Code of Conduct

Default Shalimar vs. Shalimar Light?

I've only smelled these briefly in a department store, which means I really haven't smelled them. I'd be interested in hearing your take on them. I bought Shalimar Light blind today at Marshall's at a nice price, thinking I'd either try it or swap it new. So now I'm trying to decide if I should even open it or just offer it for swap.

What do you think of these two fragrances? How do they differ? How are they the same?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shalimar vs. Shalimar Light?

I do not have both of these scents (at the moment). I adore Shalimar though and have heard many good things about the au legere (light) version.

I have heard that SL was created as a mirror image of Shalimar Classic with the emphasis been placed upon the citrussy top notes rather than the denser more intense powdery herbaceous vanilla base notes. So where Shalimar is very warm and creamy vanillary after a brief intense bergamot opening, Shalimar Light focuses and plays out the great citrussy start for most of the duration of the fragrance before settling to a clearer less oriental vanilla drydown.

I intend to get hold of a huge bottle of the Shalimar Light as it sounds a perfect way for me to be able to wear and enjoy the beauty of Shalimar all year round, especially in deepest summer when Shalimar can be come a bit cloying due to the oriental strength vanilla in the heat.

I do hope this has helped and I look forward to hearing what you think of the Shalimar Light! Enjoy!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I am very familiar with Shalimar and recently got Shalimar light at Marshall's as well. What others have said is true. Shalimar light is extremely lemony on the opening. It lasts a long time and is beautiful. Shalimar is beautiful too. Honestly I don't think Shalimar light feels less cloying than Shalimar. I don't mind cloying scents so I don't even see this as something people would be concerned about, but people always talk about how people who don't like how heavy Shalimar is should wear Shalimar light. Shalimar light is maybe a little too citrusey to be "heavy" but it certainly is powerful.

I actually think the basenote in Shalimar Light is more cloying than in the original. Simpler, sweeter and more musk/vanilla than Shalimars smoky opopanax/vanilla/amber basenotes. I much prefer Shalimar, even the EdT, but Light has a lot of fans.

I love and adore Shalimar ( parfum version only.. canīr wear neither the EdP nor the EdT ), and I think the Shalimar is everything that the Shalimar EdT was meant to be ( or what it should be meant to be ). It is very true to the Shalimar spirit, but with a twist.... a touch of brightness, lightheartedness ( is that a word? ) and humour.

After reading everyone's comments here and at POL, I decided to wear Shalimar Light today and see what I thought. And ... I like it! Quite a bit. I love the creamy lemon and how it never really disappears, even as the vanilla and oakmoss (?) surface. Hmm. I'm going to have to try to find the EDP or parfum of this one and of Shalimar, too, just to sniff.

Guess I'll be taking it off my swap list for now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    After reading everyone's comments here and at POL, I decided to wear Shalimar Light today and see what I thought. *And ... I like it! * *Quite a bit. *I love the creamy lemon and how it never really disappears...

Hey- glad you decided to try it. I bought it on whim at TJMAXX and am very happy I did. While I'm a big fan of Shalimar (it's been with me awhile) I'm rather impressed with the Light version and see them as completely different scents now.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!