Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default FM Musc Ravageur

Hi *waves*

I have recently been discussing the merits (or demerits) of FM Noir Epices on the Men's Fragrance board and thought I would ask the opinions of the women (and male lurkers *) on here concerning this other amazing FM perfume.

I am first and foremost a Chypre gal, though I do also appreciate many of the classic, full-bodied, lusty orientals available (Shalimar, Tabu, Must de Cartier, Theorema)!

I was however somewhat surprised to find myself loving the deep, melting chocolatiness that is Musc Ravaguer on my skin - all hot spicy spiced melting chocolate without ever becoming too dense or cloying just more and more smoky & spicey as the scent lingers on. This scent is purr sex. I am like a great cat - I prowl, purr with pleasure, growl with displeasure, select my prey and... * *boy does it linger! I can always smell the sweet lingering last notes of this scent the morning after the night before - even if I applied it before 8pm.

Even though I am usually anti-gourmand (I have considered Angel to be the 'Anti-perfume' at times) I have enjoyed layering Musc Ravageur over TBS Amorito! *:P

Funnily enough it seems to make the MR less gourmand and reveals it deeper, darker musk origins / nature... and did I mention the spice?!! LOL *;D

Thanks for reading my (per)fume fueled yabbering but the real points are this:

After Must de Cartier EDP / parfum, FM Musc Ravageur is my current favourite Musk fragrance - it is positively sublime with my chemistry! *;D Is this the same for you?

I wondered if there was a fragrance equivalent / smell alike for my lean days when I have the need but not the means to get my fix?

I would really love to hear your personal experience / views on this amazing scent...

:-*
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: FM Musc Ravageur

I'm another admirer of both Must de Cartier and Musc Ravageur.
    Although I wear Must de Cartier all the time when I'm in the mood, Musc Ravageur strikes me as more of a evening/nighttime scent. It is sharp and provocative, very sexy in a femme fatale from a film noir sense. My ex also used it and therefore I can say it is equally stunning on both men and women. Most of all, I appreciater its individuality, unlike so many waters in stores these days. I wouldn't call it gourmand, though.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Musk Ravageur to me is mostly vanilla - and a lot of it - layered with cinnamon and musk.
    It is pleasant, but it does not do it for me as much as for Moondeva and Levannah.

It reminds me of other vannillic scents that are mainly synthetic - more like vanillin than the authentic, rich dark vanilla - namely some of the Coty vanillas out there (Vanilla Fields and Dark Vanilla and Vanilla Musk), and also it is reminding me of Tocade's vanillic base. Tocade is sparkling, clean and cool where as Musk Ravageur is warmer, richer and darker.

I liked it and to me it's one of those relaxing bedtime scent (as opposed to seductive evening scent). However it's not earth shaddering to me, the sample size of 5ml will last me for a long long time...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Please allow me to join you here to continue a discussion which started in the male fragrance forum „FM Noir Epices“,also on Nov 19th.
    Key sentences of mine were: ‚ From all the Malle offerings, and Vetiver excepted, I consider Epices Noir and Musk Ravageur best suited for men. Musk Ravageur is ...a romantic giant comparable to nothing in that field (for me).
    Key sentence of Moondeva:‚ I would more say that these fragrances are ideal for strong, sensual, confident , charismatic, assertive individuals who know what they want and know how to get it (regardless of their sex)!‘

Musk Ravageur has become sort of ‚my scent‘ during the past 12 months. I have no problem with the fact that it is increasingly getting popular - with other m e n that is! It has in fact bothered me all day, having this familiar smell on my skin, that actually it might be just as wonderful on you, ladies! And of course I wonder how you view ‚shared fragrances‘ in practice. In theory all odds are against my claiming it as masculine. I should mention here, that both Moondeva and myself have obviously been advised by FMalle staff, that MR would be best for us (from the 15 they offer).

And for your convenience, the website describes it as follows:
    << MUSC RAVAGEUR. Sensual and sophisticated. Powerful yet perfectly controlled. Dramatic and mysterious. MUSC RAVAGEUR is a grown-up perfume, an uncompromising Oriental, which trumps current fads. Its explosive departure of bergamot, tangerine and cinnamon is set against a lusty backdrop of vanilla, musk and amber. No flowers, just a refined and exalted skin scent. >>

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Actually (I believe) the 'Key Sentences' with correct emphasis are:

narcus: From all the Malle offerings, and Vetiver excepted, I consider Epices Noir and Musk Ravageur best suited for men.

moondeva: I would more say that these fragrances are ideal for strong, sensual, confident , charismatic, assertive individuals who know what they want and know how to get it (regardless of their sex) !

