Code of Conduct

Default New: Ralph Lauren Pure Turquoise.

WWD.com

NEW YORK — In September, Ralph Lauren Fragrances is hoping to increase its share of the women's fragrance market with the help of a certain semiprecious stone: Pure Turquoise.

The scent was developed for “a sophisticated, elegant and chic woman” in the 20- to 45-year-old age range, according to Heather Simmons, vice president of global marketing for Ralph Lauren Fragrances. She added that the stone “really ties into the heritage of Ralph Lauren,” who has used turquoise in his collections for years.

Launching in Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus in mid-September, the Pure Turquoise fragrance will be available both in a lower-priced eau de parfum spray version and as a $350 parfum, which features one-of-a-kind “pure” turquoise bottle tops — and, incidentally, the highest price point in the brand’s history. The fragrance will roll out to Bloomingdale’s in late September and then all other U.S. doors in October for a limited distribution of 926 doors. Despite the fragrance’s limited distribution (the normal distribution for Lauren’s other fragrances is generally around 2,200 doors), executives are counting on Pure Turquoise to significantly strengthen the company’s relationship with female customers.

“This [fragrance] is a very important key to helping us get to that 15 percent share of the women’s market,” said Jack Wiswall, president of the designer fragrances division of L’Oréal USA. Wiswall added that Ralph Lauren currently holds a 10 percent share in the women’s fragrance market and a 30 percent share in the men’s market. While Wiswall would not comment on sales figures, industry sources expect Pure Turquoise to do up to $25 million in its first three months on-counter.

Pure Turquoise eaux de parfum spray will retail at $55 for 2.5 oz. and $72.50 for 4.2 oz., respectively, and the scent is priced slightly higher than Ralph Lauren’s current highest-priced women’s fragrance, Romance. In addition, a $40 Body Lotion and a Shower Gel for $37.50 will be available. Simmons said the positioning of Pure Turquoise signals the designer’s increased focus on boosting his image in the luxury market and compared the fragrance’s positioning with that of Purple Label, the brand’s upscale men’s cologne with a limited distribution. “Ralph has been trying to enhance his image lately, and we’re positioning this as the luxury fragrance in our portfolio,” she said.

Developed by Annie Buzantian of Firmenich, the Pure Turquoise juice is described as a floral chypre and was inspired by the cool blue stone, according to Jennifer Mullarkey, assistant vice president, global fragrance development for Ralph Lauren. “It was easy to work off the whole idea of turquoise,” she said. “The Navajo Indians believed turquoise was a piece of the sky that fell to the earth, so we started to look at the fragrance through layers; a journey of the turquoise falling through the sky.”

Mullarkey described the notes in terms of such a journey: Cool Sky, the top note, consists of dewy cassis, indigo violet petals, lily of the valley and cactus flower; the middle note, Sun-Kissed Flowers, features night-blooming cereus, orange flower absolute, Bulgarian rose absolute and desert lily, while the bottom note, Rich Earth, contains earthen patchouli, silver birchwood, polished amber, vanilla bourbon and rum. “[The juice] brings in turquoise’s stone color itself, but also its sensuality, as well,” she said.

The company has planned both print and television advertising for Pure Turquoise, featuring dark-haired Russian model Valentina donning Ralph Lauren turquoise jewelry and simple Ralph Lauren gowns. The print campaign will make its debut in the September issue of Vogue, followed by the October issues of women’s fashion, beauty and lifestyle magazines. Both the TV and print ads were shot by photographer Bruce Weber.

In addition, the launch will be supported by 20 million-plus scent strips and 20 million scented co-op blow-ins over a three-month period, according to Wiswall. And, while he would not comment on specific figures, industry sources estimate that the company will spend between $12 million to $15 million on advertising.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: New: Ralph Lauren Pure Turquoise.

I'd really love to sample this fragrance. I looked for it today at the department stores in my area (not Saks or Neiman-Marcus) but they all said they won't be carrying the $350 parfum due to the hefty price tag, though they will eventually carry the eau de parfum. I have quite a few pieces of silver and turquoise jewelry so I don't quite understand the $350 myself. Must be because it says "Ralph Lauren"? Does anyone know what the eau de parfum bottle looks like?

