Code of Conduct

Default The absolute worst names in fragrance

Ever been embarassed to actually say the name of the scent you're wearing?

Today's pick: Poppy Be Wild, sounds like something my Hispanic co-worker would scream in the throes of ecstasy with her boyfriend.

Default Re: The absolute worst names in fragrance

I would never, ever be caught wearing something called
    Very Sexy
    Sexual
    FCUK
    Addict
    Baby Phat Goddess
    Dream Angels Heavenly
    Full Choke
    Feeling Man
    Clean Man
    Envy
    So Pretty
    Sexy Graffiti
    Ibiza Hippie

But I do wear my
    People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo
    Les Parfums de Bobo Dinner by Bobo
    Next Guru Now Mutation no. 1
    with pride! [smiley=grin.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have to say, Alien is just about the dumbest name I've heard in awhile.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7

Today's pick: Poppy Be Wild, sounds like something my Hispanic co-worker would scream in the throes of ecstasy with her boyfriend.
    [smiley=grin.gif]I have not heard of it before, but for some reason my first associations were along the lines of banjo music and bullriding.....or possible *"the Texas Chainsaw massacre"

I agree about all the Sexy-somethings. And any name with superlatives, like Delicious or Be Delicious make me feel a bit embarassed.

Ho Hang is just hilarious
    some others:

Liquid Karl
    Feeling Man
    Full Choke
    Cumming
    Dinner by Bobo
    Eau du Coq

On the other hand my favorite is Hai Karate, too bad I've never smelled it
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    Liquid Karl
    Cumming
    Agree!

What's funniest is that "karl" means "man" in Swedish... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Slightly off-topic, but this reminds me of a very short-lived christmas campaign from the swedish company locum, where they replaced the o with a heart in ther ads. It was removed pretty soon

Back to subject: If I found all those lables together on someones shelf I would be slightly worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    Slightly off-topic, but this reminds me of a very short-lived christmas campaign from the swedish company locum, where they replaced the o with a heart in ther ads. It was removed pretty soon

Back to subject: If I found all those lables together on someones shelf I would be slightly worried.
    LOL! ! ! ! That's a good one!

Sean Combs new Unforgivable....geeeessh!

You guys are cracking me up. Here's my list:

Face a Face - Makes me think of going nose to nose or forehead to forehead.
    Diesel anything - Ach! What first comes to mind are the gas fumes of an 18 wheeler.
    Krazy Krizia - Dull and unimaginative to the max.
    Plush Fubu - What's a Fubu? Anything like a Fufu?
    Liz Taylor's line of scents named after diamonds, rubies, etc. - Rhinestone cowgirls might like these names. Very cheap sounding.
    anything with "Jeans" or a "2" at the tail end - Desperate to market something with a hastily named product.

Thankfully, I don't own any of these. [smiley=wink.gif] Love this topic!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

:-)))

Liquid Karl is the worst. Krazy Krizia has the silly name, I agree, but the juice is tempting!

How about: "What are wearing today?"
    "Tiptoeing Through Chambers of Moon!"

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    :-)))

How about: *"What are wearing today?"
    "Tiptoeing Through Chambers of Moon!"
    Or how about The Exact Friction of the Stars? *

Cumming is obscene and Liquid Karl brings unwanted visions from the old Sci-Fi movie Soylent Green. * Bandit makes me think of raccoons and small chimunks instead of classic fragrance. *

Krazy Kriza is odd but I do wear the scent during the winter. *

Mandate? Are you guaranteed a 'mandate' when you wear this... on the other hand sounds like something Tony Blair would wear to the office. Not so sexy methinks!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Demeter Holy Water Pick-Me-Up Spray.
    Demeter Funeral Home Pick-Me-Up Spray.

Seems like one's missing that should come before either of these--Demeter Ambulance Pick-Me-Up Spray.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

ROTFLOL [smiley=laugh.gif]

Lacoste's Style in Play has to be one of the most moronic names ever,not to mention.....the fragrance SUCKS as well!!

