Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Layering with New Haarlem

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    [quote author=Quarry link=1130612260/0#2 date=1130781387][quote author=Twitchly link=1130612260/0#0 date=1130612260]-- New Haarlem (wow! got a decant, but now want a whole bottle)
    I can relate to that experience (and the ensuing $ticker $hock). Once in a while, I find New Haarlem just a tiny bit bitter (do you?), and so I've ordered a sample of CSP's Vanille Mokha to see if layering the two in some proportion adds a hint of femininity. I'm swooning just imagining it.[/quote]

Oooh, let me know how that turns out. *I do detect some bitterness in New Haarlem, but I like it. *It's a nice contrast to the sweeter notes. *I have some vanilla oil from l'Occitane that I find helps a few perfumes along sometimes; I like what it did to DKNY's Be Delicious.[/quote]

Silly me, thinking I could improve upon Bond No. 9's New Haarlem by layering it with anything. I received Comptoir Sud Pacifica's Vanille Mokha sample, which is okay in its own right, but neither by itself nor in conjunction with New Haarlem am I better served than by NH alone. I love NH's bitter top notes, but later in the drydown, it loses one of those delicious elements it started with. Doesn't matter. It's still outstanding for these cooler days.
    SEE IT NOW: BASENOTES DENVER MEETUP, THE MOVIE -- click here
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Default Re: Layering with New Haarlem

i think bond recommends layering it with little italy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sark View Post
    i think bond recommends layering it with little italy . . .
    Interesting, I'll give it a shot and try H.O.T. Always as well.

To sweeten the drydown, Montale Absolute Vanillle, Tocade, and maybe Hypnotic Poison are worth experimenting.

I wore New Haarlem today, and the only possible layer involved was coconutty shampoo...and I was rather aggressively sniffed first thing this morning at work. This doesn't seem to be missing anything, unless there's a way to get it never to dry down!