Yeah, I would like to know what the EdP bottle looks like, too. The parfum bottle is very very pretty, I hope the EdP's bottle is just as nice.

Notes sound interesting though. Will definitely sample.

~Silk

There is a scented strip in the september issue of Vanity Fair (US edition only).

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    There is a scented strip in the september issue of Vanity Fair (US edition only).
    I have the September issue but no Pure Turquoise scented strip. Hmm... I wonder if someone tore it out? Oh, man, that ticks me off!

I'll be looking for this at Bloomingdale's in NYC when I go in 2 weeks.

From the strip I rather like it. It's a "soft" spicy floral (this one has also patchouli, it's the ingredient of the season) but I'll have to sample it for real.

Ladylonestar

Cedric, where in the Vanity Fair is the scented strip? *It's just nowhere to be found in my issue. *(Jennifer Aniston is on the cover of the September issue I have.)

Oh! Sorry. It's in the october issue with Paris Hilton.

Ladylonestar

Thanks, Cedric!

Ladylonestar

From the strip I rather like it. It's a "soft" spicy floral (this one has also patchouli, it's the ingredient of the season) but I'll have to sample it for real.
    I got the October issue and I have to agree with you, Cedric. I rather like it, too. I'll also have to sample it on my skin but judging from the scented strip, they did a great job. I actually look forward to sampling this one since the WWD write-up says it's a floral chypre.

It smelled to me like a floral chypre. Seems that with City Glam for Her, l'Oreal (mother of Ralph Lauren and Armani Parfums) thinks chypre is the new trend.

This is another new fragrance that I'm really interested in. It sounds wonderful.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ladylonestar,

Pure Turquoise is now available at Neiman Marcus. Click on the link to see what the eau de parfum bottle looks like.
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...x=1&cmCat=

looks like it should be a men's fragrance from Stetson...disappointing.

Ladylonestar

Ladylonestar,

Pure Turquoise is now available at Neiman Marcus. Click on the link to see what the eau de parfum bottle looks like.
    Well, gosh, that's kind of a let-down, isn't it? I know it's what's inside that counts but I really wanted that pretty bottle. You know, if the parfum was priced at, say, $150 I would still have a hard time convincing myself to buy it although I just might do so. But $350 -- no way. I really don't get that price. [smiley=cry.gif] Thanks, Cedric.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Well, gosh, that's kind of a let-down, isn't it? *I know it's what's inside that counts but I really wanted that pretty bottle. *You know, if the parfum was priced at, say, $150 I would still have a hard time convincing myself to buy it although I just might do so. *But $350 -- no way.
    I totally agree! The parfum bottle is so pretty, and if it were about $150 I just might buy it just for that. I'd have to like the fragrance pretty well, but I wouldn't have to love it enough to justify the price...the prettiness would do that!

This EdP bottle looks...incomplete. The bottom looks quite nice, with it's faceted crystaline structure, but the top looks like it was sliced clean off! So metallic and flat and unappealing. *sigh* Definitely looks like something pretty was on top, but got broken off.

~Silk

There is no reason to charge $350 for that bottle except for brand positioning.

Less and less brands include perfume extracts in there line-up. Why does Chanel still makes perfume extracts? Because it's chic, makes the brand classy... not because they earn lots of money with it (on the contrary). Don't want to sound like a snob but only perfume addicts (like us) or a very rich people concider buying a perfume extract, most people don't even know what it is.
    Pure Turquoise is also targeting women that actually dress in Ralph Lauren Collection clothes (RLs most expensive label). Those women wouldn't have considered a Ralph Lauren perfume in the past, way too middle class for them. But with a more sophesticated chypre juice and (I know it's silly) more expensive price tag they might think differently. This is also why Pure Turqoise is introduced at very high end departement stores like Neiman Marcus.

Ofcourse Ralph Lauren and L'Oreal not only want the money of the very rich but even more money from "mere mortals". They too can get a part of Ralph Laurens world in the form of an eau de parfum.

I'll have to check that out! I'm looking for Ralph Lauren to do something special for a change.

