Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sampled SL Borneo 1834.

Today I smelled Borneo 1834, the very anticipated patchouli from Serge Lutens' exclusive line. It was from one of those wax sample booklets Shiseido sents to you. Usually you loose the topnotes with wax samples.

I was expecting a very dark, earthy and rich patchouli; something in the style of Santa Maria Novella's Patchouli. Well Serge Lutens delivers something totally unexpected again. From patchouli he and Chris Shaldrake created a gourmand fragrance. And who says Patchouli + gourmand thinks automatically Angel. Patchouli 1834 is Angel but in a more refined/ladylike manner. The patchouli is not dominant, it's one of the main notes but it's not like the fragrance was biuld around it (at least to my nose).

The sample wasn't mine, I actually smelled rather quickly Borneo 1834 on the owner's wrist. So, I'm not able to give you more info about it's subtilities, only my immediate impressions...

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Sampled SL Borneo 1834.

Cedric, when you say "exclusive" line, will it be available in the US? I always get confused -- exclusive, import, export. From your description I can just almost smell it, and I think I'm going to want this Borneo 1834 fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Available officially as of today and I've just ordered a bottle unsniffed. I do hope, it doesn't smell too similar to Angel [smiley=undecided.gif] ! It will be my birthday gift, so I am not allowed to open it until mid of
    September.....

LadyL, it's one of the exclusive scents unfortunately, so only available at Salons Shiseido in Paris or
    online, if you live in Europe. It's about time, they'd change that policy....

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Safran
    LadyL, it's one of the exclusive scents unfortunately, so only available at Salons Shiseido in Paris or
    online, if you live in Europe.
    Oh, no, say it ain't so. [smiley=cry.gif] First Chergui and now Borneo. Thanks, Safran. Good to see you. Let us know what you think of the Borneo 1834!

This stuff dwarfs Angel. A jillion time better. It's gourmand yet, and to this nose, SO dark. You'll need a torch as you give in to it.

Nothing like Angel at all ( judged from the wax sample ) It is soft, round and dark.. I get licorice and tobacco at the beginning.. and in the drydown an unmistakable chocolate/cocoa ( I know there is no licorice or tobacco in it..but this is what I get ). Notes: "
    BORNÉO 1834: patchouli, camphor, cardamom, cistus, galbanum, cacao accord in the drydown "

Ohh.. and I just ordered a bottle.. even though my birthday is not until October

I am just coming back from the Salons du Palais Royal .... with a bottle of Bornéo 1834 .... this stuff is heaven ...
    I do not like Angel but Borneo is a wonderful, dark gourmand, a licorice and dark, dark Valrhona chocolate, I get fruity notes, but not obvious, just like the fruity cocoa notes ...

I am really impressed, the best Lutens from the exclusive line since long, better than Chêne and Fumerie Turque by all means.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you are speaking about it, I remember that my first reaction was saying that it smelled of chocolate.
    But I stay on my opinion: it's a gourmand in the line (!!! I'm not saying it's a copy!!!) of Angel. IMHO if Angel wouldn't have been created, Borneo 1934 would have smelled very differently. [smiley=wink.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you all, that sounds very promising ! Will share my thoughts too, in 2 weeks, if
    I can really wait that long....

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds wonderful! Being a HUGE Angel fan, I'm curious of course. Do you think most Angel fans will like it?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    This stuff dwarfs Angel. A jillion time better. It's gourmand yet, and to this nose, SO dark. You'll need a torch as you give in to it.
    I LOVE this description! Cheers, KV!

If anyone wants to share a bottle with me, drop me a line! I'm DIEING to try this!

**SIGHoflonging**
    How I wish I were in Europe!
    By the way, Chergui will be joining the export range soon
    I would be interested in splitting a bottle, I think, once I recover from the Caron sale...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Available officially as of today and I've just ordered a bottle unsniffed. I do hope, it doesn't smell too similar to Angel [smiley=undecided.gif] ! It will be my birthday gift, so I am not allowed to open it until mid of
    September.....
    Quote Originally Posted by lille_my
    Nothing like Angel at all ( judged from the wax sample ) It is soft, round and dark.. I get licorice and tobacco at the beginning.. and in the drydown an unmistakable chocolate/cocoa ( I know there is no licorice or tobacco in it..but this is what I get ). Notes: "
    BORNÉO 1834: patchouli, camphor, cardamom, cistus, galbanum, cacao accord in the drydown "

Ohh.. and I just ordered a bottle.. even though my birthday is not until October
    Jutta & Lotte, I ordered a bottle last night, too and my birthday won't be until in March... [smiley=wink.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    Smoochas to you, scent sisters!!! [smiley=kiss.gif] [smiley=kiss.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

Jutta & Lotte, I ordered a bottle last night, too and my birthday won't be until in March... *[smiley=wink.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    Smoochas to you, scent sisters!!! *[smiley=kiss.gif] [smiley=kiss.gif]
    hehe We are SiC... ( Sisters in Crime ) * *[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like one I would order unsniffed as well and my birthday isn't 'till May. It's a good thing I use it to celebrate all year. I just wish they would release these internationally because it's impossible for us in the States. [smiley=sad.gif]

Ohh.. and I accidentally ordered Rähat Loukhoum too... I have really fallen for those sweet deliscious scents. My order of KM Loukhoum from Luckyscents hasn´t arrived yet.. although I ordered and paid more than 1 month ago .. so I just can´t wait anymore..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ohh.. and I accidentally ordered Rähat Loukhoum too...
    accidentally???!!! [smiley=huh.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

[quote author=lille_my link=1125520816/15#15 date=1125678497]Ohh.. and I accidentally ordered Rähat Loukhoum too...
    accidentally???!!! *[smiley=huh.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] *[smiley=rolleyes.gif][/quote]

Yeah.. I sorta.. accidentally.. wrote "amount:1".. and ..then...kinda.. accidentally.. confirmed.. I really don´t know what happened... [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif]

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by pottlegirl
    By the way, Chergui will be joining the export range soon ...
    This is very good news! Thanks for the heads-up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah.. I sorta.. accidentally.. wrote "amount:1".. and ..then...kinda.. accidentally.. confirmed.. I really don´t know what happened... [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif]
    [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Sisters in crime, my bottle has arrived ! [smiley=smiley.gif] Only 7 more days to wait *[smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=sad.gif]

Let me know, when yours are there, ok ?

We will.. None today though.. hopefully tomorrow [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Being a fan of Angel I can't wait to get my hands on Borneo. Sounds like my cup of tea. Will report whan I get it.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sisters in crime, my bottle has arrived ! [smiley=smiley.gif] Only 7 more days to wait [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=sad.gif]
    You must have a patience of a saint, dear Safran! [smiley=engel017.gif]

Let me know, when yours are there, ok ?
    I sure will! [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Default I received..

a package today.. from the Palais Royal.. and i was almost shaking with anticipation when I opened it... and WHAT a bummer... The Rähat Loukhoum was there alright.. but NO Borneo!!!!!! [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] I just couldn´t believe my eyes.. I SO hoped it would arrive today, that I haven´t put on any perfume.. but zero. I have just been on the phone to France.. they were VERY nice... and I tried to explain in my very poor English what has happened..they said that they would look into it and phone me back.. so I hope things will end out ok. I have never had this problem before when purchasing from them.
    Oh well.. I shouldn´t have had it until my birthday in October anyways [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear that, Lille My! [smiley=sad.gif] Hope you'll get it if not tomorrow then very soon. Just try and enjoy Rahät Loukpum until that, it might be hard but maybe RL offers some comfort.

I got mine today and after the first impression I'm simply speechless: it's intoxicating and incredibly good, it's woody and medicinal, I get patchouli, camphor and a hint of cocoa.

I'm sure you and Safran will love it, can't wait to read your verdicts!

So sorry to hear that, Lille My! [smiley=sad.gif] Hope you'll get it if not tomorrow then very soon. Just try and enjoy Rahät Loukpum until that, it might be hard but maybe RL offers some comfort.
    They just called back and said that they were SO sorry.. they had made a mistake.. and will ship it out today priority.. so hopefully I have it at the beginning of next week. *And of course i will enjoy my RL.. it was just that my heart almost jumped out of my chest when the package arrived.. and I got SO disappointed.. because i really wanted to wear the Borneo today. But the important thing.. is that I WILL get it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I got mine today and after the first impression I'm simply speechless: it's intoxicating and incredibly good, it's woody and medicinal, I get patchouli, camphor and a hint of cocoa.

I love your description.. and .. although I only tried it from the wax sample..I agree wholeheartedly.. The camphor makes it very special.. and I find the hint of cocoa is like a "smile" in an otherwise "serious" scent. I can´t wait to get mine.

From the wax sample i found no similarities to Angel.. do you find that in the liquid version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They just called back and said that they were SO sorry.. they had made a mistake.. and will ship it out today priority.. so hopefully I have it at the beginning of next week. And of course i will enjoy my RL.. it was just that my heart almost jumped out of my chest when the package arrived.. and I got SO disappointed.. because i really wanted to wear the Borneo today. But the important thing.. is that I WILL get it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    I can imagine! But yes, the main thing is you'll get it. [smiley=smiley.gif]

From the wax sample i found no similarities to Angel.. do you find that in the liquid version?
    No, and I wore Angel two days in a row before. Borneo is not a gourmand, it's very woody and androgynous. The other SL scent it reminds me most of is Un Bois Sépia.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear that, Lille My! [smiley=sad.gif]

THANK YOU ! Now I know, that I won't have to give it away.... [smiley=kiss.gif].

Sorry to hear that, LilleMy, hopefully it'll be there any hour !

Cheers SIC,
    Safran

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After wearing this wonder for a couple of hours I must add I definitely get tobacco and liquorice, too, like you did, Lille My.

I already mentioned that Borneo reminds of Un Bois Sépia, but it also reminds me of A*Men and Yohji Homme. Still: Borneo is unmistakably a Serge Lutens scent, very "thick", well, a bit like an Oriental carpet. [smiley=grin.gif]

I love it! [smiley=kiss.gif]

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Tigs! You make it sound SO wonderful! It's just now starting to be on ebay, but way too high for my bank account. I will sample some day!
    I've trademarked the color bleu