L'Instant PH has an awful name too. But because the scent itself is very nice,i can forgive that.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kissandmakeup
    Mandate? Are you guaranteed a 'mandate' when you wear this... on the other hand sounds like something Tony Blair would wear to the office. Not so sexy methinks!
    [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] Agree! Sounds very stuffy and grey.
    But I've read somewhere he wears Habit Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Lacoste's Style in Play has to be one of the most moronic names ever
    Agree! How about Lacoste Style at Work? [smiley=tongue.gif]

Don't have any of my own, but I have to chime in that Poopy Be Wild and Feeling Man are horrifying names!

Liquid Karl is kind of strange too -- I can just imagine Karl Lagerfeld slowly melting away. Kind of a disturbing image.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    Liquid Karl is kind of strange too -- I can just imagine Karl Lagerfeld slowly melting away. Kind of a disturbing image.
    It is! Plus now I can't help thinking about his recent massive weight loss and if it had something to do with it: the extra body fat was turned into liquid and bottled. LK was a Limited Edition after all. [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    Diesel anything - Ach! *What first comes to mind are the gas fumes of an 18 wheeler.
    Fufu- you completely read my mind!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

I don't have any to add -- just enjoying this thread!!

Ladylonestar

So You
    xoxo
    By (this name drives me nuts)
    Dior Me Dior Me Not
    Be Delicious

Not too fond of:

MyQueen
    Turquatic
    C-Squeeze

Agree with:

Diesel-anything
    Liquid Karl
    Eau du Coq
    Cumming

How could I forget Chris 1947??!! [smiley=shocked.gif]

Poor Monsieur Christian Dior must be squirming in his grave. [smiley=sad.gif]

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Rochas' Poupée (which means "doll," but ya still gotta snicker).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    [quote author=LoneFish link=1126414794/15#15 date=1126500632]Liquid Karl is kind of strange too -- I can just imagine Karl Lagerfeld slowly melting away. Kind of a disturbing image.
    It is! Plus now I can't help thinking about his recent massive weight loss and if it had something to do with it: the extra body fat was turned into liquid and bottled. LK was a Limited Edition after all. [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]
    [/quote]

Oh yuck, you're right. Never even thought of that. Now I have the heebie jeebies.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    Oh yuck, you're right. Never even thought of that. Now I have the heebie jeebies.
    [smiley=grin.gif] Sorry [smiley=embarassed.gif]

But it's a shame really about the name because the scent itself is very nice & yummy: bread, chocolate, spices...

I must agree that Liquid Karl is pretty much the worst. Be Delicious....Another one that is pretty bad. True Star?....Not for me.
    Gary

The entire Dior series, how original can one be? Diorissimo, Dior Dior, Dior Me Dior Me Not, Diorama, Diorella, Diorling, I Love Dior, Miss Dior.... has overuse of a brand name never occurred to CD?

I don't know, Elysium. Consider 1970's Chevrolet cars: Chevette, Chevelle, Chevy II. Chevrolets aren't even marginally amusing as compared to 'Dior Me, Dior Me Not'.

The Dior thing just makes me think that if we had a Female Fragrance Discussion Slumber Party and it got to be 2:00 in the morning and everyone was acting highschooly and had the giggles - those are the kinds of names we'd come up with.

For example: We are sitting in a circle on the floor of LadyLoneStar's bedroom, wearing our nighties and FuFu blurts out, "Diorissimo!" And it would be sidesplittingly funny and cute and we'd dissolve into laughter until Tigrushka would say, "J'adore Dior!" and we'd start all over again.

Dior is trying to capture our exuberance, our girlish aspirations and dreams. Its exciting. And how do I know its exciting? Because everything is followed by an exclamation mark!

