Code of Conduct

Default Things that smell of something else

Just got a new mousemat and was completely perplexed by its smell of shoe-repair shop (must be the rubber glue).
    My favourite bright pink plastic propelling pencil recently acquired an unexpected but welcome smell of Lipstick Rose, presumably due to being in the same handbag pocket as my sample.
    And there was the day the cat smelled of sugared almonds, after she'd nuzzled my Jour de Fete'd wrist.

Apologies if this is o/t, but I'm intrigued by out of context smells. And how does that pencil hold Lipstick Rose for weeks on end?

Default Re: Things that smell of something else

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe
    Apologies if this is o/t, but I'm intrigued by out of context smells. And how does that pencil hold Lipstick Rose for weeks on end?
    Pencils are made of wood and wood is a good absorber of water and or oils ;D

Oh, you ever had Crystal Pepsi? Well when I first opened a can of that stuff it gave me very blunt smell memory and I could never quite place it. A few years later when I was at seaside in Portland, Oregon I walked into an old shop for gifts and such and I smelled that famous scent once again. It was the pungent stench of that stuff you squeezed out of a small tube and put on the end of a plastic straw to blow a chemical bubble and you could handle them with your hands and they wouldn't pop cause you could just re-seal them again by pinching it. Remember that? Same smell as crystal pepsi, I kid you not.

MJH

Well, I was put off the smell of vanilla (perfume) for many years because of a spilled bottle
    of Vanilla Fields in my old car. Mind you, when I say "old car", I don't just mean former car,
    but old car (it was 14 years old when I finally got rid of it). The "new car smell" was long-gone,
    and it had instead acquired that smell of sunbaked naugahyde and air-conditoner-filter mildew so
    typical of old (cheap) cars. Vanilla Fields was not an improvement. :P

On the other hand, sometimes it's the scent itself that smells too much like something else.
    I thought Gucci Pour Homme was a terrific leather scent the first time I tried it, and waited until
    they had gift sets on sale at TJMaxx for Father's Day. But then someone on the men's board
    made the comment that it smells like pencil shavings.....and that's all I can seem to smell now.
    It's one of the reasons I try to avoid making especially vivid negative comments on scents I don't like.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Well, I was put off the smell of vanilla (perfume) for many years because of a spilled bottle
    of Vanilla Fields in my old car. *Mind you, when I say "old car", I don't just mean former car,
    but old car (it was 14 years old when I finally got rid of it). *The "new car smell" was long-gone,
    and it had instead acquired that smell of sunbaked naugahyde and air-conditoner-filter mildew so
    typical of old (cheap) cars. *Vanilla Fields was not an improvement. *:P
    Mark! Too cute! ;D ;D ;D I know exactly the smell you're talking about. Well, sans Vanilla Fields, of course.

Noseorgy, thanks for the memory! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I haven't thought about those plastic/chemical bubble thingies in years and years. What in the heck were those? I think a friend of mine used to chew that stuff to hear or feel it pop in her mouth. Geez, it's a wonder we all survived.

Hebe, I'm no chemist but it's been my experience that plastic, or some plastic, absorbs odors. There was a time when I wanted everything of mine to smell of Youth Dew, and then later of Estee. Those, at different times, were my signature scents, so I would purposely scent the inside of my purses. Well, I would purposely scent everything back then.

Thank you.

Lots of memories for me there too MJH - I love the new car smell but *hate* the old car smell, especially if it's been cleaned inside with a chamois (no leather scents for me...). Isn't that strange how what you smell in a scent can be modified by what you read about that scent?

Noseorgy - not sure if we ever had Crystal Pepsi in the UK, although now of course I would like to try it to see what it smells like.

LadyL - it was a plastic pencil, so that makes a bit more sense. My leather watchstrap smells of pretty much everything I have ever worn or sampled.

i once tried on samsara while wearing a leather jacket when i was in junior high and it smelled of it until my mom gave it to goodwill when i went to college! to this day if i smell samsara, it seems strange to me, like it is missing it's "leather note"!