Code of Conduct

Thread: Ormonde Jayne

Default Ormonde Jayne

I have to admit, I've always been a bit of a perfume snob and believed that the best perfumes are always French. (With the exception of Nanadebary - but i believe even that is made in France.) that was until I took a trip to Ormonde Jayne last Friday. I was absolutely determined not to buy anything. I'd gone shopping for boots and a jacket. But seeing I was in town anyway, I thought I'd just pop in.

I'm now the proud owner of a bottle each of Ormonde Woman and Frangipani. What else is a credit card for? I have to admit, the Woman's my personal favourite, but hubby loved the Frangipani. I don't think many modern scents can really be called unique - but Woman most certainly is. In the literature they describe it as dusky and seductive. The dominant note is apparently black hemlock, which would perhaps explain why it is so difficult to place. It is dark, deep, exotic but so feminine - what a witch would wear to seduce any man she liked. Absolutely hypnotic.

Frangipani should be a light fragrance, but isn't at all. It is fresh, heady, soft and deep all at the same time. It does have a tropical feel - but a lush, wet, earthy tropical feel, rather than a fruity, watery, suntan lotion one. And it lasts!

So, for the first time, I am converted away from all things French. The only problem is, I'm desperate now to try out the rest of the range. Even though I singled out these two frags. in the store, I'm now wondering if I didn't miss something in the others. All you basenoters out there must, must, must try these wonderful fragrances though!!

Default Re: Ormonde Jayne

Thanks for the beautiful descriptions! And many more.... ;D

Thanks for the OJ story!

I have only Ormonde (so far...) When I had received the sample pack and tried all five (in the beginning there were only five scents) Frangipani Absolute was hands down hub's favourite. When I phoned Linda to order Ormonde she said that's what always happens: men fall for Frangipani Absolute and choose it for their women...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I own Ormonde and Tolu.
    Just received my new catalogue last week. I suggest you buy a sampler kit that way you get to try them all.
    DONNA

ooh I would love to see the shop! I bought Champaca and Frangipane as New Job presents, I keep the Champaca for work as it is wonderfully low-pitched and makes me feel very confident. Frangipane is delicious, it's the only scent I can tolerate in really hot or muggy weather but I think it works all year round. I couldn't get to like Ormonde on me, but frequently sniff my Tolu and Ta'if samples. Like Donna said, it's definitely worth getting the set, the samples are quite generous.

These are, indeed, gorgeously crafted creations! My favorite of the lot was Ormonde for Men, but there is something to be said for each one of the perfumes. Just a beautiful and imaginative line.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Ladylonestar

Here's one of several discussions you may find interesting:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1110436756/0#0

Yes, do get the sampler. So much better to test at home and they are generously sized. *I own 4; Sampaquita, Osmanthus, Frangipani and Tolu. *There is a lovely watery quality to the first three that is just breath taking. *And the dry down, well hers are amoung the best I've ever tried. *But the Tolu has won my heart with it's powder soft amber. *

Thanks for the posts! I'm going to have to order the sampler now. The thing that's so very difficult to explain to my husband is why buying new scents - two of them, on this occasion - creates the urge to buy even more.

Annoyingly, since I purchased Ormonde and Frangipani I've had a terrible cold. Such was my desire to enjoy them, I think I nearly blew off everyone's head with ormonde yesterday. I know I overdid it when a friend asked if I was wearing the rest of the bottle the next day. Too much of a good thing is sometimes just too much, I think.

I wasn't bowled over OJs in general. Haven't tried Ormonde mind you.
    But out of the others , the only one I really liked was Tolu and second place went to Frangipanni.
    Champaka was a total hit and miss. Hated the rice note.

this thread just made me order the sample package ;D

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    this thread just made me order the sample package ;D
    I should finally dig out mine and finally test the "new" ones. :-[

Tigs.. what an excellent idea.. we might be able to do a" bit bottle-splitting" again on these

Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    Tigs.. what an excellent idea.. we might be able to do a" bit bottle-splitting" again on these
    I could be tempted... : But must take a couple of good, careful sniffs first! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I could be tempted... *: But must take a couple of good, careful sniffs first! *;D
    first testing in progress. Sampaquita and Ormonde.
    Ormonde is incredible.. I get spices in the top-notes.. after a few minutes I could have sworn that I got chocolate....and now... the drydown, I get an unmistakely powdery violet, but I get the woods and amber too.. and a very special note.. must be the hemlock...
    I love it....

i can´t really tell what I think of the Sampaquita, because my nose are glued to the Ormonde ;D.. woaw.... :-* :-* :-*

Hi Baenoters!

I have been away for a long long time (due to computer breakdown and me moving and so on), and am happy to be back!
    AND to see all the wonderful additions to the site that Grant and all the other moderators have been working so hard on and planning for so long - this forum is now an addiction on its own rights (including finding some of my own perfume photos up finally!).

Back to Ormonde Jayne, I fell in love with Ta'if right away, as soon as I smelled it in Linda's beautiful store in Londond last winter.
    I ordered all the samples just to be sure (taming down the addict's impulses...) and Ta'if remained my favourite, so I had to buy it as soon as the sample run out... Couldn't live without it!
    My following favourites are the magical Ormond (to me it's a dark forest violet scent - and spiked by cardamom and pepper it's truly original! Love the vanilla drenched dry down too).
    I love the unique Campaca with the basmati rice note which is an interesting comfort-gourmand scent (however I find it a bit overpowering) and also Frangipanni Absolute (but it's too floral and light and pretty for me - I am more on the dark side

Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Does anyone have the parfum versions of these scents? The ones I sampled was the EdP, I would love to know the difference between the parfums and the EdP´s in this line

Lille_My, I have the edp versions, however my OJ catalogue says that the EDP spray is 25% parfum wheras the parfum is 30% parfum. Just 5% difference, but I don't know what the difference would be in smell.