Code of Conduct

Default Greetings from Tallinn + a sniffing report

Again the Estonians are ahead of us Finns: I spotted Hypnose, My Queen and Alien at Kaubamaja, none of the three is yet available in Finland. :-[

Hypnose sounded interesting, I like the name and I like the bottle but the juice! Very synthetic-smelling, IMO, and it got instant thumbs down from Mr Tigs, too.

I was sceptic about My Queen because I don't like Kingdom (being very polite here... :) and the bottle looks like a Barbie doll accessory but I was pleasantly surprised; My Queen smells mostly of vanilla and violets, it's very "English" somehow, rather old-fashioned, quite lovely. Could be tempted...

Alien? Not too crazy about the name, the campaign or the bottle, but the scent was much nicer than I thought. Nothing earth-shattering or new under the sun but it's not bad at all, quite captivating (Mr Tigs liked it the most of this trio) and like Angel it lasts and lasts and lasts.

Though Aquolina bath & body products were all over the place, there wasn't any Pink Sugar stuff available, so I ended up not buying anything.

Good to be back!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Greetings from Tallinn + a sniffing report

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Alien? Not too crazy about the name, the campaign or the bottle, but the scent was much nicer than I thought. Nothing earth-shattering or new under the sun but it's not bad at all, quite captivating (Mr Tigs liked it the most of this trio) and like Angel it lasts and lasts and lasts.
    Tried this on a smelling strip this friday. I didn't fall for it really, even though there is something in tit which brings back memories from my summers at my grandparent's summr home in the northern part of Sweden. You had to wash yourself outdoors in a small sink you filled with rain water from a bucket. It always smelled in a weird but good way on that spot. All the soap from all the years was there on that wooden deck I guess. And I also connect the scent to a beautiful flower we in swedish call "lupin":

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Tried this on a smelling strip this friday. I didn't fall for it really, even though there is something in tit which brings back memories from my summers at my grandparent's summr home in the northern part of Sweden. You had to wash yourself outdoors in a small sink you filled with rain water from a bucket. It always smelled in a weird but good way on that spot. All the soap from all the years was there on that wooden deck I guess. And I also connect the scent to a beautiful flower we in swedish call "lupin"
    What a lovely memory, Shifts! It's so great when scents remind you of childhood summers in the countryside at your granny's... We have lupins in Finland, too, here they are called "lupiini".

Alien is quite "alien", it's weird scent but simultaneously "familiar". I will retry it more properly later. It's not really my kind of scent but it's interesting.

Thanks for the report! My Queen sounds like something I might like. Alien sounds intriguing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria
    My Queen sounds like something I might like.
    It's sweet and powdery, smells a bit like sugared violets and it's almondy, too.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Lupines are native to North America, too. Shifts, your story was wonderful and your photo was a visual treat. We're collecting prairie seeds at this time of year, and the day someone figures out how to reproduce the musk of drying gray-headed coneflower seeds, the whole world will know their heady and relaxing scent.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts

Tried this on a smelling strip this friday. I didn't fall for it really, even though there is something in tit which brings back memories from my summers at my grandparent's summr home in the northern part of Sweden. You had to wash yourself outdoors in a small sink you filled with rain water from a bucket. It always smelled in a weird but good way on that spot. All the soap from all the years was there on that wooden deck I guess. And I also connect the scent to a beautiful flower we in swedish call "lupin":
    Great report! I was also pleasantly surprised by My Queen. *The heliotrope note is very well done. *

Shifts, I have an almost identical memory from spending summers at my grandmother's house in the south of Ukraine. Lupin is one of the flowers she grew in her garden. Thank you for bringing back a beautiful memory.

[quote author=plumeria link=1127642262/0#3 date=1127662456]My Queen sounds like something I might like.
    It's sweet and powdery, smells a bit like sugared violets and it's almondy, too. [/quote]

For some reason, this sounds like it would be great for winter. Will definitely try this!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria
    I was also pleasantly surprised by My Queen. The heliotrope note is very well done.
    I agree! I guess it's the violet & heliotrope combo that makes My Queen so nicely "old-fashioned" and nostalgic.

