Code of Conduct

Default Rumor: Hilary Swank Deal for Guerlain?

WWD

NEW YORK — Reports are swirling that Guerlain is considering an all-American knockout to be the face of a new fragrance.

Hilary Swank, the two-time Oscar-winning actress, is said to be in negotiations with the fabled French fragrance house. If true, Swank, who last year starred in and collected best actress honors for the boxing hit "Million Dollar Baby," would join the likes of Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Liv Tyler in fronting a fragrance.

Swank is currently the Entertainment Industry Foundation's ambassador to Saks Fifth Avenue's annual Key to the Cure for cancer campaign. She's no stranger to fashion and beauty, appearing in a series of sultry ads last year for Calvin Klein's Sensual Support underwear brand.

Default Re: Rumor: Hilary Swank Deal for Guerlain?

Oh no! Don't know why but I can't stand Hillary Swank. Why don't they hire me? Thanks for the info anyway, Cedric.

*sulks in corner*

Sorry, but I don't see her as a great beauty or classic beauty.

I'm not a fan either, though she did look hot in the Calvin Klein ads.
    It could work with the right photographer.

I think it's bad enough that celebrities now grace the cover of fashion magazines [well in America at least] it really sucks that they now do ad campaigns. Sorry, but I don't want to associate a fragrance, or anything else for that matter, with a particular celebrity. Ad campaigns are interesting to me when the model featured in it has an aura of mystery about her. There is nothing mysterious about Hilary Swank or Scarlett Johansson. It's just stupid. Not like an ad campaign should actually affect the way you feel about a scent, or any other product, but it annoys me. Well, I'll qualify that. I don't particularly care for Vera Wang perfumes or Sicily, but I like their ad campaigns a lot. Etc.

I agree, I'd much prefer an unknown beauty that you don't find on a cover of a scandal sheet.

I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    I think it's bad enough that celebrities now grace the cover of fashion magazines [well in America at least] it really sucks that they now do ad campaigns. Sorry, but I don't want to associate a fragrance, or anything else for that matter, with a particular celebrity. Ad campaigns are interesting to me when the model featured in it has an aura of mystery about her. There is nothing mysterious about Hilary Swank or Scarlett Johansson. It's just stupid. Not like an ad campaign should actually affect the way you feel about a scent, or any other product, but it annoys me. Well, I'll qualify that. I don't particularly care for Vera Wang perfumes or Sicily, but I like their ad campaigns a lot. Etc.
    Actually the Sicily ad campaign features the famous Italian actress Monica Bellucci. Monica not only plays in Italian movies, but also in French and Hollywood blockbusters like Dracula, Matrix sequals, The Passion of Christ, Brothers Grimm...

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    [quote author=LoneFish link=1129272781/0#4 date=1129334956]I think it's bad enough that celebrities now grace the cover of fashion magazines [well in America at least] it really sucks that they now do ad campaigns. Sorry, but I don't want to associate a fragrance, or anything else for that matter, with a particular celebrity. Ad campaigns are interesting to me when the model featured in it has an aura of mystery about her. There is nothing mysterious about Hilary Swank or Scarlett Johansson. It's just stupid. Not like an ad campaign should actually affect the way you feel about a scent, or any other product, but it annoys me. Well, I'll qualify that. I don't particularly care for Vera Wang perfumes or Sicily, but I like their ad campaigns a lot. Etc.
    Actually the Sicily ad campaign features the famous Italian actress Monica Bellucci. Monica not only plays in Italian movies, but also in French and Hollywood blockbusters like Dracula, Matrix sequals, The Passion of Christ, Brothers Grimm...[/quote]

whoops! well then that was a bad analogy for me to make. at least she is unknown to me, or at least not instantly recognizable

I only remember her from re-runs of 90210- like any of the actors on that show I guess I consider her just average. Although if she's won awards and such I guess I'd like to think she has improved. I guess I feel so blaise toward celebrities these days that I don't have much of an opinion either way. Like too much sugar (or airbrushing) I'm sick of them all.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

MJH

I think she's a talented actress but (and I hate to say this) I think her 'look' is all wrong for a perfume ad campaign (not that I'm a big fan of celebrities ads to begin with). I've tried watching her in period pieces like The Affair of the Necklace and Iron Jawed Angels and her toothy boyishness was just too distracting and out-of-place for me to enjoy her performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria_O
    I agree, I'd much prefer an unknown beauty that you don't find on a cover of a scandal sheet.
    Not that you'd ever find Ms. Swank on the cover of a scandal sheet. I wish she'd freak out and do crack or marry a satanist or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    [quote author=Victoria_O link=1129272781/0#5 date=1129392460]I agree, I'd much prefer an unknown beauty that you don't find on a cover of a scandal sheet.
    Not that you'd ever find Ms. Swank on the cover of a scandal sheet. I wish she'd freak out and do crack or marry a satanist or something.
    [/quote]
    I have the same wish for Gwyneth Paltrow...

edit: I think Hilary is a good actress, but I inevitably (and unfairly) compare her to Chloe Seviginy, who I think is a VERY good actress with lots of charisma...I just wish she too would have stayed out of the ads...
    edit again: OK, I really need to learn how to spell properly...

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    I think she's a talented actress but (and I hate to say this) I think her 'look' is all wrong for a perfume ad campaign (not that I'm a big fan of celebrities ads to begin with). I've tried watching her in period pieces like The Affair of the Necklace and Iron Jawed Angels and her toothy boyishness was just too distracting and out-of-place for me to enjoy her performances.
    Mark, I must agree about "toothy boyishness"! ;D ;D ;D

I generally dislike the use of celebs in the scent ads. The fragrance ads I like most are more about the mood than about a certain type of person.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

i like her. very good actress, and quite beautiful in a non-standard way.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I suppose Guerlain is trying to appeal to younger customers, but I simply cannot associate Ms. Swank (or, for the matter, any actress of her age) with the classic Guerlain grandeur. The shoe is too big, if that is the expression in English.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I don't care about Swank but is there any news on Guerlain's new scent?

I agree, Hillary is a nice woman but rather a sport woman symbol that doesn't suit to Guerlain at all, in the term of its perfumes character. You cannot find any fresh citrusy airy and sportive scent in this perfume house. Therefore I don't understand that selection.