Excerpt from WWD.

Hilary's Birthday Treat: Turning 18, Duff Plans On a Lifestyle Empire
By Khanh T.L. Tran with contributions by Julie Naughton

LOS ANGELES Hilary Duff celebrated her 18th birthday in style Wednesday by becoming the chief executive officer of her own fashion and lifestyle company.

Hillary Duff has signed a fragrance deal with Elizabeth Arden, making her the latest in a string of high-profilers including Sean "Diddy" Combs, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kimora Lee Simmons and Paris Hilton looking to cash in on the beauty business.

The first piece of the Duff beauty oeuvre, a fragrance, is scheduled for a fall 2006 launch in prestige beauty doors in the U.S. The line will then be rolled out globally.

"We had our first creative meeting today," Duff said, adding that she's fond of fragrances such as Opium, Marc Jacobs Blush, Burberry Brit, Stella McCartney, Narciso Rodriguez and Child. "I wear different fragrances at different times of the day. In fact, when we met, I said, I only get to do one first?' I have so many ideas, but I know what I like and what I don't."

Although terms of the deal were not disclosed, industry sources have speculated that such agreements often include an up-front payout of $1 million to $2 million, and 1 to 3 percent of fragrance sales after the scent is on the counter.