Code of Conduct

Default New perfume for my Mom's b-day-suggestions?

Well, my Mom's birthday is coming up in less than 2 weeks.

Fortunately, I've started planning right now, and I would like to get her a new perfume for this event. Right now, she wears Boucheron's Jaipur Saphir (her favorite), Thierry Mugler's Angel (both the original and Violet ones), and Dior's Hypnotic Poison. In the past, she's liked Chanel No. 5, Guerlain's Shalimar, and Burberry London. On the other hand, she hates straight-up florals (especially those with a gardenia note), and chypres tend to turn nasty on her due to her skin chemistry.

In other words, she likes orientals a lot. So, what should I get her this time around? I've been thinking about several scents, including Angel Innocent, Shalimar in pure parfum, and Burberry Brit. Any other suggestions? There are some limits, though...it has to be relatively accessible through dept. stores and it can't be niche (in other words, no fountain Carons).
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: New perfume for my Mom's b-day-suggestions?

Off the top of my head, and based on what you said, I'd suggest : Lolita Lempicka, Chopard's Wish or Pure Wish, FLower Le Parfum (the red bottle), Addict, Sonia Rykiel, Obsession,Prada....or maybe even Pink Sugar *

Or perhaps you could also try..........
    Brit Red
    Brit Gold
    Flowerbomb
    Must de Cartier
    Bourcheron Trouble
    Good luck and let us know what you finally choose and what you Mum thinks of it.

Oops, I forgot...my mom and I sampled Lolita Lempicka recently and she loved it. She also liked the new CK Euphoria.

As for Obsession, it sounds too 80s, plus I have a memory of high school math teachers who bathed in the stuff. Trouble sounds up her alley, but she sampled it once and wan't a big fan of it.

Decisions, decisions... :-?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I'd say Brit Gold. I have somewhat similar tastes to those your mother likes and I love this one. Plus it's a pretty package, a nice gift presentation.

I have a few suggestions:

Shalimar parfum (you can't go wrong with this one.) I got mine from parfum1.com at a great price.

Brit Red (it's more of an oriental that the original edt and edp.) You may be able to find it in a gift set with the body lotion.

Does she like Opium? The parfum is excellent, imo much better than the edt and edp. The LE versions, if you can still find them, are lovely (especially Fleur de Shanghai.)

Flowerbomb is a great suggestion. Some find it similar to Angel, but imo it smells like nothing else on the market. The lotion is beautiful.

Do you think she'd like Prada?

That's all I can think of for now. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it here later.

I was going to suggest Trouble, but where you said it wasn't a hit, then I'd say Dior Addict. It seems those that like one, often do not care for the other and vice versa. ( I love Trouble but was only mildly amused with Addict.)

I third the Flowerbomb suggestion- it's one that hooked me recently too.

Lolita Lempicka- if she likes it, then it's a no-brainer I'd say. It makes such a lovely presentation with that bottle too.

Coco in the parfum is yummy beyond belief.

Casmir- it's warm, sweet and very Oriental.

What about Estee Lauder's Youth Dew? It's deep, rich and velvety- especially in parfum. Or Cinnabar for a spicy twist.

Dunhill's Desire for Women- it has freesia in the top, so it comes out a bit lighter than other Orientals. In the end it's all about the vanilla though, and it does have a bit of licorice in it as well.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I've narrowed down my choices to Lolita Lempicka or TM Innocent, as she liked both of them and that both are available locally. Flowerbomb is a good suggestion, but the nearest Saks (it's exclusive to them in the US) is in Indianapolis, around 110 miles away. Given the price of gas these days, I wouldn't want to waste $30 to fill up our car on top of the $95 for a 1.7 oz EdP when we can get many of the others locally.

As for Web ordering? Fuhgettaboudit, as I want to keep this gift as secret as possible to her (she doesn't read Basenotes, so it's OK to talk about this here.) Having the UPS guy show up four days before her B-day with an un-giftwrapped package is just nuts to me, especially when Von Maur will gift-wrap your smellies for free.

Now comes the tricky part...
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage