Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Layering with New Haarlem

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    [quote author=Quarry link=1130612260/0#2 date=1130781387][quote author=Twitchly link=1130612260/0#0 date=1130612260]-- New Haarlem (wow! got a decant, but now want a whole bottle)
    I can relate to that experience (and the ensuing $ticker $hock). Once in a while, I find New Haarlem just a tiny bit bitter (do you?), and so I've ordered a sample of CSP's Vanille Mokha to see if layering the two in some proportion adds a hint of femininity. I'm swooning just imagining it.[/quote]

Oooh, let me know how that turns out. *I do detect some bitterness in New Haarlem, but I like it. *It's a nice contrast to the sweeter notes. *I have some vanilla oil from l'Occitane that I find helps a few perfumes along sometimes; I like what it did to DKNY's Be Delicious.[/quote]

Silly me, thinking I could improve upon Bond No. 9's New Haarlem by layering it with anything. I received Comptoir Sud Pacifica's Vanille Mokha sample, which is okay in its own right, but neither by itself nor in conjunction with New Haarlem am I better served than by NH alone. I love NH's bitter top notes, but later in the drydown, it loses one of those delicious elements it started with. Doesn't matter. It's still outstanding for these cooler days.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Layering with New Haarlem

i think bond recommends layering it with little italy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sark View Post
    i think bond recommends layering it with little italy . . .
    Interesting, I'll give it a shot and try H.O.T. Always as well.

To sweeten the drydown, Montale Absolute Vanillle, Tocade, and maybe Hypnotic Poison are worth experimenting.

I wore New Haarlem today, and the only possible layer involved was coconutty shampoo...and I was rather aggressively sniffed first thing this morning at work. This doesn't seem to be missing anything, unless there's a way to get it never to dry down!