Code of Conduct

Default How to classify new favorites?

Since starting to read this group (and POL), I've been introduced to so many wonderful fragrances. Probably it's the time of year, but I've really gravitated to these:

-- Blu Notte (just bought an entire bottle)
    -- Mitsouko (ditto)
    -- New Haarlem (wow! got a decant, but now want a whole bottle)
    -- Fresh Index Patchouli Pure (patchouli sure has come a long way from its headshop days)

Do these fit into a particular genre of perfume? I smell a lot of woods in them, but other than that, I don't know how to classify them. (I understand Mitsouko is a chypre, but what are the others?) Thoughts?

Default Re: How to classify new favorites?

Bulgari Blu Notte is hard to categorize - some see it as fresh, some as a spicy floral.
    New Haarlem - Gourmand!
    Patchouli Pure - Chypre Woody

I do like the Patchouli Pure - way removed from the old skanky Patchouli. I haven't tried New Haarlem, but would like to - I haven't tried any of that line yet. Unfortunately, there's a note in Blu Notte that's not for me!

-Kathy-

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    -- New Haarlem (wow! got a decant, but now want a whole bottle)
    I can relate to that experience (and the ensuing $ticker $hock). Once in a while, I find New Haarlem just a tiny bit bitter (do you?), and so I've ordered a sample of CSP's Vanille Mokha to see if layering the two in some proportion adds a hint of femininity. I'm swooning just imagining it.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    [quote author=Twitchly link=1130612260/0#0 date=1130612260]-- New Haarlem (wow! got a decant, but now want a whole bottle)
    I can relate to that experience (and the ensuing $ticker $hock). Once in a while, I find New Haarlem just a tiny bit bitter (do you?), and so I've ordered a sample of CSP's Vanille Mokha to see if layering the two in some proportion adds a hint of femininity. I'm swooning just imagining it.[/quote]

Oooh, let me know how that turns out. I do detect some bitterness in New Haarlem, but I like it. It's a nice contrast to the sweeter notes. I have some vanilla oil from l'Occitane that I find helps a few perfumes along sometimes; I like what it did to DKNY's Be Delicious. (But I want to sell my bottle just the same.)

Kathy, thanks for the categories. "Chypre woody" makes a lot of sense for the Patchouli Pure. I'm really drawn to woods right now. And gourmands. (I just invested in CK Euphoria gel perfume yesterday at the duty free shop.) Must be the season.

Twitchly: What happened regarding gel perfumes post? Sounds interesting. More of a 'time-release capsule'-type effect would increase longevity? I have the scientists in my top secret laboratory working overtime on that very same problem as we speak.

Just kidding. I don't have a top secret lab. Everybody knows about it. How else would the scientists find their way to work? And I'm really sure I'd pay overtime...

Confused about scent categorization? Me, too. That's why I let the Einsteins at Haarmann and Reimer do the hard work and consult the handy-dandy Genealogy of Fragrances.* *

http://www.leffingwell.com/h%26rfrag...ie_feminin.pdf

http://www.leffingwell.com/h%26rfrag...e_masculin.pdf imer *

Hope your scents are listed!

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Twitchly: What happened regarding gel perfumes post? Sounds interesting. More of a 'time-release capsule'-type effect would increase longevity? I have the scientists in my top secret laboratory working overtime on that very same problem as we speak.
    Excellent! I hope you win the Nobel. :-)

I did buy the Euphoria gel, and I like it quite a bit. You can put on just a tiny amount (which is all I want with that rather LARGE fragrance), and yet it lasts well on my dry skin. I'm going to scout around for other gels, solids, and oils. Let me know what you find out as well ... and, of course, how those girls in the lab are doing.

Thanks also for the links! Most exciting! I'll check them out toute suite.