Hi, new poster here. I'm not really a fragrance buff, but I'm a turquoise fan and this new scent piqued my interest.

Concerning the price of the bottle of parfum, $350 is pretty cheap. Not for perfume, but for a piece of turquoise that size and that quality, it's a steal. Consider the jewelery RL produces out of turquoise and then look at the whopper on that bottle.

Placing a large semi-precious, hand cut stone on a bottle of perfume is a first. The price for the juice is high, but not for the stone. A piece of jewelery that had that much turquoise in it would go for much more than $350. Note that it's also not Chinese stone. I can't tell where it's from, but it's probably American turquoise, which further increases the value.

Just thought I would add my two cents to give you an outsider perspective on value.

Fyi: there is a scent strip in November's Town & Country as well.
    From my brief sniff all I can say is; it smelled exactly like I thought it would! ;D
    I could be projecting here....but does anyone remember an old CSP scent, before THE GREAT RENAMING, that had the word "Turquiose" in it? Well that is what I thought this RL smelled like. I remember thinking, "I wonder why noses seem to think that turqoise smells like that"?
    Anyhoo, the bottle is cool and unique.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_times
    Hi...I'm a turquoise fan and this new scent piqued my interest.

Concerning the price of the bottle of parfum, $350 is pretty cheap. Not for perfume, but for a piece of turquoise that size and that quality, it's a steal...Note that it's also not Chinese stone. I can't tell where it's from, but it's probably American turquoise, which further increases the value.

Just thought I would add my two cents to give you an outsider perspective on value.
    First of all- greetings and warm welcome to Basenotes!

Interesting for certain. *I hadn't really thought about it (even though I love turquoise too) but assumed it was a fake chunk of stone just for looks. *I guess I skimmed over the press releases. *

I'm doubly interested because it's been my understanding that even turquoise pieces from the American Southwest are these days often "enhanced" or impregnated with plastics to improve color. *While it's an accepted practice in the gemological community (kind of like heating blue topaz to improve its color) a plasticized stone would and should be far less costly compared to one of the same size and color that is completely natural. *I have a hard time believing that the stones on the Ralph Lauren bottles aren’t treated in some way. *Not that they still aren't valuable, but would they really add THAT much to the cost of the parfum?

Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    [quote author=cedriceccentric link=1122015850/0#3 date=1126143261]...does anyone remember an old CSP scent, before THE GREAT RENAMING, that had the word "Turquiose" in it...
    Yes, totally. It was called simply "Turquoise" and was actually discontinued. A very interesting fragrance though and not at all like their usual sweet ones. This one was chypre based and smelled like a new-age shop- with loads of incense, patchouli and moss in the base. While it didn't dry down on my skin all that well, it was still a very good fragrance and one I think a lot of chypre fans would have appreciated.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

THIS NEW ONE SOUNDS FAB
    WHEN IS IT DUE IN THE UK
    HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT IT?

I'm doubly interested because it's been my understanding that even turquoise pieces from the American Southwest are these days often "enhanced" or impregnated with plastics to improve color. *While it's an accepted practice in the gemological community (kind of like heating blue topaz to improve its color) a plasticized stone would and should be far less costly compared to one of the same size and color that is completely natural. *I have a hard time believing that the stones on the Ralph Lauren bottles aren’t treated in some way. *Not that they still aren't valuable, but would they really add THAT much to the cost of the parfum?
    That's kind of accurate. Virtually all turquoise is treated in some way. Most is stabilized to increase the hardness or cutability of the stone. This is not a color enhancement though. Dye can be added, but stabilized stone doesn't necessarily equate dyed stone.

Natural turquoise is rare, mostly because it isn't practical. Turquoise is a very porous stone and absorbs oils from your skin or cosmetics. This will cause it to oxydize or discolor over time. Due to the fact that it's sitting on top of a perfume bottle, Ralph's turquoise has to be stabilized if he wants to keep the color he started with. I'm guessing here, but it's a logical jump.

Anyway, stabilized turquoise can be every bit as expensive as natural stone. In many cases it is prefered because it won't change over time. If that piece of stone comes from Arizona or Nevada, it's a bargain at $350.