Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances not tested on animals

I realise this is a downer of a post, but I have two questins that have to be put.

Does anyone have any information about what brands that are not associated with animal testings? I know that Stella McCarthneys (very nice) products are not tested, because itīs ther on the bottle. (and with Linda as her mother itīs not surprising)

My second question is maybe stupid, but I am still quite stupid on the subject of fragrance ingrediences, AND I am also afraid of the answer. I recently learnded that Jicky - very precious to me - has civet as one of itīs basenotes. Are perfumeurs nowadays still using the "real" civet, collected from the cat-animal, kept in very narrow cages and frightened in order to produce this essence? Or is there a substitute, as there is with musk?

I want to stress that Iīm not judging anyone who likes to use perfumes with civet. But as a cat lover and "veggie" (who eats fish), It woutld just break my heart to wear a perfume that has drool from maltreated sibblings of my cat, in it

Default Re: products not tested on animals

all ted baker products are actually stamped with tested on HUMANS !

Firstly civet,there is one farm left in the world Ethopia(sp). When the animals all die then that will be it for the real thing. Saying that I would say 99% of fragrance is made with synthetic civet,ambergris is synthetic these days. Even Amouage who go on about the natural ingrediants in their perfumes have now admitted they use synthetics.

As for animal testing unfortunately at point in the past all ingrediants used have been tested. They can say that nothing has been used in testing for the 10 year rule.
    DONNA

Thanks al lot! Happy.

(tested on humans...hmmm...maybe not as scary as it sounds though)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrances not tested on animals

I see there is an online list of companies purported to test on animals. Calvin Klein's on this list.
    http://www.allforanimals.com/cruel1.htm

There is also a list of companies that do not test on critters. Chanel, Estee Lauder, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret are included.
    http://www.allforanimals.com/cruelfree1.htm

The lists aren't fully comprehensive, and I don't know how accurate they are, but they're some kind of reference.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Very good, it was something like that I was looking for.
    Thank you!

There is still real civet in Jicky but it comes from old stock. Jean Paul Guerlain bought mastive quantities when he learned that producing civet would get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    There is still real civet in Jicky but it comes from old stock. Jean Paul Guerlain bought mastive quantities when he learned that producing civet would get banned.
    Hmm, I think can live with that...possibly...

I don't know of any natural perfumers who test their products on animals. Some may have a small stash of civet that they will not replenish when it runs out (as they have told me.) There are so many lovely base note fixatives that are available from vegetative sources, hopefully, one day, civet usage will be history. I like to use ambrette seed, various woods, vanilla and other substances to anchor my perfumes.

I like my cats up and about, running, playing and unmolested ;-)

Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

I'm pretty sure BPAL and fragrances from Lush or Be Never Too Busy to be Beautiful are not tested on animals and neither are their ingredients sourced from animals.

Thanks for the replies! Well, I guess like donna says, most "critical" substances have all been animal tested at some point before these things were reacted upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural_Juice

I like my cats up and about, running, playing and unmolested ;-)
    Yes, cats are the best (although pretty cruel little animals!) Nice website!

Basenotes Plus

My most recent blind buy, Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland, is not tested on animals, according to the box the bottle came in. I can only assume other fragrances by this house follow the same policy. Patrick is also quite a nice fragrance I might add.

estee lauder do test, the third party it seems. Farm out ingredients to be tested and then say they don't themselves. They keep saying they are following the 5 year testing free but it seems to extend each year.

One list Peta will say a company test or don't. Yet the BUAV with show a company does test even if on the Peta don't list.
    DONNA

Roja Dove said all night on the BBC documentary that natural civet is banned. So its all synthetic now.
    DONNA

I also hear that thankfully most musks and castoreum are also synthetic.

There is also the cruelty-free hyraceum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Musk is banned and has been for a number of years. Its infact illegal to use it.
    DONNA