Code of Conduct

Thread: Lilac perfume?

Default Lilac perfume?

Hi, does any one know of a perfume that has lilac notes? I'm looking for something that isn't over the top. Thank you.

Default Re: Lilac perfume?

try En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. it was composed by Olivia Giacobetti, who i feel always creates the most beautiful, natural scents.

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/mallesite_gb/index.htm

Difficult task , as lilac doesn't yield an essential oil.

However try the Pur desir des Lilas by Yves Rocher which is pretty close to the real thing.

Basenotes Institution

Alfred Sung Shi.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Serge Lutens' Un Lys is variously described as a lily and/or a creamy lilac. It's the closest thing I've found to the lilac scent. Do not waste your time with McClintock #3, it is dominated by lily-of-the-valley despite its intent to represent lilac.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I second Un Lys and Yves Rocher's Lilac.

Also check out Guerlinade which recreates a nice creamy lilac with a touch of vanilla.
    And for a fresh lilac try En Passant by Olivia Giacobetti for Frederic Malle.

MJH

I'd like to add a recommendation for Royal Bain de Champagne (aka Royal Bain de Caron), which has
    a subtle lilac note that's blended with and balanced by ambery and fruity notes. I love real lilacs, but I find
    most lilac soliflore perfumes unbearable, so I was surprised to see how well-situated the lilac was in Royal Bain.

Blog Entries

En Passant and Royal Bain get my votes, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I second the Yves Rocher recommendation. One I haven't tried is Sha by Alfred Sung. Check out the reviews on makeupalley.com.

Sha by Alfred Sung
    Persian Lilac by Attar Bazaar
    Devon Lilac
    Diptyque Lilas (a room spray, but when used sparingly, can be lovely)

This is a third thumbs up for Royal Bain.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Lagniappe Oaks Lilac & Lace.

http://lwebre.accountsupport.com/perfumeframe.htm

If you like lily of the valley, try also Lilia Bella (Aqua Allegoria): a beautiful spring scent full of lily of the valley and lilacs.

Val
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...

Found this thread and I have to bump it! I need to smell AA Angelique Lilas (and am going to look for a few others mentioned here!). There is only one review on BN for AA AL. I fantasize that it is like Apres L'Ondee with lilacs. Wishful thinking...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

En Passant would be my recommendation.

Guerlain Mitsouko

Quote Originally Posted by neroli99 View Post
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Really??

Anyway, almost three years later I come back to this thread to add that "Vacances" by Patou has a wonderful lilac note in there that is trully discernable (and not just for show! LOL) and that "Angelique Lilas" is not a bad representation.

Still, the perfect soliflore lilac hasn't been created yet IMHO. I am still searching.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Found this thread and I have to bump it! I need to smell AA Angelique Lilas (and am going to look for a few others mentioned here!). There is only one review on BN for AA AL. I fantasize that it is like Apres L'Ondee with lilacs. Wishful thinking...
    Tried AA AL today. It is VERY lilacy! No creamy, complex drydown, though. Nice, pure note, with a little woody/green thing goin' on, but it is mostly a soliflor.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Another vote for En Passant. It's a true beauty.

I get a lilac note in Vera Wang. But i don't know if it is officially listed.
    YR Pur Désir de Lilas is very close.
    Après l'Ondee by Guerlain.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Estee Lauder Pleasure
    It is such a mainstream scent but it is definitely a pronounced lilac and so easy to obtain with a reasonable price.
    Last edited by aquilaclaudia; 13th March 2008 at 10:14 AM.
    Current favorites:

Jicky, Mitsouko, Shiseido Susuro,Or et Noir

Dear Helg,
    I have Mitsouko EDP (18 year old bottle).
    It begins bergamot lilac and peach notes.
    Best Regards

The Rochester Lilac gardens in New York State have a Lilac perfume that was commissioned by them to be sold only by them and it is the best reproduction of the smell of lilacs that I know of. However, lilac soliflor is not desireable in my view. The scent is just a bit too intense and becomes tiring in a soliflor. The artifciality of the lilac becomes very apparent too. I do agree that Vacances is one of the best lilac-noted blends.
    Last edited by Hilda_Rosa; 13th March 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Alfred Sung Shi.
    First of all, please pardon my confusion; I'm new and ignorant. Thanks for your patience.

I like Alfred Sung and have heard good things about Shi, but nothing about it smelling like lilacs. And elsewhere in this thread someone mentioned Alfred Sung Sha... not familiar with this one. So which of them has lilac notes? Or is it both?

White Lilac by Ava Luxe!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Jardin Clos by Diptyque has White Lilac in the top notes but to
    me it is mainly the Hyacinth that stands out - very pleasant spring scent
    nonetheless.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by shanda-manda View Post
    First of all, please pardon my confusion; I'm new and ignorant. Thanks for your patience.

I like Alfred Sung and have heard good things about Shi, but nothing about it smelling like lilacs. And elsewhere in this thread someone mentioned Alfred Sung Sha... not familiar with this one. So which of them has lilac notes? Or is it both?
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123218.html

they are the Basenotes reviews of Sha.

I have to second Pleasures by Estee Lauder.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodgirl View Post
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123218.html

they are the Basenotes reviews of Sha.
    Thanks!

I got Shi on sale at Beyond the Rack yesterday. They've got a designer fragrance boutique going on, with lots of variety in the brands. I think it ends tomorrow.

If the Alfred Sung doesn't work for you, here's another rec for Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Lilas. It smells the most like real lilac to me. Caswell Massey also has a nice lilac but I like purple lilacs best and I preferred the YR. I found that both Shi and Sha had a "plastic" note on me.