Code of Conduct

Default Amber Nude print ad (+launch at Saks).

From WWD.

Tom Ford Gets Steamy for Estee Lauder
    By Pete Born

NEW YORK — For the upcoming advertising campaign backing his update of the Estée Lauder Cos.' Youth Dew, Tom Ford has gotten naked again — sort of.

The print ad, photographed by Craig McDean and closely art directed by Ford, shows Lauder's regular model, Carolyn Murphy, slumbering nearly nude on a couch, with a sheet covering strategic body parts.

The ad is designed to promote Amber Nude, a new interpretive fragrance that updates Estée Lauder's groundbreaking scent Youth Dew, which had caused a sensation in 1953. It wasn't just the fact that Lauder had offered a bath oil that was as sensual and powerful as a perfume so that women could buy it themselves, then a new idea. There also was the eye-opening advertising image. Shot through a frosted glass shower door, it showed a naked woman toweling herself off after taking a bath.

Ford, interviewed by telephone from London Thursday, laughed as he anticipated the reaction to his latest work. "They'll say, ‘Oh God, it's Tom Ford taking the clothes off another person and stretching her out.'" He pointed out, however, that Estée Lauder's 1953 bombshell was more controversial in its time, although he did admit, "I like naked women, and I like naked men as well."

The new ad, pictured here, provides the first look at the hotly anticipated image, which will appear in the December editions of a handful of magazines. While Lauder executives would not discuss budgets, industry sources estimate that the global advertising spend, including scented strips, could hit $12 million, with $8 million in the U.S.

The ad campaign will support the fragrance launch; that launch will be accompanied by a 13-item line of luxury-priced cosmetics encased in heavy gold metal packaging. Branded under the Tom Ford Estée Lauder name, products will make their debut in November in only 100 doors, mostly specialty stores. The makeup items will be produced in small numbers of a limited edition, while the Amber Nude fragrance will continue on as a flanker to Youth Dew. In December, 125 doors will be added to the fragrance distribution, then another 775 doors will be added in the early part of 2006. Most of these will be in North America, although key doors will be added overseas. It is estimated that North American distribution will ultimately hit 1,000 doors.

Discussing his vision for the campaign, Ford said the shoot originally had been done three ways. Murphy had been posed on fake fur, mindful of the controversy surrounding animal testing. Another session had her completely naked. "She was hiding her breasts," Ford explained. "It was a fairly modest nude shot."

The third version with the sheet was the ultimate winner because with the folds of fabric silhouetting the curves of her body, "she looks more sensual. It's really beautiful," Ford said.

His concept was to portray the steamier, more intimate side of Lauder. "I wanted to show a different side of the Lauder woman," Ford said, " a more sensuous side, a more evening side."

The golden color palette of the photo was not only a reference to the amber in the name, but also the ingredients. Ford noted that Youth Dew incorporates the gourmand strain of perfumery with its vanilla notes. Amber Nude instead contains chocolate, and Ford said his aim was to make Murphy look "like a beautiful piece of candy. I wanted to make her look so delicious that you'd want to bite into her."

John Demsey, global president of the Estée Lauder brand and MAC Cosmetics, called the campaign "quintessential Tom Ford, and quintessential Estée Lauder." Referring to the handling of Murphy, Demsey said, "[Ford] felt it was important to convey a different vocabulary with somebody already within the brand. He thought it was important because he is making a heritage play." His intent was to show how "fresh and modern" the 52-year-old brand could be.

Demsey agreed with the choice of images, saying that rather than showing Murphy "literally naked for shock value, Tom decided that this image is more sensual and evocative."

Demsey maintains this is the first time that a prestige cosmetics and fragrance launch will have such a global reach. The advertising effort will move in two stages, beginning with a debut in the December editions of Vogue, Vanity Fair, W and Interview. The broader second stage will start in the early spring with an enlarged roster of magazines. The advertising in Vogue, displayed on a gatefold or spread, will appear simultaneously in all the key overseas launch markets in an unusually international effort.

Stroll down for more info about Amber Nude's recent launch at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Default Re: Amber Nude steamy print ad.

I'm looking forward to this.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I can't wait to try this! That photo is beautiful, not THAT steamy, IMO.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Ladylonestar

I agree that photo is beautiful but it does absolutely nothing for me. They sure are making a big deal of that advertisement. All I need to see is the bottle of perfume and the words &quot;Youth Dew Amber Nude&quot;! I wouldn't even care if they showed a rusty can with the name &quot;Youth Dew Amber Nude&quot; on it. I want the fragrance!

Though I definitely want to try the scent, I must say that IMO the ad is nothing but a sad rip-off of J'Adore ad (the one with Charlize Theron) and that one wasn't so good to begin with so why bother to copy it? :-?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Though I definitely want to try the scent, I must say that IMO the ad is nothing but a sad rip-off of J'Adore ad (the one with Charlize Theron) and that one wasn't so good to begin with so why bother to copy it? *:-?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

WWD used the word &quot;steamy&quot; that's why I used it in the title of this topic. I Like the ambery colors of the ad, but otherwise it's rather conventional. They should have showed more of the surroundings arround the model, just the way they did in older Estee Lauder print ads.

Like this Cinnabar ad. Cinnabar (or Light Youth Dew), the Amber Nude of the late 70s...

