Code of Conduct

Default 1876 Histoires de Parfums

An attempt to review..... Please do not laugh at me very hard....

I searched here and could not find any old topics discussing the fragrances from this company, so I am starting a new one....

Last week a received a few packages from the lovely ladies here on Basenotes. One of them contained a generous sample of Histoires de Parfums 1876, the fragrance so lush and comforting, that I will be looking for a bottle to buy. Here in the BN directory it is qualified as suitable for men and women. I politely desagree... In general, the reviews of the company's fragrances are not abundant, so I had to do the research....

From the Histoires de Parfums press-release:
    An exotic, Oriental affair....
    Mysterious contradictions culminate in this enticing, alluring scent, making 1876 a powerful weapon in the war of seduction. Immediately intriguing, this eau de perfume is built upon a woman's natural capacity to captivate. 1876 is the embodiment of mysterious romance for the true Femme Fatale.
    Top notes: French cassis, peach and a hint of black pepper combined with ivy.
    Heart notes: Moroccan rose, broom, indian jasmine and ylang-ylang.
    Bottom notes: Sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and musk.

And the year 1876 was chosen to commemorate the birth of Margaretha Geertruida Zelle, who later became the Javanese princess, courtesan and spy Mata Hari.

To me, it is a high quality, well-combined every day scent. Without a single irritating note! I am not a Femme Fatale, have never been, but I find the smell interesting and comforting, Nu EDT meets Neblina, without the insense of Nu and the rancid sour milk note of Neblina.

There is certain tropical greenness upon the opening, something like bergamot flower buds would produce with a subtle touch of vanilla. Perhaps, it is cassis, ivy and violet leaf (not in the notes!) make it airier and more elegant. I did not get much of peach, it is more like apricot blossom, I guess, and it is still green and sweet and classy. Rose is fruity and in full bloom, but it is also not red, rather, a very pretty shade of peachy coral, and in combination with jasmin, ylang-ylang and some other white flower, whose name I cannot remember, is purely divine. They are blended so well, that I would keep smelling myself all day long! (I am familiar with vanilla and rose in Tocade, but here they sound in such a unison!)

The drydown is herbal, vanillic, woody and mossy, with just a hint of patchouli (they will make you like them, if you consider yourself a patchouli-hater! ), and just another delicate breath of musk. And I do not like musk anything! Nothing is piercing, or overboard, and it lasts and lasts and lasts.... If I did not see the notes, I would say it is a a floral chypre with a good measure of vanilla bean added in for the final result.

One cannot buy from Four Seasons website anymore, they are out of stock, but I consider it a good investment $90 for 4.2 oz.

Ladylonestar

Default Re: 1876 Histoires de Parfums

Fabulous and most enjoyable review, Timberwolf! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I believe, in fact, this is the first review I've read of any of this line of fragrances. I REALLY want to try these. They fascinate me. Plus, I'd like to see how their George Sand compares to the MPG George Sand.

Now... where to purchase -- bottles or samples?

Great review, thank you!!
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

It sounds so fascinating... I looked on ebay, and there's a partial bottle of edp for sale. The bottle's kind of neat too - definitely a unisex container. I'm still trying to decide whether to *sample* first ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1876-Eau-De-Parf...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Timberwolf!