Code of Conduct
    Ladylonestar

Default Sampled SJP Lovely (very long post)

On Friday I went out to ULTA Beauty to pick up some L'Air du Temps lotion to send to my sister, who is going to be in the hospital for awhile, and L'Air du Temps is her comfort scent lately. It had been soooo long since I had been out and around fragrances that I just couldn't resist doing some spritzing, despite the fact that I have a multitude of decants and samples already. Unfortunately, ULTA had no cards for spray-on so I was spraying in the air to get a general idea before spraying on my own skin. Well, lo and behold, I spotted Lovely! I was caught completely off guard as I thought Lovely was exclusive to a certain department store. Nordstrom, is it?

As best I remember, I sprayed some on my left wrist. And it was lovely. I wanted to remember every detail about it so I could give a full report. I think it's Buffalo Gal who is known as The Graffiti Lady, right? She writes on her skin the name of the fragrance she's applied in that spot. And then Serpent would go out for "quick sniffs" and come back with very in-depth reports, all from memory! And Perfume Hound and so many others are able to retain their fragrance impressions from their sampling/sniffing sprees. So how hard could it be to spray a fragrance and remember its development, right? Well...

I broke every sampling rule in the book. I was worse than a child in a toy store. Looking back, I was an embarrassment. You would think I had just discovered fragrance for the first time in my life. I got so carried away spraying this and sniffing that. I spotted the Jean Paul Gaultier Classique so, of course, I needed to sample it. It was, afterall, there, right in front of me. Very close to it was the Jennifer Lopez Still so I thought I'd give it a quick spritz. A little Coco Mademoiselle here, a little Rockin' Rio (again) there. Made some room for Clean Baby Girl. I pondered sampling Be Delicious once again but decided not to waste arm space and time on it. I checked out Crystal Noir again and I still really want that bottle, but ULTA "ain't" cheap. I did sniff Versace Woman since I'd never sampled that one. I sampled Marc Jacobs Perfume Essence Eau De Parfum and liked it. I forgot to look for Blush. And there were more, but I just don't remember how much more or what.

I went to the Lola cosmetics section as well as the Urban Decay sections, looking at their makeup, and I dabbed on some Lola. I think I'll definitely have to buy Lola. Then I spotted the three bottles -- Glo La Shimmering Dry Body Oil in Bronzed Goddess, Diva Gold and Pink Bling -- and I had to try them all. It took me awhile to realize that they were all the same scent. The difference was in their shimmer.

At Urban Decay I wanted to pick up some Oil Slick eyeshadow and I spotted Go, Sin and Pistol. So I had to sample the Go and Pistol. I already have Sin.

As for Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, all I can say is it's lovely. Uncluttered. Uncomplex. Demure. Safe. Even the bottle which I had initially thought needed a more substantial cap seemed... yes, lovely. I don't recall any specifics, but then I didn't exactly wait for the paint to dry, so to speak, before I was off and spritzing other things. I don't recall a particular note, nothing stood out, but I recall thinking it was gossamer-like. As for the comparison to Narciso Rodriguez, all I can say is that to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever. Mostly because NR turns to camphor on my skin so I certainly won't question anyone else's findings, that's for sure. I don't want to say that Lovely is unremarkable because it's really too lovely (there's that word again), but it is definitely not extraordinary. I felt no need to buy it since I've plenty of lovely (wow, is there an echo in here?) fragrances already.

So I left ULTA and had several more stores to shop in before heading home in the horrible heat and Friday traffic, and I had by that time completely forgotten not only what all I had sampled, but what all I had purchased at the various stores, how much money I had spent, and my own name as well. I was sitting in a long line of cars at a stop light, examining my hands -- the top of my right hand was streaked with the results of my eyeshadow sampling and the top of my left hand with the results of my lipstick sampling -- and as I was pondering finding a tissue to wipe them clean, I remembered the perfumes I sampled and I started sniffing my arms and wrists when... OMG! Something on my right wrist area was absolutely stunning! I mean it was fabulous and I wanted it immediately. Problem was, I had no idea what I had applied there. I knew it wasn't the Lovely. It might have been the Urban Decay Pistol, but it might have been the Lola. Or the Glo La. Or the Marc Jacobs Perfume Essence EdP. Or a combination of any or all of them! I wonder if it was the Crystal Noir? Probably the Pistol. I have no idea. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to go back to ULTA and start all over. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Remember, Scented Ones -- it's a fabulously-fragranced jungle out there -- sample responsibly! [smiley=wink.gif]

Default Re: Sampled SJP Lovely (very long post)

Wow, sounds like a great time to me! [smiley=happy.gif]
    Oh no, I had heard about Lovely and I was all prepared to just ignore it because I figured it would just be a knock off of her favorite perfume Skin Musk (which I wore yesterday). But "gossamer-like"? Oh heck, I've got to go find it now. BTW, I love JPG Classique! I find the edp smells very different from the edt, and I favor the edp. I don't know why I don't have a bottle of this yet.

Ladylonestar

ULTA has really cut back their fragrances, Plumeria, but it was, nevertheless, "dizzying." ULTA used to be one of my favorite places. It's where I found Boudoir and Yohji when the local department stores had none. It's also where I found Une Fleur de Chanel when it was supposedly exclusive to Chanel boutiques and Saks.

I think it was the JPG Classique eau de parfum that I sampled -- very pricey. I was surprised. I think they had the parfum for... I want to say $110 but I could be wrong.

well that is what happens when perfume addicts are held abstinent for too long [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] Sounds like you had a FAB time... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    At Urban Decay I wanted to pick up some Oil Slick eyeshadow and I spotted Go, Sin and Pistol. So I had to sample the Go and Pistol. I already have Sin.
    [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

As for Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, all I can say is it's lovely. Uncluttered. Uncomplex. Demure. Safe. Even the bottle which I had initially thought needed a more substantial cap seemed... yes, lovely. I don't recall any specifics, but then I didn't exactly wait for the paint to dry, so to speak, before I was off and spritzing other things. I don't recall a particular note, nothing stood out, but I recall thinking it was gossamer-like.
    I have to say that I'm a bit relieved; I wouldn't have expected anything groundbreaking, but it's also good
    that it's not awful (SJP's a hometown girl: I can't help it).

...I remembered the perfumes I sampled and I started sniffing my arms and wrists when... OMG! Something on my right wrist area was absolutely stunning! I mean it was fabulous and I wanted it immediately. Problem was, I had no idea what I had applied there.
    That sounds so familiar! As much as other people complain about pushy SAs, my real problem with in-store fragrance shopping is that I have a hard enough time keeping track of what I've sampled, much less how the scent develops on my skin. Most SAs just confuse me even more (and that's not difficult). After a couple of years on the fragrance boards, where I've become accustomed to sampling scents in the privacy of my home, I'm even more amazed at people who can visit stores and boutiques and come back with firm opinions about the scents they've tried.

Thank you, Loney! Sephora just opened it's first store in Cincinnati, and I'm already planning my upcoming visit.

Great post Looney! * [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] *I also wonder how people buy on a first sniff in some over lighted department store. *I think they pick up impulse buys that live on the shelf of regret. *To my Ohio friend: *I love walking the wall at Sephora and have been guilty of taking empty vials to fill - yeah, yeah, I ask first. *You'll have fun. *

OH MY WORD!! THAT was a fun read. Thanks for the good time. Evidently....if you've met one perfumista...you've met them all. I think I'm your clone. Can you say....been there...done that?

Thanks for the review.....guess I won't have to run out and purchase anything but the mystery fragrance on your arm.

What a wonderful post! Thank you LL!!
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

SJP Lovely certainly lives up to it's name, in my own opinion, but where I work it's doing horrible. The number one comment I get is: it smells like something from the 70s, or some such variant. I personally thinks it's good, not necessarily original but still good overall.

I normally am not a fan of scents too floral, but this one struck a chord with me.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

As for Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, all I can say is it's lovely. *Uncluttered. *Uncomplex. *Demure. *Safe.
    Oh Loney, what fun you must have had! I'm happy that Lovely worked with you and actually it did for me, too, for about 30 seconds. I caught the paperwhite in the top notes, swooned a few seconds, and then Whoof! It was gone. Perfumes are most definitely a chemistry thing. I can wear certain ones in summer that are absolutely 'oribble on me in winter and vice versa. So many of us are gaga over Tabac Blond, which just doesn't blend well with me. [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

I think it was the JPG Classique eau de parfum that I sampled -- very pricey. *I was surprised. *I think they had the parfum for... I want to say $110 but I could be wrong.
    I didn't know they made it in parfum! It must be fabulous. I just checked Macy's website and I see 1oz of JPG Classique "perfume" is $160.

