Code of Conduct

Default Whatever happened to Eaux de Colognes?

I wonder if the wonderfully knowledgeable Basenotes community people can answer this question:

Back when I first started wearing scent, as a teenager and in my early twenties, I seem to remember that scent was available in 3 concentrations: eau de cologne, eau de toilette and parfum.

Now, it seems that one can only get eau de toilette, eau de parfum and parfum.

Has anyone else noticed this change? And if so, how recent is it? What happened?

Honestly, I'm not that old, but it seems as if eau de cologne is non-existent for women and only available in men's fragrances.

It only recently hit me that this is so, and it made me wonder.

Default Re: Whatever happened to Eaux de Colognes?

Across the board EDC is disappearing, and you'll be hard pressed to find it for any major brand anymore. The only women's cologne I can think of is Tommy Girl.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Good question. I have been wondering about this, too.

Two eaux de colognes that immediately come to mind are Guerlain Eau du Coq and Imperiale. (I believe these are historical throwbacks and only in production as somewhat-limited curiousities? I like them...)

A cologne: Canoe (which was on sale at Walgreen's, $10.00 for 8 oz./ 240 ml splash.)

Canoe lasts longer than any EDTs. (Has been decanted into a sprayer.) Is it because it is 'cheap'? By cheap I mean poorly made to be sold in mass quantities at low price cashing in on a formerly good brand name?

Hi!
    Isn`t *Eau de Parfum a fairly new term?? Have a vague feeling EdC "got out" when EdP "came in"(-hope you understand what I mean.. *:P

Musse
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan