Code of Conduct

Thread: Come on ladies!

Default Come on ladies!

As I try to learn more and more about the opposite sex's world of scents, I grow more and more frusterated with perfumes lacking many reviews, few bottles being shown, and not enough charts. For instance, I'm very curious about the top notes in Jessical Mcglintock. I've noticed that there is indepth reports for Guerlin, and Channel, but not enough attention paid to other brands. I've tried my best to recruit females to join basenotes, get more people involved!

Default Re: Come on ladies!

Indeed you're right dear mrliberfarb, Ladies here can be a bit lazy....
    But on the other hand, feminine half of basenotes is pretty youger than masculine side; so I think we must give our young princesses time enough to make their domain opulent and wide like the ancient masculine one. At least the same time.... And if I can say, they started pretty good!

Well, somehow you both are right! I have my little purple book full of scribbles -- notes, noses, etc. and I am using it while making riddles. Let it be my New Year's resolution then: to organize my notes and start sending them to the Directory section of Basenotes. The only thing I am hesitant about is my opinion: it changes, and that is the problem. I used to not like roses or musks, but now I start appreciating them more, depending on the quality of the blend.

I do not believe that we as a group are lazy, we are just changing all the time. :P

As for your question, Jessica McClintock is primarily known for her wedding gowns and evening dresses, she got 6 or 7 fragrances on the market, too. Jessica McClintock (1988) in a white box with silver accents is a green floral, mostly lily-of-the-valley scent reminiscent of Diorissimo, with the notes of
    Top: Black currant bud, bergamot, basil, ylang-ylang;
    Heart: Rose, white jasmine, lily-of-the-valley;
    Base: Musk, woods.

Thanks for your question and your suggestions!

I've got all kinds of notes on everything I try. I haven't sent anything into the directory--because

I didn't realize I could! : I have done some reviews, and some of them are pending. My

tastes change, but that's a given for everyone. Anything, almost, I've said regarding a fragrance

that's over a month ago may be on it's head today! All I can promise is that it seemed like

a good idea at the time.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I only review when the fragrance gods move me. Jessica Mclintock hasn't!
    DONNA

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by mrliberfarb
    As I try to learn more and more about the opposite sex's world of scents, I grow more and more frusterated with perfumes lacking many reviews, few bottles being shown, and not enough charts.
    The *ladies* have little or nothing to do with photos of bottles or "charts" (olfactory pyramids) except anyone having photos of fragrances could share them with King of Basenotes -- not sure. The photos and pyramids are put in the Directory by Grant.

The Female Fragrance Discussion is young compared to the men's forum. When it opened, there were very few women's fragrances for us to even build our wardrobes let alone submit reviews. That's all changed now. My wardrobe is still incomplete and, for the most part, unorganized; however, Basenotes has gone through renovations and upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Indeed you're right dear mrliberfarb, Ladies here can be a bit lazy....
    I'd like to think that you said that with a mischievous twinkle in your eyes and a smile on your lips, Magnifiscent.

But on the other hand, feminine half of basenotes is pretty youger than masculine side; so I think we must give our young princesses time enough to make their domain opulent and wide like the ancient masculine one.
    Wow. "Young princesses." Interesting. Well, let me say this: Any Basenotes member, male or female, may write a review on any fragrance, male or female, and post it to the main forum or submit it to Grant for the Directory. The young princes are certainly welcome to research and sample female fragrances and submit reviews on them or post discussion threads.

I'm still learning my way around here.....but one thing I can promise: Once I start talking I'll NEVER shut up! LOL..... :-X

I started working on my "wardrobe" today, still learning how to do lots of things. I'll do all kinds of reviews!! Not saying I'm a master, but I have a good nose

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

... and, to be honest, some of us turn to makeupalley.com for its already-plentiful database of womenly reviews and notes. That doesn't mean we can't do something similar here. In fact, I think basenotes' audience is more sophisticated, on average, so there would be fewer reviews that read: 'Ohhh. I luv it so much! It's so pretty!! Will wear this 4-ever!!!' or equally ineffectual text.

