so don't be offended...
    Confused. Not offended. Confused. Didn't know what you were talking about.

... My brother is wheelchair bound with a *childhood bone disease and if there's one scent I'm sensitive to, it's BenGay and wintergreen!
    I'm terribly, terribly sorry to hear that. However, to be clear, I wasn't asking you to qualify your findings. I wasn't challenging you. I was asking you what you were/are talking about because I was... you guessed it! Confused. :-/

Be rather amused at the diversity of noses.
    It's an endless source of fascination. We smell what we smell. As for Apres l'Ondee, I have a small decant but I don't recall anything about it. Another fragrance that I look forward to re-testing.

Point well taken--I confuse a lot of people. Occasionally myself!!

I currently like Ben Gay better than Apres l'Ondee. But the latter is a classic, so I'll probably try it again some time in the future.

Apres L'Ondee's famous anise note is certainly experienced differently by as many different noses! Before I tried it, I read a very credible description that termed it 'a thinking woman's fragrance' and another that described it as opening cold, then warming up into the midnote. Some described it as 'rustic and nostalgic', others as a 'country floral garden after a rain' (which at least suits its name). So I was very curious to try it.
    I found it to be like none and all of the descriptions, though it doesn't strike me as an intellectualized fragrance. I actually like the anise note and find it makes all the difference in this fragrance - it takes it out of the simple old fashioned floral and gives it a conflicting soberness or dark green streak. I find it a decidedly synergistic combination. I like the juxtaposition of country floral and Pernod note the anise provides, giving it a French sensibility to my mind.
    I didn't pick up Bengay or wintergreen, but if I had I probably wouldn't like AL, neither Bengay or wintergreen being a favorite scent.
    I do like Apres L'Ondee - it's a floral I can wear without problems, which are few and far between. It's one I wish were more widely available, and in EDP strength.

shycat im impressed! you do your research!