Code of Conduct

Default I need to know what Mae West wore

OK it's odd, but I need to know what perfume(s) Mae West is known to have worn. Did she ever document a favorite? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I need to know what Mae West wore

Don't know what she wore but her curves inspired Femme bottle, she was a Rochas customer.

http://www.toutenparfum.com/historiq.../rochas.en.php
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

There is a MUA member called HELG who has compiled a list of celebrities and their frangrances on her notepad: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/helg/
    It says there that Ms West's fragrance was Shocking.

Ladylonestar

I have no idea but I imagine her in Youth Dew and lots of it. I can imagine her in it because I had an aunt who was very Mae West-esque -- she's the one who gave me my first bottle of Youth Dew. I had such a parade of aunts through my life. Mercy, it was fabulous! Anyway, my Mae Westesque aunt didn't have the blonde hair but she had the figure and mannerisms of Mae West (she talked the talk and walked the walk) and she wore lots of Youth Dew, so that's why I can easily imagine that Mae West could have worn it. I can also imagine that she would have worn something sexy like Le No 9 Cadolle -- the perfumiest perfume in all of perfume land -- and maybe Joy, or if not Joy then Agent Provocateur or Fifi Chachnil. I can also imagine her in Jicky, Aphrodisia, Cabochard and Le Dix. Of course, like I said, I have no idea. This is just my vivid imagination running wild. [smiley=happy.gif]

I have also read that she wore Shocking.

Ladylonestar

Well, I'm a little bit curious, Spirit -- how come you need to know what Mae West wore? [smiley=wink.gif]

Yes, I'd like to know that too... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

[smiley=cool.gif]I'll never tell [smiley=cool.gif]

OK, OK, stop twisting my arm! SHEESH you ladies can be rough! Some good friends of mine (a couple) have moved from Europe to Hollywood recently and are living in the art-deco 'Ravenswood' apartment building that Mae owned and lived in for a good many years. I thought it would make a cool housewarming gift, along with a nice bottle of champagne and a hasty exit on my part. And should they use this to channel Maes' spirit into the modern world, well bravo for them right? [smiley=cool.gif]

Ladylonestar

Well, you are just THE most thoughtful friend in the world! Why don't you come up sometime and see me? ... Come on up, I'll tell your fortune. [smiley=laugh.gif]

You are certainly most welcome in Denmark too! [smiley=laugh.gif]

That's a great idea! (the Mae West one, I mean). If your friends are not advanced perfume nuts, i think I'd give them a bottle of the new Shocking. It's animalic and sexy with floral finish, and I like it a lot. I have never smelled the original, but I can imagine MW in the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by dorthea
    If your friends are not advanced perfume nuts, i think I'd give them a bottle of the new Shocking.
    OK, but how does the older stuff smell? I am SO tempted by this bottle...I mean how cool is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6544653185

...And thanks for the nice words, ladies [smiley=kiss.gif]

Ladylonestar

That is, indeed, a very cool bottle, Spiritcvc.

Yes, the bottle is great! I think Mando has smelled (or perhaps even own) the original. As far as I remember, he was very enthusiastic about it and wrote that the new version paled by comparison. As far as I remember, I said... [smiley=happy.gif]

I have to resurrect this old thread!

It amazes me how sometimes it takes forever to get around to the fun things in life...I found Shocking in the L.A. fashion district shortly after we had this chat and I've been carrying it with me on my trips to California, waiting for the chance to give it to my friends, ever since.

Anyway it was just last night that I finally got to visit my friends in their apartment and give them my well-traveled bottle of Shocking. We were meeting there for a quick glass of wine before going off to dinner at a common friends' house. We were all dressed very casually.

I asked them if they knew who Mae West was and if they had done any investigations into her life and her time living in this building. They were aware of her of course but I gave them more info about her: that she was perhaps the first sexpot of the modern age, the first Pamela Anderson if you will, and that she was an outspoken advocate of human sexuality and sexual freedom. Basically I painted her as one sexy beast.

Most importantly they were missing the big piece of the puzzle - that she had passed away somewhere HERE in the top floor suite of the Ravenswood building - the very place where we were sitting and having this discussion! They thought this fascinating and we discussed the possibility that her spirit remained here to this day. I then gave Claudia the bag and she opened it up with a real mixture of puzzlement and excitement - she held up the Shocking box for Mike to see as I told them that this was the perfume that Mae wore - and they FREAKED OUT, they were like Oh my God that's amazing I can't believe you did this.

Claudia immediately opened it and gave it a try on her wrist and I'm telling you Mae entered the room right then and there - we were all struck by this rich decadent sexy come-hither smell that had just been unleashed. We all kept sniffing her wrist again and again and she said "I wish I had this earlier I would have worn it instead of what I have on now"...then she said "Oh forget about it I'll just cover it up" and began spraying with abandon! The room was as rich as an opium den and it was fantastic. We all just could not believe how good this stuff smelled and suddenly Claudia jumps up and announces she is underdressed and goes off to change into something sexier! Moments later she's back in something a lot tighter, blacker, low cut, and pointy shoed. And she was beaming. (She's a lovely woman and can doll it up with the best of them.)

So off we went to this dinner, where everyone was complimenting Claudia on how great she looked and the other ladies were perhaps feeling a bit outdone and she turns to me and tells everyone that I was the inspiration for this and why don't I tell my story and I got to do it all again but this time for the larger group. Claudia had to go around the circle time and time again as everyone sniffed her wrists and marveled. What a great evening.

So that's what it's like when you get to watch Mae West channel through someone.

I got that bottle for about 20 bucks IIRC - best money I've spent in a long time. It was a complete bulls-eye as gifts go. I feel great for having done it. And my friends think I'm the coolest American ever. You now may return to your regularly scheduled activities ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Spirit, this is one of the most newsworthy threads ever! Wow, I love hearing stories like this. Mae is one of my biggest idols. I've never tried Shocking (as a perfume) but sure relished it as an activity in my earlier days
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I love the men in my life...

And the life in my men.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

When I'm good, I'm very good.

When I'm bad, I'm better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[smiley=grin.gif]
    Come up and smell me sometime...
    Lovely, lovely story. Thank you.

Wow... I loved your experience. Thanks so much for sharing it - it's almost like we got to be part of it.
    According to a book 'Power vs Force' by Dr. David Hawkins, nothing that has ever happened, been created or thought, ever dies, but goes into the giant human energy collective called the collective conscious by Jung, and at that point is available to all. It's an extremely bold premise, but the longer I live the more I believe it. Your story shows the beauty of such a possibility.

From a 1930s issue of Radioland ..."Now you can use the identical scent which Mme. Gabilla of Paris blended for Mae West - loaded with - lure - dripping with sex appeal. There’s intrigue in every drop. It’s charged with that “come up n’ see me sometime” personality. This isn’t merely an endorsement, it is Mae West’s actual perfume, Be the first in your crowd to use Parfum Mae West - exquisite bottles at 65c - $1.00 to $25.00. If your favorite store cannot supply you with Parfum Mae West, you can order from us direct using the convenient coupon and enclosing 65 cents in stamps for the dram size - $1.00 for the ¼ oz size. As a special introductory offer we are sending you six intimate photographs of Mae West with your order. Parfums Wesmay, Inc. 19 West 18th Street, NYC. This is not merely an endorsement - this is the personal perfume of Maw West.”
    Perfumes are the souls of flowers...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread to resurrect. Love this story! I just might need a bottle of Shocking now. Too bad it's no longer " $1.00 for the ¼ oz size!"