Code of Conduct

Thread: Advice, please!

Default Advice, please!

Ladies (and gentlemen),
    a potentially dangerous situation arose yesterday: they opened a new shop in my hometown that carries complete lines of Lorenzo Villoresi, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, L'Artisan Parfumeur and Comme des Garcons. Now, normally I had to hunt for niche fragrances while travelling abroad as here only Annick Goutal, Etro, Diptique and odd but expensive Creeds were available. Now I am aware this could end up in potential bankrupcy! L'Artisan doesn't work well on my skin anyway so I'm safe there. CdG I also have some already.

So, before I even venture shopping I'd like some recommendations on LV and MPG so I focus on those and go overboard
    LV I owe none and am only familiar with Incensi from a sample.
    MPG I have Secrete Datura and definitely regret not getting George Sand last time in Paris. But they have so many marvellous ones...

Thanks!
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Advice, please!

The first MPG I sampled, and just happened to fall in love with, was Eau de Camelia Chinois. A dear friend sent me a large decant so before I got around to ordering a full bottle, along came George Sand... and there went my heart and my money. Soie Rouge is another that's on my might-consider-buying-full-bottle list... right after I purchase a full bottle of Or des Indes.

As for Lorenzo Villoresi, I love Teint de Neige and Yerbamate. I purchased a good-sized decant of the Yerbamate, which will last awhile, but TdN is a must-have.

With the exception of Avignon and Kyoto, Comme des Garcons (so far) don't really interest me or tempt me. Of course, that could change at any moment.

MPG Fleur d'Iris is very pretty. Also Eau des Iles from the men's range.

LV Incenso(sp),Dilmun,Musk,Donna
    DONNA

Thanks for advice, ladies.
    Went to the store today but, luckily enough for me, their prices are not yet in the computer so I couldn't make a purchase ('till tomorrow, that is ).

I instantly fell in love with LV Teint de Neige (is it just me or do the top notes resemble KM Loukhoum?), so that's the LV winner so far.

As for MPG, the situation is more complex, so the list is now narrowed to:
    - Or des Indes
    - Vocalise
    - Ambre Precieux
    - George Sand
    Which one would you pick?

MPG Or des Indes is a gorgeous golden oriental. Soft and powdery sandalwood and opoponax.
    Another of my favourites from MPG is Fleur des Comores, a smooth vanilla floral for those like me who don't like harsh smelling multifloral scents.

LV is another great line. Nice variety. Teinte de Neige (the colour of snow) is powder to the max; Dilmun a dry neroli; Musk, is floral and fragranced with rose; Donna an old-fashioned rose & violet and Yerbamate, deceptively, starts green and changes to a warm scent which I find similar to Must (Cartier). I have some Tabacco, which may be discontinued, that smells like sweet caramelised hay.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by levannah
    I instantly fell in love with LV Teint de Neige...
    It was the same with me -- loved it instantly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by levannah
    As for MPG, the situation is more complex, so the list is now narrowed to:
    - Or des Indes
    - Vocalise
    - Ambre Precieux
    - George Sand
    Which one would you pick?
    How on earth could I forget Ambre Precieux!? It's one of my favorite ambers. Yes, those are tough choices. I believe I have a small vial of the Vocalise that I haven't gotten round to sniffing yet. As for what I would pick -- I already did. I bought George Sand, but then later on I also bought a one-ounce decant of Ambre Precieux and a one-third ounce decant of Or des Indes, both from BN members. If I had it to do over again... I'd do it the same. George Sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    As for Lorenzo Villoresi, I love Teint de Neige and Yerbamate. *I purchased a good-sized decant of the Yerbamate, which will last awhile, but TdN is a must-have.
    Loney, you and I frequently have similar tastes. Yerbamate is a household staple around these parts, and Teinte de Neige is right by my bedside stand ready to be spritzed on this tired old body. I almost wore it today, and I don't know what in heaven stopped me although I was quite happy with No. 22 and got two swoons from people walking by who smiled and said "Nice perfume!"

Levannah, lock yourself in a closet and push the key under the door. Or....get out that charge card and go, girl!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Thanks for all wonderful advice, ladies.
    I bought LV Teint de Neige and MPG Or des Indes.

Next time it will be Ambre Precieux and George Sand, but for now I've forbidden myself to get anything else this year.
    P.S. this shop says they will also carry Serge Lutens from next month on. Aaargh!

Does anyone know where I can find Histoire d’Eau Topaze by Mauboussin? A couple of other Mauboussin fragrances are available online, but not this one. Thanks very much.
    Lefay

Overcome By Fumes

You must give MPG Soie Rouge a try! The only LV of which I am enamored is Piper Nigrum.

i personally wouldn't bother with ANY of the women's mpg...most of the men's are fascinating---especially grain de plaisir..

most of the lv's are captivating--my favorite being spezie which starts out (on me) as a too strong spice attack and dries down churchy...lovely
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

Default Re: Advice, please! Arabian Bazaar?

I saw an ad on these pages for www.arabianbazaar.com and had a look. They sell lots of natural perfume oils (and incense, etc.), and some of them sound intriguing, but descriptions are vague, when offered at all. Has anyone had any experience with these fragrances, good or bad? Any recommendations? Thanks very much.

Lefay