Code of Conduct

Default New member from Stockholm, Sweden

Hello all,

I´m Swedish, living in Stockholm, this is my first posting here and I´m a bit nervous. You all seem to know just about everything there is to know about fragrances and I consider myself an absolute beginner. Half of the brands you discuss here I´ve never heard about. Yet!

Anyway! My interest in perfumes has just recently started developing and first of all I would like your help to try to pinpoint what kind of "fragrance type" I am. What I managed to find out so far is that I seem to like vanilla, musk, patchouli and ylang-ylang, but I still haven´t found any site on the Internet where you can list your favourite fragrances and/or ingredients and get a list of recommendations ("If you like this, you would probably also like.....&quot

Here goes my top 8 list. I would be very happy for any suggestions about other fragrances that I might like.

1. Escada: "Magnetism"
    2. Versace: "White Jeans"
    3. Leonard: "Balahé"
    4. Versace: "Crystal Noir"
    5. Dior: "Hypnotic Poison"
    6. Kenzo: "Jungle"
    7. Yves Saint Laurent: "Opium"
    8. Carolina Herrera: "212 Sexy"

// Selma

Default Re: New member from Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Selma! How very nice to meet you. If you go to this site: http://perfumeconnection.com.au/ , and scroll down a little, on the left side there is something to click that says "Fragrance Advisor."
    Karen
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Hi Karen!

How perfect, thanks so much!

// Selma

Välkommen till Basenotes, Selma! I'm almost your neighbour: I live in Helsinki, Finland. [smiley=wink.gif]
    You have such wonderful scent shopping possibilities in Stockholm, I love Cow Parfymeri and C/o Stockholm.

Quote Originally Posted by Selma
    Here goes my top 8 list. I would be very happy for any suggestions about other fragrances that I might like.
    3. Leonard: "Balahé"
    7. Yves Saint Laurent: "Opium"
    I'm familiar with and like only these two and would recommend Coco and Shalimar for you to try, but you might also like Addict and Trouble.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hej Tigrushka!

How nice to find a neighbour here. I went to c/o Stockholm today for the first time! It was really amazing; they had so many perfumes that I had never heard about.

I´ll check out the ones you mentioned. Shalimar I tried already but I thought if was a bit too "shy". I think Versaces "Crystal Noir" will be my next buy; it had that little funny twist that I´m searching for. Could have been heavier, though!

// Selma

Pleasure to meet you Selma!

Hey! If you like Opium you must have pretty good taste! [smiley=wink.gif]
    Have you tried Opium's summer version? It's lovely.

Let's see....Stephanie and Holzman Misuki
    Must de Cartier
    Eau de Merveilles (Hermes)
    Le Braiser du Dragon (Cartier)
    Guerlain....Shalimar, Chamade, Mitsouko
    Anne Pliska...but don't know if you can get it over there.
    MPG Or des Indes
    MPG Fleur de Comores

There are too many to mention really......

Wow! Thanks!

I forgot to put two favourites on my list..... or, rather, since I know they are considered a bit cheap - not only in pricing - I didn´t really want to mention them at first....

They are Lily Prune "Patchouli Chic" which I really, really loved but which seems to be discontinued now. And Lily Prune "Cotton Musk" which I also love and use very often. It´s a bit childish and a little candy-like but just irresistible. "Sublime Vanilla" in the same line I also use from time to time, but it´s actually a little too sweet even for me...!

I strongly believe that perfume and music taste have some kind of connection. And I love the Buddha Bar compilations..... *drifting away*

GnuGnuAntiloop

Just wanted to wish you wellcome on board Selma! Another greetings from Helsinki!

-T-

Ladylonestar

Greetings, Selma! Welcome to Basenotes!

I think I'll put Versace Crystal Noir on my birthday or Christmas wish list. I'm crazy for the bottle but I also happen to like the fragrance, too.

If you love Opium, you may well enjoy MPG George Sand or Estee Lauder Cinnabar, or even Regina Harris. If you love Magnetism, you may very well enjoy Sonia Rykiel, too. And since you love Hypnotic Poison, you may enjoy (as Tig said) Boucheron Trouble.

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling you may also like Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax, Serge Lutens Chergui, Aquolina Pink Sugar, Chopard Casmir, POTL Luctor et Emergo, Creed Vanisia. I'm not sure why I think that, but I do.

Welcome Selma!

Being a kind of new myself, I enjoy it tremendously here: knowledgeable and passionate people from around the world make this place very informative and fun. We are learning from each other, so do not feel bad about not being familiar with the fragrances you see mentioned here and there. :-) (we are all in the same boat!!!!!!!) My German Oma used to be saying "Live and learn and die a fool". ;-)

Have you seen the directory of fragrances here? (Grant is doing a great job trying to keep it up to date!) You can leave and read personal impressions, or type in the notes in the search box and see what comes up. Please also visit other parts of this forum, I hope you find them enjoyable.

How do you like Thierry Mugler Angel? Vanilla, patchouli amd overall a must to try!

summer means fireflys

Welcome, Selma! *I haven't been here too long myself. *It's a great place with lots of great info. *I'm sure you will find all sorts of new fragrances to lust after! * *~Shannon
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Hello and welcome. This is a really friendly place,just post and enjoy yourself.
    DONNA

Wow, I´m overwhelmed by this massive welcoming! This seems like an extremely nice place.

And thanks for all the tips. I tried Thierry Mugler "Angel" very briefly in a store when I was in a hurry and yes, I think it is definitely "my style". Have to try it again though.

I visited the "Perfume Advisor" at perfumecollection.com.au; what a wonderful tool for learning. Guerlains "Samsara" tended to appear many times but that seems to be discontinued so I guess I won´t be able to try it. Also, Rochas "Byzance" seemed to - theoretically - be absolutely tailor made just for me but that is also an oldie, right?

The fascinating thing about this whole thing, though, is that a perfume that seem to be just right for you might not at all be that. And vice versa - suddenly you fall in love with a scent that you never thought you fall for when looking on the ingredient list. It´s a bit like with guys - when you fall in love with someone it´s seldom a person who has all the characteristics that you had decided you must have in a man....!

A very interesting thing about fragrances is how different they develop on peoples skin. My skin seem to be very "forgiving" to very heavy scents (or maybe I just have very tolerant colleagues....!).

I went to Greece this summer and on the plane I bought something called "Les Belles de Ricci" by Nina Ricci, just because it was a new release and was like 75% off the price. However, when I came home I realized that it´s completely uninteresting and not at all my taste. So it will be a Christmas gift for mum instead....

Now I should really log out, I set myself to clean the apartment this weekend. Booooring....

Hi Selma! Welcome!

I noticed that you tend to enjoy oriental scents, leaning towards ambery vanillas with a spicey edge, so here are some ideas that may interest you:

Castelbajac
    Strenesse
    Cacharel Gloria
    Les Nuits de Scherrer
    Cacharel Lou Lou
    Jil by Jil Sander
    Joop! Le Bain
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths
    Kenzo Flower Le Parfum
    Etro Heliotrope
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit and possibly Jicky
    Balenciaga Rumba

Hope this inspires you to go sniffing! Have a great weekend!

marlen

*waves*

Hi. Welcome.

~Silk

Tjenare Selma! En annan Stockholmare här. Don't have any recs, just wanted to say hi. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Hello, I just wanted to second what glorious1 already said, and suggest you try Mitsouko.

I have no further suggestions.. just wanted to welcome you from a fellow Scandinavian [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

How very nice with all these fellow Scandinavians. Så utomordentligt trivsamt!

Haven´t had much time for perfumes this last week but I tried Calvin Kleins "Obsession" when I ran through a store yesterday. What a weird smell! To me, it was quite masculine and somehow "angry". Not at all my style!

I must go to c/o Stockholm again asap..... So many perfumes, so little time...

Wish you all a wonderful weekend!

// Selma

Oh, how nice, another swede! Välkommen

So glad to have you here, Selma. *I might suggest Aromatics Elixir (don't know if you can get it in Stockholm) and Ambre Sultan. *I use AE in a roll-on only since it's intense but absolutely beautiful.

I'd also highly recommend Estee (beloved scent of a certain Texas lady on the forum) and echo many of Glo's (glorious1) choices.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Hi Selma

:::::waving:::::

Welcome to the board!!! Glad to have another member on the perfume journey [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]