Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Y VS Givenchy III

Hi I am new to the board and a total Chypre lover, with Orientals running a close second. I currently own and love Cabochard (Gres), Halston Original (Halston), Givenchy III among others.

I have many chypres all of which I love and am wondering whether I should bother getting any others when I am beginning to find similarities between many of them.

For example: I received a sample of FM Noir Epices and found that I do love it but it is very similar to Givenchy III (Just a bit smokier & sharper spice) so maybe not full bottle worthy. :-/

I also smelt Niki de Saint Phalle recently and found it to be very similar to Halston Original for women but without the delicious unique, 'fresh' water mint top note.

Anyway, I want to try / buy Y by YSL which is quite expensive and hard to source. I would not mind but I don't want to end up with another close 'smell alike'. So does Y (YSL) smell similar to Givenchy III or any other Chypre ?? Or is it worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Y VS Givenchy III

Hi and welcome!

Yes, I think Y is worth the trouble. It's a very wonderful allround fragrance - for day and night, summer and winter. The only chypre it comes close to (to my nose) is Miss Dior, if you'd imagine a less floral version of that. Y is a green, very mossy and VERY civet based scent, but still it's surprisingly fresh. I would say definitely more green and less sweet than Niki de Saint Phalle, less citrusy (and with less galbanum) than Givenchy lll. I don't think, you'll regret it.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the swift response! ;D

Are there any other Chypre Fragrances you would recommend? I must admit I am seeking a very green, mossy Chypre for those elusive, professional 'don't mess with me' days...

I have Ma Griffe (Carven) and love the schitso citrus opening but it drys down to soft and powdery for the image I am seeking to project.

I have Paloma Picasso parfum coming to me soon. I used to wear it, absolutely love the dry down but was frequently told it smelt too 'old' for me (I'm in my early 30's)!! It is quite a difficult fragrance to wear but the drydown was worth it.

I also have Aromatics Elixir but find that, like Mystere (Rochas) and La Perla (La Perla) there is an 'ozonic' note in the top and mid notes which burns my nostrils and annoys me whenever I smell it. It doesn't smell like me... if you get what I mean...

So now I am seeking a deep, green, moss Chypre scent with the presence of and attitude of Paloma Picasso but a decade or two younger....do you have any ideas?

Thank you again for your time and input ...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

A decade or two YOUNGER than Paloma Picasso? No, I'm sorry, not really. I think chypres went out of fashion in the early 90's and haven't made their way back yet. BUT if you want a light, green fragrance that still is a distinctive chypre scent, I'd recommend Calandre. It's a very well composed mixture between Vent Vert (which is the ultimate green) and Y.

If you like Cabochard, you might also like Quadrille. It's a bit lighter, rounder and more fruity scent than Cabochard. Other great chypres are Le Dix (very elegant), Chant d'Aromes (inspired by Ma Griffe, and very much alike, but "younger" and fresher), Chamade which is something in between a chypre and a light oriental. The original Armani is almost impossible to get, but it's worth the hunt too - a very Italian chypre, light and harmonious.

Another choice could be Miss Balmain, quite floral but with "bite". And - perhaps the most clever suggestion - what about Ivoire? It's somewhat close to Mystere, but without the aldehydes (I think this is what you describe as an "ozonic" note). Ivoire is a grassy green chypre with a heavy civet base and plenty of moss and a hint of amber.

Of course you must also try Miss Dior AND the chypre above all chypres: Mitsouko. Don't expect to like it from the first sniff. It takes time, but that is worth it if any.

In short: My first suggestions would be Ivoire and Calandre. Have fun! *

Calandre is good..... I can wear it all year round, even in the summer heat.....

Please also check a post by Paloma on another thread here called "Chypres". That is where she gives about 40 names of new and old and trusted chypres and chypre-wanna-be's.

November must be the season, I guess.... : Like in " 'tis the season to love chypres"....

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    So now I am seeking a deep, green, moss Chypre scent with the presence of and attitude of Paloma Picasso but a decade or two younger....do you have any ideas?
    I'll have to give the "younger" part some thought. But for a deep, green moss chypre I'd suggest Aliage by Estee Lauder. It's the darkest mossy green I can think of and it'll definitely equal the presence of Paloma Picasso but different 'attitude'. Next would be Crepe de Chine. There's also Private Collection. You could go with a green floral aldehyde such as the Calandre that Dorthea suggested. The only thing about going the way of green florals is you'll lose the mossiness you're looking for. I'm thinking if you want something with the presence and attitude of Paloma Picasso, go for La Nuit. JMHO.

Y has more in common with Mitsouko than Givenchy III. It is a long time since I wore Givenchy III,I was a teenager! But when I tried Y the top notes made me think fruity chypre and Mitsouko. When Y settles it becomes its own beautiful self.

As for Noir Epices I find it similar to Magie Noir by Lancome.
    DONNA

Just want to add, on me the oakmoss in Calandre is very prominet - a sort of "wet", soft but distinctive moss. *

The original Bandit has a sort of 'don't mess with me" attitude depending on your skin.

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne is fairly no-nonsense. I get a deep herbal chypre out of it - sort of unisex. I understand this one is being discontinued, but samples are easy to get on ebay.

-Kathy-