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Thank you, Loney! *Sephora just opened it's first store in Cincinnati, and I'm already planning my upcoming visit. *
    I agree with Scentous. You will have such a great time at Sephora! I love the "wall of fragrance". You can spritz to your heart's content on the abundant supply of paper strips and the SA's will usually leave you alone.

Mark, may I ask where the Cincinnati Sephora is?? Might be closer to me than the one north of Columbus... Easier to get into big trouble! [smiley=grin.gif]

Cincy Sephora is at Kenwood Towne Center, on the 2nd level between Macy's and Dillards. Cincy Sephora is off the hook, out of control, over the edge.....It's doing very,very well.
    Gary

Thanks for the in-depth post LadyL. Am wanting to know which fragrance it was that you found so enchanting later on!

I enjoyed the way you used "lovely." I got loud and clear that lovely=average.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    Sephora just opened it's first store in Cincinnati, and I'm already planning my upcoming visit. *
    I would lose my mind in a Sephora! There are a number of them in and around Houston but, so far, nowhere near me. I'd have to practically plan a vacation to visit one.

Thanks to everyone for reading my very long post. I had a great time! [smiley=laugh.gif] Hopefully, next time I'll have some actual useful information to post. [smiley=beer.gif]

Lady L, LOVED your post! Thanks for sharing your experiences in the scent jungle! [smiley=grin.gif] Your report was luverly. [smiley=kiss.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Have to admit I enjoyed the shopping trip with every line that I read, LadyL.

THAT's the way to go perfume shopping, whether you buy any or not, you had a ball.

What a "lovely" time you had [smiley=grin.gif]

Sounds a bit like my shopping trip last week where I went a bit nuts and bought LOADS in the sale.

Hurrah!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ladylonestar

Today I got a sales flyer/brochure in the mail from ULTA and there's a scented sample of Lovely inside -- with a scented strip. What is the industry term for those things? This scented strip is awful and smells nothing, NOTHING, like what I sprayed in ULTA. This is more of a head-on collision between Prada and Narciso Rodriguez, a very strong and abrasive patchouli/musk. Extremely artificial, nauseating, headache-inducing. I can't believe this is the same fragrance I sprayed in ULTA. [smiley=shocked.gif]

I thought it resembled Narcisco Rodriguez too, Loney. Wow. I'm curious as to what you sniffed originally? Are you sure it was the same stuff?
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by FufuLaRue
    I'm curious as to what you sniffed originally? *Are you sure it was the same stuff?
    I'm sure it was Lovely, Fufu, but what came out of the bottle and hit my skin was a soft, pretty (though unremarkable) floral -- as best I remember, that is. Believe me, I would have remembered THIS odor -- it's so strong and obnoxious that I even contemplated throwing the scent strip away. I decided to seal it in a Ziploc baggie for now because I want to try to get back out to ULTA and resniff Lovely. This is unreal, I tell ya! [smiley=shocked.gif]

Did you say that they sent you a sample as well? Did you try the sample on your skin? Maybe it just smells aweful on a scent scrip, which is refreshing in a world of fragrances made to smell better on paper than skin! Another possibility is a dirty/defective scent strip...bacteria will turn things gross.

~Silk

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkandSteel
    Did you say that they sent you a sample as well?
    No. One of those inserts we often find in magazines or sales brochures from places like Saks, Sephora, etc. I call them scent strips but the industry probably calls them something else -- blow-ins? Anyway, they have a section you can peel back and smell the fragrance. That's what I got in the mail.

Did you try the sample on your skin?
    Yes, at ULTA. I spotted Lovely at ULTA and sprayed it on my left hand/wrist area. Actually, I sprayed it into the air first and sort of fanned it my direction, to make sure it wasn't something real stanky that I'd have to live with the rest of the day.

Maybe it just smells aweful on a scent scrip...
    Maybe so. But this scented strip and what I recall spraying are two entirely different fragrances. At the end of the day, after all of my sampling, trust me -- I had NOTHING on my skin anywhere that even vaguely resembled what's on this scented strip. I couldn't have made it through the store let alone all the way home with something on my skin that smelled like this -- it's not something that I can stomach.

Oh, well. As soon as time allows I wanted to go back to ULTA anyway and see if I can find out what smelled so wonderful on my right wrist. I'll definitely re-spray Lovely while I'm there.

Ahhh, I thought you meant they snet you an insert and a sample. I gotcha now.

~Silk

Ladylonestar

Okay. Here we go... I've been putting this off but I guess it's time to post this. I got to do a very thorough sampling -- double-arm, double-method -- last week, unlike my sampling frenzy at ULTA a few weeks ago. It went a little something like this:

I was at Dillards last week buying some makeup and thought I would sample Tommy Bahama for women, when I spotted Lovely. Apparently "exclusive to Nordstroms" shouldn't be taken literally. It wasn't on counter but behind counter so I had to ask the SA for assistance. She sprayed a good amount on a little piece of gray grosgrain ribbon and... I recoiled. It was exactly the same as the scent strip I had received in the ULTA brochure! I told her my story of spritzing some on my arm in ULTA -- how gossamer-like and lovely it was -- but that I sampled many, many fragrances that day so I wanted to re-sample it.

I decided I had to apply it to my skin because surely there would be the truth and it would be the same lovely fragrance I spritzed at ULTA. So I told the SA that I'd like to sample it on my skin. She said, "Are you sure?" Yes, I told her, I was sure. Why do you ask? The SA said that Lovely is very much a love-it or hate-it fragrance with many people leaning to the hate-it side. Wow. But I had to find out. On one arm a light mist above the arm, falling softly on the skin... not too bad. On the other arm a full-on, concentrated blast.

And I liked it, it was, indeed, so lovely, just as I remembered from ULTA... for about 15 seconds, 30 seconds, tops. The opening is very soft and pretty. After that... it's not something I can wear or enjoy. It's just as the scent strip in the brochure -- a very shrill, piercing patchouli/musk mess -- at least on my skin. Maybe it's the white amber. Does anyone know what white amber is or what it smells like? I don't. The top notes seem fine, but those heart and base notes are something else.

I wanted to wash it off but left it on my arm to get some opinions. The SA in Williams-Sonoma thought it was vile and was shocked it was the new Lovely. She said she'd been looking forward to sampling it. I could tell I really blew it for her, just as if I had revealed the end of a movie she'd been wanting to see. I met up with my son back at Dillards in the men's department. He gets very upset with me when I stick stinky fragrances up to his nose and I had promised him that I wouldn't do it anymore, but I did it anyway. "Oh, Jesus Christ, Mom! That smells AWFUL. Why do you do that to me? Now it's stuck in my nose." Poor kid. It was stuck in mine, too.

I'm afraid it *ain't* so lovely... or demure or safe or gossamer-like. At least not if you spray heavily. It does, however, remind me of something else but I want to resample that fragrance before saying what it is.

And they all lived happily thereafter...

THE END [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

And they all lived happily thereafter...
    Whew! Well, thank goodness- I was getting worried. [smiley=bath.gif] As far as the "stinky" side to Lovely I don't know whether to be surprised or say I'm not. I admit I wasn't rushing out to try it, and figured I'd get around to it sometime next year when it's at Macy's or something. I do feel badly for everyone else who was excited about it though. Perhaps you had olfactory overload when you first tried it?
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Great post Ladylonestar, love all the details. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Ladylonestar

I may have had olfactory overload, Key, or... perhaps I had the crazies from not getting out and sampling perfumes for such a long time (as Lille My said). I think it was the lighting -- the lighting in ULTA was causing a false fragrance reading! Yes, I'm sure that's it.

I, too, had great expectations for this one. Well, maybe I didn't have great expectations as much as great hope. Oh, well. I await with joy the next celebrity launch! [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Great post Ladylonestar, love all the details. [smiley=smiley.gif]
    Oh, Cedric! *That's so kind of you. *Thank you. *I look forward to your opinion of Lovely. *I had seriously thought about buying a bottle solely to decant and share, but I decided that $45 was a little too steep.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions and for sticking with me through this meandering thread. *You'll all be happy to know that I'm looking into a continuing education course called "How to be Succinct", which I hope to take as soon as I complete three weeks of "Your Time Is Up: Sit Down and Shut Up."

