Code of Conduct

Default More a bout F. Malle's Carnal Flower.

From WWD

Frederic Malle's Take on Tuberose
    By Bryn Kenny

NEW YORK Carnal Flower, the newest scent from Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, features a classic source of inspiration tuberose in a way that it has never been experienced before, according to the company.

"Every single person making a tuberose fragrance is trying to knock off the classic, which is Fracas," said head perfumer Frederic Malle. "I had an idea to create a fragrance that's very close to natural tuberose."

Malle describes the classic Fracas by Robert Piguet scent, created by perfumer Germaine Cellier in 1948, as "slightly mature and femme fatale." In contrast, he envisioned a version of the tuberose genre that "is very fresh and true to nature."

To create such a scent, Malle enlisted the talents of perfumer Dominique Ropion, who had come across a form of purified natural tuberose exclusive to the supplier International Flavors and Fragrances. This purified form, according to the company, is extremely close to the "odor of living tuberose." Launching in December, Carnal Flower took about two years to create, according to Malle, and features more natural tuberose absolute than any other fragrance on the market. Price points range from $155 for a 50-ml. spray to $230 for a 100-ml. spray.

The unique aroma of the tuberose flower had long been a source of inspiration to Malle, he explained. "I've always been interested in doing a tuberose fragrance it's like a sexy flower scent," he said. "The other flower scents, roses, peonies, etc., are pretty, but they smell like flowers. They don't smell like skin at all they don't have that warm, carnal aspect."

Carnal Flower features top notes of bergamot, melon and eucalyptus, middle notes of ylang-ylang and jasmine and a drydown of white musk cocktail, coconut, orange blossom absolute and tuberose absolute DM. "I see it as having a few layers cohabiting at the same time," said Malle. "It's like a musician editing a piece we put some of the elements up and some of the elements down to turn it into a wearable perfume."

While Malle would not comment on sales figures, industry sources expect the scent to bring in up to $150,000 in retail sales in its first year (sources speculate the company does about $1 million in sales). And while Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle is currently sold exclusively through Barneys New York in the U.S., Malle said that he plans on opening freestanding stores Stateside for the brand in the next couple of years. He also plans three new stores in Paris by the end of this year.

"Barneys has been a very happy marriage and we've decided to stay true to each other for a very long time," he said. "But by the end of 2006 or beginning of 2007, it's very likely that we will open a shop in New York."

Default Re: More a bout F. Malle's Carnal Flower.

Aside from the price point and the potentially alarming melon note, I found this to be the most interesting bit:

Malle said that he plans on opening freestanding stores Stateside for the brand in the next couple of years

Now, wasn't this the reason L'Artisan was pulled from Saks?

Since the Malle line has such exclusive distribution in the US, this is a nice forward momentum for the company. Is he really saying, "We believe we have outgrown Barney's?"

Ladylonestar

Default Re: More a bout F. Malle's Carnal Flower.

In an article by Jane Larkworthy in W magazine (9/1/2005), Mr. Malle says this will be a "lavish white flower scent." Quoting further, "'It's going to be one of the sexiest things on the planet,' he promises, adding that getting the mix just right has caused him no small amount of anxiety. 'If you see me arriving bald, it will be because I've pulled all my hair out.'"

She says that where Mr. Malle's fragrances "... have always been accented with exotic ingredients...", the exotic inspiration for this fragrance came from.... a stick of Juicy Fruit gum (which one of his children was chewing) and this gave him the idea to add a fruit note for sexiness.