Code of Conduct

Default Rose de mai vs. Rose otto

I have smelled different rose scents from various perfumes (and also tried to find out what kinds of roses are used), and I sort of came to a conclusion that probably I like rose de mai (rosa centifolia), but dislike rose otto (rosa damascena). Well, most perfumes have both anyway, and you may think I'm just crazy or simply just stupid, but it's sort of my guess. What I believe is rose de mai scent from Bal a Versailles (Jean Desprez) and the middle-last notes of Une Rose (Frederic Malle) is just wonderful. But the otto rose scents you can detect in, for example, No.88 (Czech&Speake) and Hammam Bouquet (Penhaligon) appear to be kind of different and I personally don't like it very much. The former (rose de mai) is round and lovely, but the latter (rose otto) is the stronger/sharper and it comes with some animalic smell (like civet). Then here comes my question. Do you know any fragrance which uses rose de mai abundantly and exclusively (ie without otto rose)? Thank you for your info!

Default Re: Rose de mai vs. Rose otto

Rose Otto is very rich and heady,think real Turkish Delight. Or et Noir by Caron is a classic of this style. I have REN Rose Otto bath oil and it is to die for. But I also can find it too heady in many fragrances.

I do know what you mean. I like orange blossom but hate neroli they both come from the same tree,but smell very different.
    DONNA

Hi, I'm very new and this is my first post. Fragonard has a scent called Rose de Mai. The notes from their website are: rose absolute, floral notes, musk, amber. I haven't tried it, but it sounds beautiful.

Ladylonestar

Hi, Glamourpuss! Welcome to Basenotes. [smiley=beer.gif]

Question for rose experts: Is rose de mai the same as May rose? I know I have fragrances with rose de mai/May rose -- I'll try to see which they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Hi, Glamourpuss! Welcome to Basenotes. [smiley=beer.gif]

Question for rose experts: Is rose de mai the same as May rose? I know I have fragrances with rose de mai/May rose -- I'll try to see which they are.

[blue]Yes, indeed! welcome Glamourpuss and may your stay be a permanent one.

Not that I am an expert Ladylonestar, but I do love roses and rose scents, and, as a result of my love for both, I have gained a little knowledge over the years.

As far as I can recall, the species Rose centifolia goes by numerous names such as French or Moroccan Rose, Provence Rose, Cabbage Rose, and Rose de Mai or May Rose. However, strictly speaking, Rose de Mai or May Rose is a hybrid of Rose centifolia, Rose gallica, and a few other roses. It is therefore, a hybrid rose, which is specifically used for the production of rose absolute and rose concrete and is what is referred to when speaking of Rose centifolia, Rose de Mai, or May Rose in relation to perfumery and perfume ingredients.

scentemental[/blue]

Ladylonestar

Well, thank you kindly, Scentemental! I just get the feeling that Vibrant Violet actually may prefer a soft rose rather than the sharp rose, which doesn't mean that they're necessarily sweet -- not sugary or fruity sweet, that is. That's why I wanted to be clear on May rose and rose de mai.