Code of Conduct
    GnuGnuAntiloop

Default Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant (1996)

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I would LOVE to hear your opinions on this one! The perfume description sounds very, very intriguing and I'm tempted to purchase this scent blind - would it be worth it? Here's the description: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211953.html

Thanks in advance!

-Tero-

Default Re: Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant (1996)

When Jungle L'Elephant came out in 1996, gourmand orientals were not yet à la mode. Lolita Lempicka or Hypnotic Poison would be available only 1 or 2 years later. (I will not speak here of Mugler's Angel that I consider apart for many reasons too long to develop here). Maybe L'Elephant was, if not the trigger of this new trend, at least a precursor and my first gourmand signature scent (yes, there were times I only wore 1 scent ...)

Jungle is a creamy rhapsody of cinnamon, licorice, vanilla and clove hold together by a darker patchouli and incense that prevents the overall scent to be too sweet and foody and gives it a touch of "Woodstock". Bohemian Chic in a bottle, Jungle is foody and playful, elegant and creamy, a bit mystic without taking itself too serious.

Excellent staying power and sillage make it rather a scent one would wear during colder months of the year but it is a great scent for lush summer nights too.

GnuGnuAntiloop

Many thanks for your review elysee! This scent really sounds like my cup of tea and I've decided to purchased it! I let U know my opinion after the bottle has arrived!

Cheers,
    Tero

This is a really good spicy fragrance. It reminds me a little of Dinner by Bobo and Musc Ravageur in that they are primarily spicy, non-floral scents.

i never had jungle l`elephant but i had jungle the tiger and it is excelent very good one for summer time.

GGA - did your bottle come and did you like it? I got a bottle this summer too and it was too much in the heat. Funny with a name like Jungle Elephant and it smells so strong in humid weather?? I know I'm going to love this one under a sweater in the winter. Let us know what your reaction was?

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by Gewisse / Scentous
    GGA - did *your bottle come and did you like it? *I got a bottle this summer too and it was too much in the heat. *Funny with a name like Jungle Elephant and it smells so strong in humid weather?? *I know I'm going to love this one under a sweater in the winter. *Let us know what your reaction was?
    Funny you asked, since I got it yesterday!!! Have been wearing it today and it's been almost a tropical day, hot and humid, here in Finland. I shall write a "fuller" review tomorrow, but my first impression = a stunning explosion of cardamom, clove and mango, but no way too much for a hot day like this! And what a development! One of those scents which truly has top, middle and base notes! But more tomorrow...

Cheers,
    Tero

I'm glad you like it! I just HAD to buy a big bottle in New York...

Glad you liked it too. Waiting for your review.

I known this frangrance verry well because I have a bottle at home,this scents is more for older crowd.

Older crowd? Then Europeans have an old fashioned taste, when Kenzo Jungle was launched it was a bestseller with 18/25 year olds... [smiley=laugh.gif]

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    This is a really good spicy fragrance. *It reminds me a little of Dinner by Bobo and Musc Ravageur in that they are primarily spicy, *non-floral scents. *
    I couldn't have said it any better - comparing Jungle L'Éléphant to Dinner by Bobo is so hitting the nail on the head! They are very similar in character i.e. very heavy in spicies and hardly any floral at all. IMHO Jungle is lighter than Dinner and also goes through more dramatic changes.

Jungle L'Éléphant opens with a burst of mandarin and cardamom, but they quickly move to the background leaving the stage to the notes of caraway, clove, mango and heliotrope. I kinda wish the cardamom note would last longer, since I really like it's aroma (more than clove). The middle notes smell very "hot", almost burning to me and dare I say a bit tart and pungent too. This phase lasts several hours on me before the softer, creamier base notes turn up. I don't detect a distinctive patchouli note there, mostly just dry vanilla and some woody accord. Oh and the licorice note is nothing like in Lolita Lempicka, it's more subdued and also much woodier and drier. Overall I wouldn't decribe this scent a gourmand scent, or if so at least it would be necessary to add it's not a really sweet one. At the end the scent is rather quiet on me. To get more sillage I need to re-apply it. This is quite surprising, since in the most reviews I've read Elephant is described as a potent scent.

A friend of mine asked if I had a scent with black currant note when was wearing L'Éléphant yesterday. She found it okay, but a bit too sharp & spicy for her taste. My opinion? I dunno yet. I really love the opening notes and drydown, but the middle notes which last the longest could have a softer edge. Really need to wear it more times, especially since it seems to reveal new aspects every time I sniff it!

Cheers,
    Tero

I think you've described the licorice note to a tee - it's dry and woody where as the type in Lolita is candy like. Jungle has a moment for me that is almost medicinal and herby and I assumed the licorice was the reason. A very complex and long lasting scent. Don't get the "older crowd" association unless confidence comes with age and this one might require a bit of self-esteem. Thanks for the post~

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Gewisse / Scentous
    Don't get the "older crowd" association unless confidence comes with age and this one might require a bit of self-esteem.
    What a fabulous comment, Scentous! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I loved everyone's descriptions. I'm a fan of both Dinner and Musc Ravageur, and "Bohemian Chic" is just too tempting. I've never sampled Jungle L'Elephant so I must sniff this one out.

GnuGnuAntiloop

Dear friends,

I just wanted to let U know that I've decided to put my bottle of Jungle L'Éléphant for trade (anyone interested?). Jungle is indeed very fascinating scent, but I guess it's the spicies (especially clove) that are too hot for me. I sooo like the soft, vanillic, woody drydown, but I have to "bear" the pungent middle notes for too long. The same happened with Dinner by Bobo too - initially really liked it, but eventually found it too spicy for me [smiley=undecided.gif].

Sad Man Tero [smiley=sad.gif]

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you might wait until the weather turns cold and try it one more time? I really found this a cold weather scent that overpowers in the heat and humidity. It was just too much; but with the snow - oh yes!

After reading this thread, I took the plunge and ordered a bottle of Jungle l'Elephant. This site will be the bane of my banking account.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein