Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default Allergy to Mitsouko??!!

Hi, I'm new here and joined in the hopes that someone can advise me re: a tragedy that has befallen me. It seems that I've developed an allergy to my signature perfume!! My identity since the age of 17!
    I've been in love with Mitsouko by Guerlain since I first smelled it on my English tutor as a child, stumbled upon it on my then future mother-in-law's dresser and have been wearing it ever since. It is me, it is who I am. Unfortunately, now when I wear it I break out in a red, extremely itchy rash.
    Any advice as to what I should do? Is there a similar scent that perhaps doesn't contain oak moss? (not that I'm sure that's the culprit, it just seems likely).
    Any other suggestions as to what to do? I would be forever in your debt.

Default Re: Allergy to Mitsouko??!!

Hmm, I'm afraid there aren't any substitutes for Mitsouko (or any other scent that is one's signature) but you might like to try Rochas Femme or YSL Y (fruity Chypres) or YSL Opium or Chanel Coco (Orientals but with a mellow gold "glow" that reminds me of Mitsouko).

I have developed an allergy for one scent: Salvador Dalí. Loved it but after a couple of years couldn't wear it because of the rash it gave me. [smiley=cry.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Is it skin contact that gives you the rash? Try spraying it on your clothes, or hair (although that's riskier). Or is it breathing it in?

~Silk

tigrushka, you're right of course, there is no real substitute for a signature. I've tried Rochas Femme many years ago and it was a delicious scent, suited me very well. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in Greece where I'm living right now. I've also worn Opium from time to time, a very nice scent, but a little heavy for me, I only wear it in winter and very, very sparingly. I haven't tried Coco or Y, I'll give them a try, thank you. I'll keep my fingers crossed. (It's also good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to).
    SilkandSteel, yes it's skin contact that gives me the rash. I am spraying it on clothes right now, but of course it's not the same, the scent doesn't develop as it should. I guess I'll have to find a new scent, re-invent myself. Ah well, let the journey begin.

Wow- this is terrible to hear of your allergy. I was going to also suggest the perfume-in-the-hair idea, but as someone else said, it's risky. My only other thought, that hasn't been mentioned already, is to try one of the oil duplicates. Maybe something like Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's "Mitsouko type" (https://www.dshperfumes.com) Perhaps the ingredients would be just different enough not to get a reaction?

Whatever happens, I wish you luck on your search for a suitable alternate.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I feel so very sorry for you. This has happened to me at various times (usually in winter) I can break out in a rash from any of my perfumes. When this happens I'm quite devastated. I will not go without! What I do is spray different parts of my body where there's no rash. I also spray my clothes sometimes. Or if I'm just at home I'll spray lots onto a handkerchief and sniff that all the time. Have you given your skin a good break from Mitsouko? Perhaps you will be able to use it again in a little while. Perhaps you could try a scent that has very different notes in it to Mitsouko and see how your skin reacts to that. Don't give up! There will be some way around this. Best of luck.

Thank you for your sympathy, artisankey, and for the link. That site looks great, I'll be exploring it thoroughly. Do the oils smell as good as the perfumes? How do you wear them? The analysis of Mitsouko was very interesting on that site, this is the first time I've seen Neroli listed as an ingredient... [smiley=shocked.gif]and I do have an allergy to bitter orange blossoms, I can barely breathe when they are blooming. Maybe that's the culprit instead of the oakmoss? Must investigate.

Kas, thank you so much. It is comforting to know I'm not such an oddity and that this has happened to other people too. So far I've been taking a break from my beloved Mitsouko, I just look longingly at the bottle sitting on my dresser. I do hope I can wear it again at some point, but the last time I tried it the rash was terrible and it took days to die down. I won't give up though, there has to be a way.

Hm, I wonder if you were to take Claritin or some other antihistamine before applying the perfume, if that would help prevent a rash? I suppose it's worth a shot.

That is really sad!

How about spraying a cotton ball and wearing it in your breasts?
    DONNA

I have a similar reaction to Poeme. Have you tried layering Mitsouko body wash and body cream? I have both and they leave quite a sillage. Also try spraying edt on our clothes instead of skin.
    I cannot think of anything to substitute Mitsouko with, Femme by Rochas is perhaps the closest.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Honestly! I think I'd try the body cream. Or.....I'd take a break and try again another time. I don't think I'd give it up. How bout the parfum?

Posted by: LoneFish Posted on: Today at 1:00am
    Hm, I wonder if you were to take Claritin or some other antihistamine before applying the perfume, if that would help prevent a rash? I suppose it's worth a shot.
    I'm already on Zirtek and though it helps me breathe when the bitter orange blossoms are out, it doesn't seem to help much with the skin rash, sigh [smiley=cry.gif]
    Posted by: donna255 Posted on: Today at 1:07pm
    That is really sad!

How about spraying a cotton ball and wearing it in your breasts?

LOL, never thought of that one!!

Posted by: levannah Posted on: Today at 3:02pm
    I have a similar reaction to Poeme. Have you tried layering Mitsouko body wash and body cream? I have both and they leave quite a sillage. Also try spraying edt on our clothes instead of skin.
    I cannot think of anything to substitute Mitsouko with, Femme by Rochas is perhaps the closest.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll try that. And you are so right, Femme does seem to come closest, though it's just a tiny bit sweeter. It's a wonderful scent though.

Posted by: glorious1 Posted on: Today at 8:14pm
    Honestly! I think I'd try the body cream. Or.....I'd take a break and try again another time. I don't think I'd give it up. How bout the parfum?

Yes, the body cream and wash sound about right. And I have been taking a break, don't know for how long I should do it though. I'm rather afraid to try the parfum, just in case the higher concentration gives me a worse rash. Have been considering resorting to cologne? Maybe the fact that it's so diluted might help?
    But everyone, you are being just fabulous! I am sooo glad to have stumbled on this great site, filled with such understanding and knowledgeable people!
    I feel like I've come home! No one else in my circle of friends and family can remotely understand what a blow this allergy has been for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! [smiley=kiss.gif]

Well.............go to a store that will let you try the parfum tester! It's one day's rash just to see.