I agree! I guess it's the violet & heliotrope combo that makes My Queen so nicely "old-fashioned" and nostalgic.
    Old-fashioned and nostalgic is perfectly put. I just tried my sample of My Queen again, and it actually smells a little like my grandmother's cupboard, where she would store various candy, sugared nuts, tea, etc. And yes, Kingdom was not my favourite either.

Have a good time in Tallinn! I love that city, and I regret not visiting when I had an opportunity this summer.

Tig! Welcome back. My Queen sounds nice. I admit that I wasn't expecting much since I'm not a fan of the original Kingdom.

Sounds like you had a good trip Tigs!

Haven't sniffed any of those yet, so was happy to read your thoughts.

Since I like my violets clear, not too sweet or even more to the green I'm not sure MyQueen will be to my liking, but you never know- so of course I will sample. Ditto for Alien- although I do find the name ridiculous and completely unappealing.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Thanks, Hound! My Queen is indeed quite a leap from Kingdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Since I like my violets clear, not too sweet or even more to the green I'm not sure MyQueen will be to my liking, but you never know- so of course I will sample. Ditto for Alien- although I do find the name ridiculous and completely unappealing.
    On me My Queen was sweet and powdery ("vanilla", said Mr Tigs :) but as always, you can never really tell until you've tried it on your own skin. Btw, did you like Ormonde, Key? IMO it has a perfect violet note: cool, "dark" and velvety.

Agree about Alien's name and "image", that sci-fi thing does not appeal to me in the least, maybe that's partly why I was positively surprised by the scent itself! ;D

Btw, did you like Ormonde, Key? IMO it has a perfect violet note: cool, "dark" and velvety.

I surprisingly prefered the Men's Ormond to Ormond- although I think the whole line is OUTSTANDING! *They both caught me as more late fall into the heart of winter fragrances, so I am looking forward to pulling both samples out once again. *Initially I thought they were both inspired and full of imagination. *And yes, I agree, the violet note is particularly good there. *

The violet note that surprises me the most is the one in Bulgari pour Femme. *It's tempered with green jasmine sambac notes, so I suppose that's why I enjoy it so much. *Usually that sort of note is too much for me. *I do find the composition more agreeable in cooler weather though and don't think of it as a summer perfume- even though everything about it would seem to scream, "Summer!"
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

My Queen sounds like a potential Fufu fragrance - did I hear powdery and almond? Soft and subtle with a touch of floral will almost always appeal to me. Thanks for the reviews, Tiggy!
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    The violet note that surprises me the most is the one in Bulgari pour Femme. It's tempered with green jasmine sambac notes, so I suppose that's why I enjoy it so much. Usually that sort of note is too much for me. I do find the composition more agreeable in cooler weather though and don't think of it as a summer perfume- even though everything about it would seem to scream, "Summer!"
    Now you did it, Key: that sounds like I must give BpF another go!

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    My Queen sounds like a potential Fufu fragrance - did I hear powdery and almond? Soft and subtle with a touch of floral will almost always appeal to me.
    My Queen is definitely in "the angora sweater territory" so it could be just the ticket for you, Blue!

Thanks Tigs

I was able to smell Alien and Hypnose at Dubai duty-free yesterday, but I haven't tried MyQueen yet. Not too sure about Alien, although it was quite "garden-y" to begin with, and I didn't fancy the Hypnose at all, far too artificial as you say. Looking forward to trying MyQueen, as a Kingdom-lover I'm hoping for something delectable.

Ladylonestar

Thanks so much for the sniffing report, Tigs! I read over my review of MyQueen in another thread and it seems our impressions are very similar. Despite the name (which I do not care for at all), I do like the fragrance very much. I haven't sampled Alien yet.

Hypnose sounds like a real disappointment and yet, for some reason, I'm not surprised. Just yesterday I happened to read something: Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else. While that made me chuckle as I found it amusing, I can't help but apply it to so many new fragrance launches... fancy names, romantic concepts, ambitious ingredients all coming together to make it the next unique fragrance... just like all the others. [smiley=wink.gif]

Enjoyed your reviews and I look forward to the next Tallinn trip! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]