You have to admit some of their stuff is very nice. I am still having trouble with Mandate; makes me think of an encounter in a gay bar. Mandate.

I second *Dinner by Bobo*. It sounds like dog food to me.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

^^ [smiley=grin.gif]!
    You wouldn't want to let that one out of the bag, you'd be laughed at no end!

Veronica, they are 'cutesy' but with so many variations on a theme, I can't keep up. I've no idea which one is which nor smells which way. I think word associations help to keep a perfume memorable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    The Dior thing just makes me think that if we had a Female Fragrance Discussion Slumber Party and it got to be 2:00 in the morning and everyone was acting highschooly and had the giggles - those are the kinds of names we'd come up with.

For example: We are sitting in a circle on the floor of LadyLoneStar's bedroom, wearing our nighties and FuFu blurts out, "Diorissimo!" *And it would be sidesplittingly funny and cute and we'd dissolve into laughter until Tigrushka would say, "J'adore Dior!" and we'd start all over again.
    Oh my god CAN WE???!!!

Sounds like the most fun ever!

~Silk

Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant

Who would name a fragrance elephant?
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant

Apparently Kenzo would, and did, too. [smiley=wink.gif]

Monkey Farts (who made this?)
    The Sacred Whore of Babylon

Alien is a dumb name, and the fragrance stinks.

Ralph, hands down would be the most awful name(used as a verb or a mans name, still not pleasant to say you're wearing it)...second is Cumming.

Moschino - Cheap and Chic I LOVE LOVE
    Very Irrésistible Sensual Eau de Parfum
    Black Code, Black XS, Polo Black probably soon Miss Dior Chérie Black and Eau black (oops, acutually Dior did it with Eau noire lol)
    Chantal Thomass Ame Coquine

Quote Originally Posted by makemepretty
    Ralph
    That's absolutely one of the worst! Tommy Girl is another. :-X

Poppy Be Wild, sounds like something my Hispanic co-worker would scream in the throes of ecstasy with her boyfriend.
    LMAO!!!!! *;D
    David and Becca forever!!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I know Etro's patchouli/lavender fragrance is pronounced Mah-GOH, but my first reflex whenever I see "Magot" is to say "maggot." Can't get past that unseemly visual association.

Ditto, Quarry. Magot makes me think of maggots. Don't think I even want to try the stuff. ;D
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    Ditto, Quarry. Magot makes me think of maggots. Don't think I even want to try the stuff. ;D
    It's a beautiful scent, so don't let the name fool you!

What a disappointment!
    Until just a few minutes ago I thought Isabella Rossellinis latest one was called "Darling", and I always found it to be a good name, a little humoristic, flirtatious, camp; I always imagined it as pronounced by Patsy or Edina on Absolutley Fabolous.

The name"Daring" on the other hand has sort of an opposite impact on the fragrance....I know I´ve sniffed it, but I can´t really remember how I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant

Initially it was just called Jungle, then he made another one with a tiger on it, so there had to be a way to tell them apart.

Here are some of my "favorites":

1. Green Water (J. Fath, 1947) - who wants to smell like a dirty pool?
    2. Moustache (Rochas, 1949) - enough said!
    3. Snuff (Schiaparelli, 1938) - maybe in its day it sounded good, who knows?
    4. Mouchoir de Monsieur (Guerlain, 1904) - I know it's a classic, but I can't forget it means "man's handkerchief" and that kind of pulls me back!

"It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Let us not forget:

Purple Fantasy
    Rockin' Rio
    Vent Vert (especially since this translates "Green Wind," I think of farts or something)

I don't want to run out and buy "Halloween" either.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbillion
    Let us not forget: ...Vent Vert (especially since this translates "Green Wind," I think of farts or something)
    Vent Vert = farts? Well, I think it also translates to "green breeze". Perhaps that won't put you in mind of farts or something.

One Man Show is such a corny name, something you'll associate with a hustler
    Let your nose be your pilot