Further affecting the speed of review entries here is, to be honest again, greed. I'll admit I was prompted to input reviews here when the $200 PerfumeBay.com reward was offered, knowing each review was like holding an additional lottery ticket. After that drawing was held, I read that basenotes may repeat such a promotion in the future, so I figured, 'What's the hurry in contributing a review now?'

Having confessed my non-virtuous side, I am pleased to say that when I write a review about a product for MUA and basenotes, I make a point of writing two different mini essays so the material is original to each site. This seems only fair.

I keep reading about what a tremendous strain the basenotes site is to maintain, and I don't want to ask its dear, anonymous (to me) creator to jump through hoops to add all the female frags out there, so maybe I don't encourage growth because of my polite silence. And, being a member for only a short time, I don't know if my interest will remain high, so I hesitate becoming a financially supportive member.

So, there you have it, the rambling thoughts from one female brain.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1135645352/0#1 date=1135648019]Indeed you're right dear mrliberfarb, Ladies here can be a bit lazy....
    I'd like to think that you said that with a mischievous twinkle in your eyes and a smile on your lips, Magnifiscent.[/quote]
    For sure my dear Lady... you thought correctly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1135645352/0#1 date=1135648019]But on the other hand, feminine half of basenotes is pretty youger than masculine side; so I think we must give our young princesses time enough to make their domain opulent and wide like the ancient masculine one.
    Wow. *"Young princesses." *Interesting. *Well, let me say this: *Any Basenotes member, male or female, may write a review on any fragrance, male or female, and post it to the main forum or submit it to Grant for the Directory. *The young princes are certainly welcome to research and sample female fragrances and submit reviews on them or post discussion threads. *[/quote]
    Thanks for your welcoming, I won't mind to do it... But I'd really also like to view young princesses grow becoming proud queens of their domain (even if frontiers of it are open to gentle princes)

Yes, indeed. Queen of my domain. My, that has a familiar ring to it! [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif]

Ooops. [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

Ladylonestar

Thanks for your welcoming, I won't mind to do it... But I'd really also like to view young princesses grow becoming proud queens of their domain (even if frontiers of it are open to gentle princes)
    Okay. Thanks. I don't know about this princess and queen thing, but I think the female fragrance discussion forum is growing nicely. We definitely could use more fragrance reviews in the Directory but I think interest and contributions will pick up in time (even without, and hopefully without, the contest incentive). All in all, I'm very proud of the female fragrance forum at this point, thrilled by its growth, optimistic about its future, and delighted every day by its members and their participation and contribution.

I did visit MUA while basenotes was down, but I found it to be totally useless. I agree the reveiws were mostly knee jerk, two sentence reactions--more like a poll on 'did you like it?' When I became interested in finding a great fragrance for myself, my son found basenotes for me. I'd never been on a computer before but found this site irresistable. I love the directory and count on rational reviews, and try to give them as well. It's true this may be a phase I'm going through, and after I've run with it I may get distracted by a diet support site. In the meantime, however, WOO HOO!!

Interesting discussion! I had the same experience with MUA. I actually enjoy MUA's review format, and use it consistently, especially if I can't find a review here, but it does have a fair amount of useless reviews (as if mine aren't!).
    Also... I'm going to vent with one of my pet peeves - I can only sit through so many reviews which diss fragrances I love as old-lady-scents. It makes me feel so....old. :'( And I run into that a lot on MUA.
    I almost did a nasty review there of Escada Tropical Punch involving the words bubblegummer, teennybopper and pubescent before I collected myself and refrained. Can you imagine being driven to such lengths? That's what MUA does to me sometimes. :
    I gravitated to BN because I liked the conversations going on here best, and only later discovered the directory. I have to admit to some frustration at not being able to add a fragrance that isn't already in the database. I wouldn't mind doing the legwork on some if there was a way to do it. But I have a feeling that would involve an entirely different input process, and LOTS of work on Grant's part.