The ad says to me: &quot;Look at me, I'm a rich bitch from Palm Beach.&quot; And I think that I just need that perfume so I can have the same lifestyle. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    WWD used the word &quot;steamy&quot; that's why I used it in the title of this topic. I Like the ambery colors of the ad, but otherwise it's rather conventional. They should have showed more of the surroundings arround the model, just the way they did in older Estee Lauder print ads.

Like this Cinnabar ad. Cinnabar (or Light Youth Dew), the Amber Nude of the late 70s...
    The ad says to me: &quot;Look at me, I'm a rich bitch from Palm Beach.&quot; And I think that I just need that perfume so I can have the same lifestyle. LOL
    Good one, Cedric! ;D ;D ;D

Yes, that's the true Lauder style.

I'm looking forward to trying this one too. I'm really in an amber mode lately.

[quote author=tigrushka link=1128063271/0#4 date=1128143699]Though I definitely want to try the scent, I must say that IMO the ad is nothing but a sad rip-off of J'Adore ad (the one with Charlize Theron) and that one wasn't so good to begin with so why bother to copy it? *:-?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

The ad says to me: &quot;Look at me, I'm a rich bitch from Palm Beach.&quot; And I think that I just need that perfume so I can have the same lifestyle. LOL[/quote]

Wasn't Cinnabar initially called Youth Dew Soft? Please correct me if I'm wrong. [smiley=undecided.gif]

You are right. The first bottles even came out of the factory with the name Soft Youth Dew printed on them, Ms Estee Lauder had them covered with a Cinnabar sticker in time for the official launch.

You are right. The first bottles even came out of the factory with the name Soft Youth Dew printed on them, Ms Estee Lauder had them covered with a Cinnabar sticker in time for the official launch.
    Thanks! *files away as useful trivia*

I'm really looking forward to the Amber Nude version.

I have yet to find &quot;my&quot; Estee Lauder fragrance. Had high hopes for Cinnabar and Youth Dew, but sadly they are both kind of stinky on me.

Must also echo Tig's thoughts about the ad resembling J'Adore's with Charlize Theron under sheets. If they really wanted to get &quot;steamy&quot; and get people used to the idea of chocolate in the scent, why didn't they float the model naked in a vat of chocolate and have some guy leaning over her, looking like he's going to lick the chocolate off her body? (How about her rock-star boyfriend Brandon Boyd?) (Tom Ford ain't got nothing over my ideas!)

Of course I will try Amber Nude, but I guess I can't get truly excited over a fragrance until it hits my skin and is absolutely gorgeous from beginning to final dryout. However, if that does happen then just try and keep me away from it!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    If they really wanted to get &quot;steamy&quot; and get people used to the idea of chocolate in the scent, why didn't they float the model naked in a vat of chocolate and have some guy leaning over her, looking like he's going to lick the chocolate off her body? (How about her rock-star boyfriend Brandon Boyd?) (Tom Ford ain't got nothing over my ideas!)
    ;D ;D ;D

Good one, Key! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

These Ma Griffe ads are the steamiest ones I know:

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    These Ma Griffe ads are the steamiest ones I know:

Those are good. The one on the right also catches a bit of the hot romance aspect.

I also always liked the ad for Metal. Unfortunately I don't have it to share. It had a woman, with bronzed skin, sitting nude on the floor and strategically covering her privates. On her body was this lovely but very simple jewelry. The caption read something like: &quot;Portrait of a Woman Wearing Metal.&quot; It wasn't steamy but it was striking and memorable because it was so beautifully and simply done.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Default Re: Amber Nude print ad (+launch at Saks).

From WWD.

Ford, Lauder Light Up Saks
    NEW YORK — Saks Fifth Avenue and Estée Lauder took Tom Ford out for a spin Thursday night — with record-breaking results.

More than 1,000 consumers packed into Saks Fifth Avenue's Manhattan flagship to meet the designer and see his new Tom Ford Estée Lauder Amber Nude collection. Ford, who signed a beauty deal with the Lauder brand in April, was said to have broken the store's existing attendance records for a personal appearance with his event. Sources estimated more than $30,000 worth of the collection was sold during the event.

&quot;I love meeting consumers — it's great to see their enthusiasm,&quot; Ford said after finishing the signing. The line eventually had to be cut off, as Saks sold out of four of the 13 limited-edition products — the eye gloss, face gloss, bronzer and lip polish (Lauder execs promised to hand-deliver more in time for weekend selling). &quot;I've heard of things that go in and out, but this collection really did,&quot; added Thia Breen, president, Americas, for Estée Lauder.

Quipped John Demsey, global president for the Estée Lauder and MAC Cosmetics brands, a few minutes later: &quot;Thia's in the back with her calculator now.&quot;

The first collection, a reinterpretation of Lauder's original gold fluted cosmetics and gold packaging, included a fragrance, Youth Dew Amber Nude and color cosmetics. One of the hottest items, however, was a $550 gold minaudière with lip polish and face powder, toted Thursday night by Evelyn Lauder, Aerin Lauder, Carolyn Murphy and Maggie Rizer, among others.

And Ford is not resting on his laurels: He is now putting the finishing touches on Azurée, his spring collection for the Estée Lauder brand, which is his play on Lauder's iconic &quot;Estée blue&quot; packaging. He also plans to be finished with the first installment of his freestanding Tom Ford collection by Christmas; the whole collection is due in early fall 2006.
    — Julie Naughton