:P

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    And for your convenience, the website describes it as follows:
    << MUSC RAVAGEUR. Sensual and sophisticated. Powerful yet perfectly controlled. Dramatic and mysterious. MUSC RAVAGEUR is a grown-up perfume, an uncompromising Oriental, which trumps current fads. Its explosive departure of bergamot, tangerine and cinnamon is set against a lusty backdrop of vanilla, musk and amber. No flowers, just a refined and exalted skin scent. >>
    This is very interesting to me as another great love of mine is Organza Indecence by Givenchy which is another (sadly d/ctd) masterpiece of non-floral oriental. It is much more definably feminine, but the same warmth & strength of character is a mark of this scent.

I wonder if we equate the presence of florals to softness or 'weakness'? Or may be the very fact of choosing to omit the most fundamental basic family of scent notes is a declaration of independent thought and mindset? *:-/ *

I must admit to wearing Diesel Zero Plus Masculine as an equal alternative (it is less 'dense' & sugary with ease. I intend to purchase a bottle of M7 by YSL as I find it to be a more complimentary expression of that spice / musk / *incense theme - even though the the femme version Nu, smells pretty darn good on me too. *

I am also still in search of my HG gourmand vanilla fragrance and so far have only found the herbaceous woodiness of Givenchy Pi to adequately represent pie crust vanilla for me without the toothaching cloy of most female gourmand scents. Is there another less woodsy vanilla based men's EDT that you could recommend for me? My search goes on...

Strangers and friends have told me that Cabochard, a wonderfully dry Mossy Chypre is quite 'old fashioned / grown up' and 'mannish', probably due to the bucket loads of leather in the base (smelt from the bottle). However they also have to concede that it smells amazing on me and becomes uniquely my own. Another HG! *;D

My point is that I have noticed in myself, a leaning towards fragrances which convey strength and individuality in an assertive, self confident, charismatic manner which is normally 'considered' the reserve of men. Musc Ravageur is definitely one of these with an extra dollop of smokey sensuality and a nice touch of gourmand (chocolate). I believe scents like these suit a certain type of 'character' or nature rather than a particular gender.

Thanks for reading.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I am the opposite of a scent analyst, and I really do not care much about the way a perfume is done. Only the result matters to me. But I love to listen to its tune while I am occupied, better even, when I can relax and concentrate on the echoes within myself. They say that the formula for MR is actually unbelievably simple. Even the better, praise to M. Maurice Roucel! Perhaps a word still on vanilla here: I find it quite ample and that may actually be the combination of Vanilla and coumarin. I do not notice a prominence of spice, and it‘s rather a 'phantom chocolate' I may notice, not more. All reviews(directory) are fun reading and correct in their own ways. I particularly like the one- and twoliners, like "Musc Ravageur = Shalimar meet A*men" (xavier), or: ".... Very sexy, envelopes you in a sensual cocoon! Makes me feel like some god of the night." (bal101) – Very correct, but this is not all. MR is not just a scent for two on one bed! I particularly like Ayalas observation that (for her) it is one of those relaxing bedtime scents (as opposed to seductive evening scent).

Now, is MR ideal for strong, sensual, confident , charismatic, assertive individuals who know what they want and know how to get it ?
    Answer: If they find nothing better, why not? But I am not sure, if it was particularly designed for alpha people at all. I say this as one male amongst many. Those dreamguys are not that easy to find. No perfumer could earn much of a living from them either. If a woman found one and can hold him, she is extremely lucky, I would say. Men are having new fantasies constantly. Fortunately for most women, they do n o t always know how to get there! So they compromise on what they have, for a while at least ;D
    More seriously: Man is not just adventurer, he does not even want to always conquer. There is also time to surrender, to give himself and let things happen. And that can be wonderful and can even help to create a long time relationship. And all of this, for me really all that, is contained in the magic of Musk Ravageur. Whether or not it is well or badly suited for me, others should be asked. Their judgement would not really make a big difference. I find that MR is an ideal companion on some of my paths. That is what matters, and therfore it is perfect.

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I wonder if we equate the presence of florals to softness or 'weakness'? Or may be the very fact of choosing to omit the most fundamental basic family of scent notes is a declaration of independent thought and mindset? :-/
    not being a woman, i can't speak to why women choose to wear what they do. i can say that i associate florals with femininity and softness, but definitely not weakness. in fact, i tend to associate it more with independence and confidence - a confidence in and comfort with herself and her own femininity. these days it's refreshing to find a woman who can wear a pretty floral with style and flair. that's not to say i associate non-florals with the opposite.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Thank you for that little bit of insight there, narcus, into the dreamguy.

Musc Ravageur has an animalic accord to me; an intimate body scent. I can smell lavendar, bergamot, cinnamon & amber. No chocolate or otherwise gourmand notes.
    Not really alike at all, but I do get a similar feel from the drydown of Armani Privé Ambre Soie.

I haven't had the pleasure (yet) of smelling either on a male (alpha or beta), but I'm hoping.