[smiley=beer.gif]

Lovely should come out in Europe later this fall. But lucky me... sunday I'm going to Montréal for a week, so I might be able to try it overthere.

I hope Allure Sensuelle will be available in Canada aswell, because Europe has to wait till spring 2006.

LOL! That sounds a lot like my own behaviour when I go out on a sniff tour...I am probably always breaking the rules, getting too carried away. The result is I usually walk out of there with this nauseatingly heavy cloud of the more dominant musk/bergamot/vanilla around me, and some totaly wild bouquet in the background.

I went to the mall today and lo and behold i wound up at the fragrance counters....imagine that. I walked by Lovely and i immediatly thought of Ladylonestar's post about how horrid it was. I sprayed it on the ribbon and thought i was not that bad. Then i remembered ladylonestar saying something about having to test it on your skin to get its real essense......or maybe that was someone elses terrible review of it. I spritzed a few times on the back of my hand and waited for it to dry down a bit. After about 5 or 10 minutes i thought it started to have a very cardboardish, caulkey type of smell.......could that be the "paper whites"????? I didnt think it smelled at all what most people would call feminine. Additionall, I couldnt help but think MENS COLOGNE!!!!!! Maybe this stuff should have been called Handsome instead of Lovely. Its hilarious to me that someone as dainty, petite, and pretty as Sarah Jessica Parker could lend her name to a scent this manish. LOL!!!!!!!!
    Awesomeguy

Ladylonestar

Rosberg, have you sampled Costume National? I need to remember to re-sample Costume National because I keep thinking Lovely may be similar. Not sure yet. However, I did discover a similarity between Lovely and... of all things.... Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune! Yep. It's true. I haven't checked notes on Pamplelune to compare them to Lovely but they smell very similar to me, although I actually like and enjoy the AA Pamplelune.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    I admit I wasn't rushing out to try it, and figured I'd get around to it sometime next year when it's at Macy's or something.
    Hi Artisankey! I just tried this today at the Macy's by me, so maybe all Macy's are carrying it now?

Thanks to everyone for your contributions and for sticking with me through this meandering thread. You'll all be happy to know that I'm looking into a continuing education course called "How to be Succinct", which I hope to take as soon as I complete three weeks of "Your Time Is Up: Sit Down and Shut Up."

[smiley=beer.gif]
    Don't you dare Ladylonestar! I enjoyed every word. Much more fun this way. [smiley=grin.gif]
    I was excited because the September Vogue had a scent strip of Lovely. I thought it was just ok at first, but there was something about it that bothered me. After a few more sniffs, I realized it must be the patchouli in it that I didn't take to. I think I have to resign myself to the fact that I don't like patchouli on me unless it's subtle and blended well with other notes. But in Lovely, I also don't like how it combines with the musk. When I saw it at Macy's today, I just had to try it on my skin anyway, and I do find it appealing in some ways, but I just can't see wearing this. Oh well, money saved.

Ok Ladylonestar, I'm going to the mall this afternoon and I will hunt Lovely down! I must see for myself and as for succinct - who needs a short description of perfume shopping? I want the full blown, vicarious shopping experience. Post on .....

I just saw this at my local Filene's. We're the last ones to get the new launches. Maybe I'll try Lovely on my skin next time. Have to admit I was underwhelmed when I sprayed it into the bottle cap and sniffed.

Hello from Canada,

I'm in Momtreal this week.
    Drugstores are great here, they carry most departememt store brands like Lancome, Biotherm, Clarins...

They had a tester of Lovely, on wich I jumped with excitement. I can understand why people have such mixed opinions because Lovely is a real chypre with lots of patchouli! The name of the perfume isn't right... it's not a soft fragrance. Lovely is the first real chypre in many, many years. It has the same mix of rosy heart and spicy basenotes as Coriandre and Maroc by Ultima II, quit a few reviews said Lovely had something of a '70s scent. If I compair it to more recent chypres, Lovely is closer in style to Agent Provocateur than to Narciso Rodriguez wich is a softer chypre.
    Not bad imho for something targeting a large audience.