Code of Conduct

Default Brand New, and needing fragrance help!

Hey there, I'm having quite a time finding a suitible fragrance for myself. I seem to find something I don't like about most parfumes :-/

What would you suggest for a girl in her early 20's that's age apporpriate, not too sweet, but definitely not musky either. Something that suggests a rolling storm in New Orleans (read: Magnolia, something reminiscent of rain??)

I've heard of White Tea and Magnolia by.. Elaaria?? but apparently they don't sell it anywhere but online, and I just don't want to risk it, since I've never heard of it.

I actually am just using an old bottle of Moves for Her on my clothes just to kind of refresh them... I actually like it, but nothing I would wear out...

My current fragrance is my Fructis hairspray, haha >_<

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and as you can probably tell, I know next to NOTHING about parfumes.

Default Re: Brand New, and needing fragrance help!

Hello BD! Whadya know? I've been looking for magnolia notes myself. I don't have them yet but I'm after Chelsea Flower #9 by Bond New York and Love in White by Creed. Neither of them have a rain/ozone note but I can recommend Demeter Fragrance Library's "Rain" which I've been known to layer with the occasional floral. Rain is a bit sweet and I find it interesting with a non-powdery clear floral, and sometimes on it's own. This is where I'm starting. Welcome to the search!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur is a beautiful scent that evokes a sense of raininess and earthiness to me. if you like roses, this may be what you're looking for. it's supposedly unisex but as far as i'm concerned, this one's for the ladies. downsides: it's almost too rosey, it doesn't last long, and i don't think it would be a good everyday or every-weather fragrance.

in general, my fav women's perfumes are:
    Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel
    Chance by Chanel
    Spring Flower by Creed
    they don't really fit your requirements though.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Welcome, Dirt! Another Demeter fan here, and I thoroughly enjoy their Dirt and Thunderstorm scents, frequently wearing them together for a fresh, just-rained smell. Wet Garden is another favorite o'mine, and goes well in combination with either of them too. Sure wish they lasted longer, though.

Speaking of shampoos, I recently wrote Nature's Gate to get the ingredients they use to scent their Chamomile Shampoo. They should bottle and sell the stuff as a fragrance IMO. I swear I saw a Fructis fragrance somewhere on the web. If I run into it again, I'll let you know.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Blog Entries

My absolute favorite rain fragrance is in a perfume oil...and I can't think of the brand, but it's called Spring Rain. FABULOUS rain scent. Was my signature scent for a long time. The bizare thing is...Jovan Musk for Men smells rather reminiscent of Spring Rain when applied very lightly. I actually wear dabs of Jovan Musk every once in awhile because of this. It's not an EXACT match, but I don't know where to find that Spring Rain I once wore!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Hey, Beautiful! *I get that all the time myself.

This is going to sound weird: Handwash a sweater (or maybe a t-shirt for starters) in Fructis shampoo. I had to use shampoo when I ran out of Woolite during a sweater washing fiesta. Left my sweaters tangle-free, shiny and managable. And smelling of shampoo fragrance. (I recently switched to unscented so as not to compete with my fragrances.)

The other day at Sephora some teenagers were having a fight with the Demeter testers. Redolent of Tomato and Dirt. I figured in about 20 minutes they'd be ready for another rumble.

Check the Basenote's Sell/Swap board, the Basenote's Shopping Guides for Fragrance and Skincare and the Search function (type in 'samples' - it will index postings regarding samples from Basenote's threads) and the Basenote's Directory. Really useful.

The only rain scent I am familiar with: Seattle Rain. From samples. www.gothrosary.com

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    The other day at Sephora some teenagers were having a fight with the Demeter testers. Redolent of Tomato and Dirt.
    Food fight!

But seriously, I agree with Fufu: Demeter's Wet Garden is a must sample.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

En garde!

Just put down the Vanilla Cake Batter, sidewinder, or you'll be pushin' up daisies.

Oh. Is it a wet garden-type scent we're after? Graveyard: "Green & Floral... The smell of rich loamy soil, fresh green grass with a note of floral...." * or *Crypt: "Surrounded, Haunting... The smell of moss clinging to a marble Mausoleum.... "

I am leaning towards the purchase of Crypt. I just wish it had a different name. Like Moss Garden or something.

L'artisan Voleur De Roses

Thanks everyone! I am now on the quest to get ahold of Voleur de Roses... I went to the only place in town to buy fragrance, and they looked at me like I was from Space! They showed me Noa Fleur, and insisted that was what I was talking about >

Oh well.. I will find it!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulDirt
    Thanks everyone! I am now on the quest to get ahold of Voleur de Roses... I went to the only place in town to buy fragrance, and they looked at me like I was from Space!
    you could get a decant first to try it out. then if you like it, you can order straight from L'Artisan.

BN decanters of Voleur de Roses: IPaidForThisName, scentemental

L'Artisan online boutique: http://www.laboutiquedelartisanparfu.../index_new.php

hope you like it!

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado